Question Black Widow: Aluminium Composite vs. Wall

DenysK76

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just about to start building the screen and I have a dilemma:

1. paint on the wall:
+ can adjust the picture size 2.5-5m width
- not very smooth surface, possible some grains.

2. pain on the Aluminium Composite Sheet.
+ looks better, looks like a real screen with black borders
+ very smooth
- limited size, found only 3m width max

Any thought?

Thanks.

3m is pretty big. If it was me I'd prefer a smaller, high quality surface over a larger, rougher/more amateurish-looking one.

I'm no expert but a 5m wide screen would mean a hight of over 2.5m , ceiling heights are usually 2.4 , do you have a very high ceiling that would allow a screen width as much as 5m also considering the centre speaker position .

Ceiling is 2.7m, so I can make it 2.5 high, but I end up with 3.05x1.5m screen as this is the max size for aluminium board. Waiting for delivery of 3xA3 board to start testing the colour :)

A 5m screen does sound epic , trying to think what you could use but can't think of anything , I think even if there was a board that size it would be imposable to get it in the house ,

How far from the screen would you be seated , is the cost of a proper screen that size to expensive

The dilemma is Aluminium Composite Sheet vs. the wall (I can get builder to polish it :) )
There are flexibility of the wall vs. good looking screen. Still haven't decided yet. The wall size: 5.5m width x 2.7m height.

How far from the screen would you be seated , is the cost of a proper screen that size to expensive

The sofa is 4-4.5m from the screen, I'm making black widow screen so the cost is £110 for the ACS + €100 for making it look like a screen, so not too bad.

So really its quality of the composite aluminium sheet (the surface) vs. wall, I'm sure you can't have a wall polished as good as the ACS, can you?

I use ACS for signs and the matt white looks a perfect finish. Are you going to paint it? I'd like to know how it is as a screen unpainted.

I ordered 3xA3 ACS and will paint 2 (black widow) and one will leave unpainted, if you interested I will post some results here.

Spoke to my builder - he can make a wall perfectly polished, so going to stick with the "wall" and probably do some borders different colour later when I settle the picture size.

Tried to look at anamorphic lens for projector to display 1x2.39 content properly, coming up really expensive, wondering if people just zoom out black bars away from the screen?

Well, here is my 5c.

I pained 2 ACS sheets with:
1. Dulux GS1 plain
2. Dulux a mix of GS1 x 4, Auto-Air Aluminium Base Fine x 1
3. left unpainted.

So results are interesting, 1 and 2 looks identical to me, 3 is of course is much worse then 1 or 2

See attached, left = 3, middle = 2, right = 1

IMG_5243.JPG
IMG_5240.JPG
IMG_5239.JPG

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom