Bowers & Wilkins Formation Flex Wireless Speaker Review & Comments

Hi, thanks for the insightful review. It seemed to echo my feelings entirely. Nice speaker, but at ... £1,700 , and the yearly subscription on Roon on top of that... you might get some real speakers for that kind of money!
I can see a business case for millionaire or two who do not care too much about sound quality ....
otherwise wait until they are discontinued and then pick them up in the bargain basement.
So: how come this ends up getting "8" for "Value for Money"?

Ok, maybe i am too harsh here, since you do not need an amplifier and streaming device, but still.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the insightful review. It seemed to echo my feelings entirely. Nice speaker, but at ... £1,700 , and the yearly subscription on Roon on top of that... you might get some real speakers for that kind of money!
I can see a business case for millionaire or two who do not care too much about sound quality ....
otherwise wait until they are discontinued and then pick them up in the bargain basement.
So: how come this ends up getting "8" for "Value for Money"?

Ok, maybe i am too harsh here, since you do not need an amplifier and streaming device, but still.
I'm not sure where you're getting £1,700 from, the Flex is £399.

I’ve listened to a few from this new B&W range and I like them, apart from the price.

I thought the Wedge was possibly the best, great sound, but how many people are in the market for a single speaker for £900?! I suppose it is a growing niche at least.

I should imagine that a pair of the Wedges would be excellent without the subwoofer, but I don’t think they have enabled stereo pairing and a pair would still cost £1,800.

The Flex reviewed here wasn’t quite good enough in a pair without the sub (in my view) and with a sub they’d cost £1,700.

My computer speaker set up is a pair of B&Ws ancient MM-1s combined with an ASW 608 subwoofer. It sounds great, but I’d expect 2x Flex and 1x Bass to beat it fairly comfortably. So it should, of course, my set up would have been less than half the price if I had paid full price for it.

Last edited:
The Formation range is very expensive, although at 'only' £399 the Flex is the value proposition. Just wait until you read my thoughts on the Formation Bar soundbar (and I'm using that word loosely).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom