Black is King (Disney Plus) Movie Review & Comments

I don't think I'll bother with this, it really isn't my bag. If some folks enjoy it, fine. I just know I won't. I'm sick of all this blm stuff tbh. We have mobos and all these different groups etc for black artists etc etc. All it does is increase segregation imo. If we're all equal why do these things have to be a thing? Boring. Zzzzz.

She has previous with this sort of political silliness. Her review of Paddington 2 a while back included it.

For my money, with things the way they are at the moment, with white men especially being accused and blamed for every bad thing that’s ever occurred, you should keep this sheit to yourself.

The world is not crying out for it. In fact, from my experience, it’s becoming tired of having the same garbage rammed down its throat at every turn.

It's okay to have blacks whited up now too? I also find the title offensive. I mean, I don’t really (I just think it’s unacceptable), but that’s the way we get things done these days, isn’t it?

What is the opposite of "woke"?

Is it asleep? Or in a catatonic state? Or a place of constant denial?

I don't understand why people are so afraid of anything that presents alternative perspectives.
The only word I’m afraid of is impotent😩

My toddler son and I normally watch some YouTube music before his bedtime, but we tried this tonight instead.

Only got through 5 songs or so but was beautiful to watch. Must admit I didn’t really try to listen to the lyrics, or interpret what was going on, but was superb cinematography, and gorgeous locations. We normally jump around like idiots to the YouTube music but we both just sat there rather captivated by this.

Definitely plan to go back for some more.

People, can we remember to keep on topic.

It is fine to like this, or not to like this, 'visual album' even regardless of whether you have watched any of it. Provided forum rule 1 is followed always.

This is though the movies forum. Please remember Beyonce does not speak for humanity. She just happens to have the platform to express her opinions. This is not the place to force others to read your political views. You are directed to the Politics section thank you. So let's keep this thread about this release 😎

Many thanks

People, can we remember to keep on topic.

It is fine to like this, or not to like this, 'visual album' even regardless of whether you have watched any of it. Provided forum rule 1 is followed always.

This is though the movies forum. Please remember Beyonce does not speak for humanity. She just happens to have the platform to express her opinions. This is not the place to force others to read your political views. You are directed to the Politics section thank you. So let's keep this thread about this release 😎

Many thanks
I think there are almost two topics here:

1. The film itself - it's subject and presentation.
2. Its overarching message.

Unfortunately, it's virtually impossible to separate the two as both are inextricably linked.

What I will say is that this is probably the first of many. TV and film productions are finally realising they need to diversify their workforce, and create and put out alternative messages to reach a wider audience.

For everyone who's complaining that it's not what they want to see or even think about - get used to it! Of course film can entertain, but it can also inform and educate too.

@Derek S-H This has nothing at all to do with education. It is a shitty piece of content. But I understand in today's world you can't say that. But I don't care.
Yes it looks great, but anyone with a load of money can make good looking movies.
As I stated I am sure most would not have heard about this. "Break the internet" what a joke, an average meme gets more attention then this.
Regarding diversifying workforce, that has been going on for years. Diversity hires etc.
The problem is that they are not reaching a bigger audience with this. On the contrary, they are catering to a small group who just seems to shout the loudest.

society peaked in 2004......................................

personally i wont bother with this but each to their own, rather watch old GrandMaster Flash youtube videos

i loved the premise of the Da 5 Bloods but found the execution weak and boring and I love so many of Spike Lee's Films..Do the right thing is in my top 5 films of all time

Going to give this a watch later on...looking forward to seeing and hearing what it's all about.The review has certainly got me interested.

Never liked Beyonce's music, in fact I don't like nearly all black American music of the 21st century as it's over produced hyped up commercial rubbish so I absolutely have no intention of watching this Beyonce promo.

Temporary thread lock till the mess can be sorted.

Thread tidied. Gents, as has been said higher up, please keep this thread on topic.

society peaked in 2004......................................

personally i wont bother with this but each to their own, rather watch old GrandMaster Flash youtube videos

i loved the premise of the Da 5 Bloods but found the execution weak and boring and I love so many of Spike Lee's Films..Do the right thing is in my top 5 films of all time
Flash, Theodore, Wizzkid, Jeff & Cash Money :)

I'm a little sad that a Spike film should be ghettoised into the same category as whatever this is just because black people are responsible for its production. Saying that, Da 5 Bloods is one of my favourite stories. Notice I said story, not movie. It looks like amateur video shot taken at different times and pieced together. "I think" this is deliberate. For me this had great acting, and an interesting story told from a different perspective. I think that combination of amateur looking filming techniques and perspective not normally seen is what intrigues many of us, but might be turn off for a minority.

10/10! BiK writer-co director-producer, Beyonce what a visionary talent :love:

Last edited:
It's a sad indictment of the modern world that a reviewer can't express a personal opinion without someone jumping down their throat. That's especially true when they're reviewing a piece of art that is, by it's very nature, political. The same goes for Paddington, where the books and films are specifically about immigration, diversity and acceptance – subjects that Kumari would seem perfectly qualified to comment on. I could easily write a review suggesting Jaws is a commentary on political corruption, with Mayor Vaughan's actions analogous to Trump and Covid19. Or how Star Wars is a reaction to America's defeat in the Vietnam War. All these opinions are equally valid.

It's a sad indictment of the modern world that a reviewer can't express a personal opinion without someone jumping down their throat. That's especially true when they're reviewing a piece of art that is, by it's very nature, political. The same goes for Paddington, where the books and films are specifically about immigration, diversity and acceptance – subjects that Kumari would seem perfectly qualified to comment on. I could easily write a review suggesting Jaws is a commentary on political corruption, with Mayor Vaughan's actions analogous to Trump and Covid19. Or how Star Wars is a reaction to America's defeat in the Vietnam War. All these opinions are equally valid.
100% agree with the sentiment. Art is subjective.

"We’re in the presence of royalty" might not be a statement that should headline a professional review for a pop celebrity outside of a tabloid newspaper.

"Clearly, the world was crying out for this sort of content" says who?

The issue here is that the subjective is being turned into something else. This is a visual pop album with pretensions of being more. Personally, Beyonce is not the person I'm going to be taking my cultural and sociopolitical cues from.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't agree more! I thought that Kumari wrote another compelling review, really enjoyable and a nice change of pace for AVforums. I would love to read the below if you ever do get the time... :)

I could easily write a review suggesting Jaws is a commentary on political corruption, with Mayor Vaughan's actions analogous to Trump and Covid19.

Calling this a piece of art is a stretch of the imagination in my opinion. But art is subjective.
The fact that it has 10/10 scores everywhere has nothing to do with it’s quality but more the current climate.
It is a well written review though. Nothing wrong with the reviewer skills in that regard.

“I could easily write a review suggesting Jaws is a commentary on political corruption, with Mayor Vaughan's actions analogous to Trump and Covid19. Or how Star Wars is a reaction to America's defeat in the Vietnam War. All these opinions are equally valid”

Yes ofcourse they are valid. I suggest you try that approach in all future reviews and see what happens with your pageviews. You will see that although all opinions are equally valid they are not equally well received.

Couldn't of put it better myself! We should be all adults and have basic common sense and respect...but that clearly has gone out of the window! How many films like Steve has said have other undertones to the story...Jaws for example one of my all time favourite films shows even back in the 70s that are so true(even in todays society) but having the intelligence to know what its doing...music and movies have ALWAYS given diversity and that should only be applauded.

100% agree with the sentiment. Art is subjective.

"We’re in the presence of royalty" might not be a statement that should headline a professional review for a pop celebrity outside of a tabloid newspaper.

"Clearly, the world was crying out for this sort of content" says who?

The issue here is that the subjective is being turned into something else. This is a visual pop album with pretensions of being more. Personally, Beyonce is not the person I'm going to be taking my cultural and sociopolitical cues from.
I'm not going to comment on another reviewer's writing style, but the first quote is clearly a play on the film's title. As for the second, given the current worldwide protests and Beyonce's general popularity, it seems like a reasonable statement to me. I will say that as someone who regularly proofed Kumari's work in the past, I've always found her reviews to be extremely well written.

Last edited:
Couldn't of put it better myself! We should be all adults and have basic common sense and respect...but that clearly has gone out of the window! How many films like Steve has said have other undertones to the story...Jaws for example one of my all time favourite films shows even back in the 70s that are so true(even in todays society) but having the intelligence to know what its doing...music and movies have ALWAYS given diversity and that should only be applauded.
This has nothing to do with common sense and respect going out of the window. Why can‘t someone be allowed to be critical of things without being told they have no common sense or respect?
As I said I think it is ridiculous that this receives such a high rating. 10/10 is the best there is. In my opinion giving this that score is insulting to alot of truly good pieces of content.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom