Black is King (Disney Plus) Movie Review & Comments

Planet Earth has life for a plot.
Total fail comparing the two...

Fair enough. To be clear though, I don’t think they are comparable beyond both being visually arresting.

Was just trying to make the point that content without a conventional “plot” format has outdone all scripted shows on IMDB. So I don’t think it should be so grating that unconventional, more “sensory” content can be well reviewed here.

Ive still only seen half an hour, but, as stated above, I thought it was beautiful to watch.

Beyonce isn't my cup of tea, but Kumari's reviews of Hamilton and Da 5 Bloods were bang on the money in my opinion.

Reserving judgement till I've seen BiK, but I don't think anyone here agreed with her on Da 5 Bloods. Including and especially Spike Lee fans. You can be the most pro-black person in the world and still recognise a poor film when you see one. Just because something is about a minority group or issue doesn't mean it deserves top marks by default.

That said, I like Kumari's writing and she's entitled to review films however she likes. Just as the comments section are entitled to question those reviews (within the bounds of civility).

Fair enough. To be clear though, I don’t think they are comparable beyond both being visually arresting.

Was just trying to make the point that content without a conventional “plot” format has outdone all scripted shows on IMDB. So I don’t think it should be so grating that unconventional, more “sensory” content can be well reviewed here.

Ive still only seen half an hour, but, as stated above, I thought it was beautiful to watch.

Having not seen this yet(and probably will due to my wife), I assume this can be compared to Baraka or such.

I am however, not expecting it to be nowhere as good. Most probably style over substance but let's see.

Reserving judgement till I've seen BiK, but I don't think anyone here agreed with her on Da 5 Bloods. Including and especially Spike Lee fans.
This is the first place I've seen or heard so many negative reviews about Da 5 Bloods. Poor or not I still don't think that it should be lumped in with a pop video. Even an apparently well produced one.

Just because something is about a minority group or issue doesn't mean it deserves top marks by default.
This Is agree with. It does "seem" things have gone this way and that is to the detriment of the content. We already might have gotten to the point where good content is rejected by a small contingent as a knee jerk reaction against this trope.
Having not seen this yet(and probably will due to my wife), I assume this can be compared to Baraka or such.

I am however, not expecting it to be nowhere as good. Most probably style over substance but let's see.
What substance is there to Baraka? Isn't the whole point that it is a sensory experience, just like this is claimed to be ?

I have no interest in watching this (not my type of music). But I'm very glad it exists. For those who feel threatened, last time I checked us middle age white males were still firmly in charge of everything. It'll be a while before the balance is redressed.

Fantastic review, thank you. I'll be sure to check this out with my partner soon.
Also, after reading some of these comments, I'll just leave this here.

What substance is there to Baraka? Isn't the whole point that it is a sensory experience, just like this is claimed to be ?

Sensory experience of Baraka transcends language and geography and teaches us(actually reminds us) that we are part of all life on Earth, and not separate from it and in need of conquering it as we got ourselves to believe.

So,in my opinion primary focus of the movie is actually "spiritual".

Last edited:
Comparisons to Baraka have piqued my interest more than the review. That film and Samsara were incredible.
*edit*
I've always been interested in watching Baraka and Samsara. But yes my interest has been piqued :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I wasn't referring to you or your comments about the score. But I do believe some of the other comments on this thread border on sexism and racism (and the same is true of the threads on many of Kumari's reviews), and I don't believe that's a coincidence nor do I think it's acceptable.

However, I do find it amusing that people are getting so worked about something they have no intention of watching.

absolutely agree Steve...i see this in the forums whenever there are threads with content of BME communities there seems to forum members who seem to degrade to border on right wing nonsense and call it an opinion which has nothing to do with the actual content or review.

It usually means for mods they have to ride shotgun, and hopefully eradicate any potentially offensive racist/sexist posts ...

Last edited:
So you haven't watched it

Within 18 minutes of the review going up, you jumped on the score of the reviewer for a film you haven't watched.

And you've continued to try and dominate the entire thread for a film you havent watched.

At bare minimum you're being a troll and your attitude smells of having an even worse agenda.
I have watched enough to form an opinion. But you aren't seriously interested in what I think so that's why I won't answer you.
Trying to dominate? A troll? Or a worse agenda? Seriously? Go insult someone else will you?

Edit. You do realize the content was available before the review hit?

Steve - are you saying that Kumari, as the only Black female reviewer on the site, has received responses bordering on racism and sexism?

If this is the case, then it's deeply depressing and dispiriting and I fully support your decision to defend her. It also fully justifies her interpretation of film subtext and her use of language to describe her passion and enthusiasm.

You say you're bowing out of this Thread, so I guess you won't answer this, but what do you propose instead? What would you do if you were a filmmaker presenting an alternative perspective or a previously suppressed voice?

I dont think black people are being oppressed or suppressed. A filmmaker can make what he want, as it should be. But I can disagree with the message it sends.
But the message of the content isn't so much my issue in this case. It is the review, but I have explained this already.

Steve - are you saying that Kumari, as the only Black female reviewer on the site, has received responses bordering on racism and sexism?
absolutely agree Steve...i see this in the forums whenever there are threads with content of BME communities there seems to forum members who seem to degrade to border on right wing nonsense and call it an opinion which has nothing to do with the actual content or review.

It usually means for mods they have to ride shotgun, and hopefully eradicate any potentially offensive racist/sexist posts ...
I think the review more than the content is the issue here. I haven't seen anyone here being a "keyboard racist". I see a (sometimes justified) backlash to the overcorrection that is occurring. The most critical person of the Bey has been me.

The same review 10 years ago probably wouldn't be an issue. But with the current climate it will rub people the wrong way. I get that this seems to be aimed at POC content. But the content here isn't the issue.

*edit*
I see the same comment mentioned above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think black people are being oppressed or suppressed. A filmmaker can make what he want, as it should be. But I can disagree with the message it sends.
Your entitled to your view like everybody else but trying to suppress anothers because you don't like it or believe it is not cricket, the reviewer is entitled to her thoughts & feelings she has earned them.

I quote : Can this woke garbage be left from avforums? Sad to even see it here.

Perhaps in future all reviewers should just score their reviews of films with social commentary in them with good/bad/woke what do think are you onto a winner?

Your entitled to your view like everybody else but trying to suppress anothers because you don't like it or believe it is not cricket, the reviewer is entitled to her thoughts & feelings she has earned them.

I quote : Can this woke garbage be left from avforums? Sad to even see it here.

Perhaps in future all reviewers should just score their reviews of films with social commentary in them with good/bad/woke what do think are you onto a winner?

Ok. Fair enough. I should have stated that I wish this woke garbage would be left from avforums. As I do think it should be allowed. l think it's just sad to see it here.
Everyone should be entitled to voice their opinions.

That's not the reason why I didn't like it. I don't give a chuff because it was made by a black woman and it has black in the title. If it was made by Britney Spears I'd still dislike it as much. What gets me is the prentention of the piece. Yes it's well photographed but as a previous member pointed out if you have a big enough budget it's not difficult to make a tampon advert look like Lawrence of Arabia. I don't like Beyonce's music end of. As I stated previously being a massive lover of black music all my 50+ life contemporary 21st century black music has been destroyed by the industry. Now if the youth of today are looking for a piece of music that reflects black identity & culture and is truly a sublime work of art then listen to Gary Byrds The Crown. This is music that comments on black history and is damn funky with it.

Just finished this and the first and only thoughts are what a steaming pile of crap it is, if your expecting Baraka Samsara levels of excellence you are gonna be left massively disappointed, this felt just like a cheaply done collection of imitation art that looks like it was shot for ad break advertising, the amount of pouting jigglin that Beyonce does is ridiculously bad that it comes off extremely laughable in such a tw****sh way. 1/10

Hi me again. It appears some members are conflating artistic merit versus entertainment versus popularity versus personal political views?

The visual album is not a new idea. Prince and Pink Floyd did it and that was before I was born.

Two members have received warnings for disregarding the request to stay on topic. This thread is not a platform to announce your nomination for earth president. Take the politics to the politics section
People, can we remember to keep on topic.

It is fine to like this, or not to like this, 'visual album' even regardless of whether you have watched any of it. Provided forum rule 1 is followed always.

This is though the movies forum. Please remember Beyonce does not speak for humanity. She just happens to have the platform to express her opinions. This is not the place to force others to read your political views. You are directed to the Politics section thank you. So let's keep this thread about this release 😎

Many thanks

Ok. Fair enough. I should have stated that I wish this woke garbage would be left from avforums. As I do think it should be allowed. l think it's just sad to see it here.
Everyone should be entitled to voice their opinions.
Great I am glad we agree, so would you kindly correct/edit your first post then everybody is happy especially you, as you wouldn't want there to be any misunderstanding.

Well managed about 20 minutes and didn't seem to transcend anything for me.

Not a Beyonce fan but given the reviews i thought I would give it a go.

Can't say I agree with the compliments on the visuals, just seems a bit of a mess and many a low budget amateur Youtuber can manage very pretty scenery and videography.

Well managed about 20 minutes and didn't seem to transcend anything for me.

Not a Beyonce fan but given the reviews i thought I would give it a go.

Can't say I agree with the compliments on the visuals, just seems a bit of a mess and many a low budget amateur Youtuber can manage very pretty scenery and videography.

Good to see a constructive post.

I don’t post here that often, but felt that I should as I’m disturbed by some of the posts on this thread...
Kumari’s review was very well written and it described perfectly well the content of this. I feel sorry for her having to see such a response.
If you don’t think it’s for you then fine, but please don’t dress up your ‘What would happen if I made a film called White is King’ thoughts as anything other than knee-jerk [R-word removed under advisement]. You don’t have to be offended or angry because someone else likes things that you don’t.
AVForums’ editorial standards are pretty high and I think it should be encouraged that reviews don’t just centre around ‘crashy-bangy’ stuff! Well done to the whole AVF team for making your film reviews a go-to place!
Try something out of your comfort zone … this is how we learn and grow.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom