Black is King (Disney Plus) Movie Review & Comments

10/10? I think someone's scales should be adjusted.

"Clearly, the world was crying out for this sort of content. It’s an important reminder that pro Black doesn’t mean anti anyone else, and Black is King is so rich in beauty and artistry that it truly invites every viewer to enjoy it, whether you’re a member of the Beyhive or not."

The world is not crying out for this content. I dare to bet most here wouldn't have heard about it without this article. Can this woke garbage be left from avforums? Sad to even see it here.

Edit. Should have stated that I would wish this would be left off the forums.

Last edited:
10/10? I think someone's scales should be adjusted.

"Clearly, the world was crying out for this sort of content. It’s an important reminder that pro Black doesn’t mean anti anyone else, and Black is King is so rich in beauty and artistry that it truly invites every viewer to enjoy it, whether you’re a member of the Beyhive or not."

The world is not crying out for this content. I dare to bet most here wouldn't have heard about it without this article. Can this woke garbage be left from avforums? Sad to even see it here.

Consider this is the reviewer that also gave Hamilton 10/10 and the awful 'Da 5 Bloods' 9/10. Not a reviewer that I consider in tune with my tastes.

Nothing personal of course, but based on other reviews Black is King is a solid and stylish music video akin to the Michael Jackson mini films, but with obvious political slants.

Regardless, it proves we all have differing tastes. And thats a good thing.

To say it's free of politics or, that people can be so with such titles now reserved for black/minorities, excluding whites in the name of equality and it having whited up black people is a bit rich.
Throw in a little monologue of how we're all the same, connected and then trounce that in content?
I'm all for equality but if a white artist dared to call something white is king, blacked up dancers/artists and had zero creative on included black people there'd be an outcry - in fact, there are.
So much smacks of 'inclusionist' on the other's terms of late and everyone is supposed to celebrate this. It's insultingly ironic.
People may like Beyonce and fair enough but all the royalist titles and elitism? Pah!

Hamilton deserved 10/10, tbh.

And it's getting very good reviews elsewhere:

Black Is King (2020) (100% fresh at the time of writing)

And saying "most wouldn't have heard of Beyonce's new film" is a bit ridiculous.

There really are some unfortunately regressive opinions on the forum from time to time.

Never heard of this and from looking at the trailer I have no interest in wasting the time and bandwidth on it. It looks perfect for the woke generation.

Consider this is the reviewer that also gave Hamilton 10/10 and the awful 'Da 5 Bloods' 9/10. Not a reviewer that I consider in tune with my tastes.
Beyonce isn't my cup of tea, but Kumari's reviews of Hamilton and Da 5 Bloods were bang on the money in my opinion.

Can you imagine the outrage if a white artist released something called “White is King” in this current climate!

Great that peoples viewing and therefore opinions can be widened with something that may not of been picked up by some forum members. I say let's have more, if you don't like it no one is forcing you to read the review and therefore watching the content...(I would hope anyway).

Well I’m all up for learning about new content that is adjacent to my normal space. I don’t think we should be afraid of being exposed to something different. Calling something ‘woke’ because it feels orthogonal to your interests isn’t cricket to be honest. That’s an insult to the content and the reviewer. Personally I think it’s great to see stuff like this on AVforums. It may not always interest me but I certainly welcome it.

Nothing personal of course, but based on other reviews Black is King is a solid and stylish music video akin to the Michael Jackson mini films, but with obvious political slants.

Regardless, it proves we all have differing tastes. And thats a good thing.
I'm not sure that black people are "crying out for this content". I'm also not sure that Hamilton and maybe even this, is really aimed at your average person, black or white. So the AVForums scores for Hamilton in particular doesn't bother me because the reviewer seems to be exactly the type of person this is aimed at. As for this. No idea, just not interested.

The Da 5 Bloods is Vietnam story told from a perspective that almost never discussed. Hundreds (if not thousands) of black conscripts died for this misbegotten war and yet all we got is Rambo and Oliver Stone films. No problem, but it's always useful to see another side of the story, especially in a film as well made as this one.
Can you imagine the outrage if a white artist released something called “White is King” in this current climate!
The climate is irrelevant and similar things have been released, just not necessarily into pop culture. What's happening now is probably an overcorrection. What's funny is that a lot of this is not actually being driven by black people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed you would be classed as a racist , people would be protesting on the streets and burning effigy's of the offending cast/director , etc, what a wonderful world we now find our selves in.

Last edited:
Hmmm.

Well, something like this is always going to be divisive, isn't it?

I dunno, you turn on the telly or go to the cinema and it's endless ONLY ONE MAN (who's usually white and heterosexual) as a dominating image, everyone else is either supporting, shunted to the margins, stereotypical or invisible entirely.

You don't need to have anything out there saying how important it is to be White and male as we're surrounded by it every single day of our lives. I don't have any problem with trying to redress the balance a bit.

Or should everyone know their place and put up and shut up?

Last edited:
If the reviewer feels it’s worth a 10 then it’s a 10 simple as that.I like kumari’s
reviews they are well written and enjoyable to read regardless if I agree with them or not.Its probably me but every time I read the word woke in a comment section just a little piece of me dies.

Hmmm.

Well, something like this is always going to be divisive, isn't it?

I dunno, you turn on the telly or go to the cinema and it's endless ONLY ONE MAN (who's usually white and heterosexual) as a dominating image, everyone else is either supporting, shunted to the margins, stereotypical or invisible entirely.

You don't need to have anything out there saying how great it is to be White and male as we're surrounded by it every single day of our lives. I don't have any problem with trying to redress the balance a bit.

Or should everyone know their place and put up or shut up?
The films with white heterosexual men aren't called 'White heterosexual man is king'.

If the reviewer feels it’s worth a 10 then it’s a 10 simple as that.I like kumari’s
reviews they are well written and enjoyable to read regardless if I agree with them or not.Its probably me but every time I read the word woke in a comment section just a little piece of me dies.
What is the opposite of "woke"?

Is it asleep? Or in a catatonic state? Or a place of constant denial?

I don't understand why people are so afraid of anything that presents alternative perspectives.

Not afraid 🤣 Just not interested in this particular piece of content. Hypocritical as well. If it was called White is king and would have people in blackface it would be deemed as racist as it can get. Rightly so.

Beyonce isn't my cup of tea, but Kumari's reviews of Hamilton and Da 5 Bloods were bang on the money in my opinion.

I thought Da 5 bloods was a very ameateur affair for a director like Spike Lee. In fact it was downright poor, from the direction to the sound editing. I stopped it half way through. The actors were great though.

Waaa a review on a private website liked a film I didn't like mummy make it stop! The reaction of some of these grown ups, pure snowflakes.

And complaints about black empowerment, lol wow. "Mum I know I've eaten well all my life and I've taken food away from Johnny but it's not fair that he's not inviting me to his dinner!"

Some opinionated posters have not watched it, nor have any interest in watching it for that matter... Yet here you are disputing the review score.

Give it a whirl and come back :smashin:

@Kumari Tilakawardane It was a thoroughly enjoyable review, thank you!

The films with white heterosexual men aren't called 'White heterosexual man is king'.
That's a little disingenuous since up until recently your statement was a given. In fact when you talk about the top 10% it still is. BTW, I'm not saying I agree with the way things have gone because I don't. But at the same time it is interesting watching the effective rulers of the world going through "some" of what people of colour (I hate that term) have been going through for centuries. The reaction is as expected when you've never had to even think about your skin colour before. Not very nice is it?
...And complaints about black empowerment, lol wow.
I personally don't find shaking my arse is very conducive to feeling empowered. But maybe that's just me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom