Bowers & Wilkins PX7 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone Review & Comments

My big concern with the PX7s is that, like the PX, they cannot be used passively and wired.E

I am 95% certain I read that these could be connected via USB-C and would subsequently show as an audio output in your OS of choice. Kind of perfect if using a MBP

I am 95% certain I read that these could be connected via USB-C and would subsequently show as an audio output in your OS of choice. Kind of perfect if using a MBP
Not great news with a DAP, external DAC or in an airline cabin, though.

Not great news with a DAP, external DAC or in an airline cabin, though.

Can't argue with that.

I got rid of my PX as the comfort was just rubbish. I travel a lot and have the first trip of the year potentially looming in a week. Need to make a decision on my travel setup. Really don't want to compromise sound quality so going to forgo BT. Honestly, I think I might hit eBay for a set of Oppo PM3. Then just find a convenient USB Dac

I am glad they focused on sound quality first. This to me is much more important then noise cancelling, which is available but not as good as Bose 700/Sony WH1000XM3.

Senn M3 is also a good sounding BT Headphone, but low end base is too woolly. They are much better then Bose 700/Sony WH1000XM3. These P7’s are the best BT sounding over ear headphone [excluding HIFIMAN ANANDA BT = £1,200+].

i have owned all of the above, apart from HIFIMAN ANANDA BT.
Have you tried the Dali iO-6s? I think they're amazing, particularly with a Dragonfly attached. WAY better than the Sonys for sound quality but agree they don't match them for noice cancelling.

Can't argue with that.

I got rid of my PX as the comfort was just rubbish. I travel a lot and have the first trip of the year potentially looming in a week. Need to make a decision on my travel setup. Really don't want to compromise sound quality so going to forgo BT. Honestly, I think I might hit eBay for a set of Oppo PM3. Then just find a convenient USB Dac

What was it about the comfort that was not to your liking?

i found the cups desired to turn inwards on my face. I appreciate that isn't a great articulation of the issue. hard to describe. They felt very rigid to me and I really had to get them in a sweet spot to be comfortable. Once there they were fine but i think headphones need to be more forgiving than that.

They were a totally decent performer musically and I'd often silence the ANC when travelling as it would degrade the sound quality a fair bit to my ears. Ideally I want something that will perform well with both movies and music.

Glad I’m not the only one, never really gave the px’s much of a chance music wise as I never found them comfortable enough to wear for longer than 10minutes.

The bar for me so far has been set by the Sony’s, very comfortable and sounded good, not sure why I moved them on :thumbsdow

20% off these direct from Bowers until 17th Feb

20% off these direct from Bowers until 17th Feb
Think the 20% only applies to the Silver ones, and isn't just available direct. It looks like Sevenoaks are currently doing it on both Space Grey and Silver.

I'm still debating whether to get some. I currently using a pair of Focal Spirit One S with a Mojo paired with a Galaxy S9+ (playing FLACs with USB Audio Player Pro), which I tend to use mostly at work. Given Ed's comment that their performance is in the £150-£200 region, I don't know how much of an upgrade they would be apart from adding ANC and wireless.

I also tend to use my Focals as a headset for online meetings.

Think the 20% only applies to the Silver ones, and isn't just available direct. It looks like Sevenoaks are currently doing it on both Space Grey and Silver.

I'm still debating whether to get some. I currently using a pair of Focal Spirit One S with a Mojo paired with a Galaxy S9+ (playing FLACs with USB Audio Player Pro), which I tend to use mostly at work. Given Ed's comment that their performance is in the £150-£200 region, I don't know how much of an upgrade they would be apart from adding ANC and wireless.

I also tend to use my Focals as a headset for online meetings.
Yes you’re right it’s silver and gold only and they’ve dropped on Amazon too (via sevenaoaks)

just got myself some beoplay h9’s so I’m definitely not in the market for any 😬

The Sennheiser will be written up for here shortly so watch this space.

Thanks, Ed. Made some comments on that review thread, as (a) there was no mention of the fact that the M3s could be used passively (wired with ANC and internal amp turned off) and some other issues.

Hi Ed,
On your recommendation in the last podcast I bought a pair of these and so far I'm really pleased with them. They are comfortably and more importantly, for Bluetooth headphones, they sound excellent. For example I've just been listening to the Eagles live at the Forum that's just been released and they really reproduce the stadium feel of the concert well. 😊

Read the review with interest. I purchased a set of PX7s Carbon Edition from AMZ during the Black Friday deals. I've been waiting to get these to replace my PXs for a while now and the new updated finish as well as a super discount triggered the buy button.

I love the sound of the PXs. But, like many, they are uncomfortable after 30min or more. Although I have used them regularly on long-haul flights. Just sorta put up with the discomfort. So I was really looking forward to getting these as all reviews had stated B%W had fixed the comfort issues.

Comfort wise they really do not disappoint. Can easily wear these for ages. Build quality is good and they are light..... however....and this is a BIG however.... the sound!?!

Let me preempt this by stating that I really hope I got a dud pair because I find the sound almost unbearable. Especially on high dynamic range tracks with heavy bass lean....e.g. Lianne LeHavas, Elbow... Bon Iver etc.

I did write to B&W customer support and received a rather speedy response that told me they needed +40hours of burn-in and that the bass would settle down, the mids/vocals would become more pronounced and the clarity and separation would lift. The agent also stated that the PX7's were better than the PXs in every way and to give them a chance.

I've had these playing for about 3 recharge cycles, so 50-60 hours and they still sound like a cheap pair of bass-heavy gaming headphones. The bass is so over-pronounced that it becomes uncomfortable to listen to anything with a reasonable bass dynamic recorded in the last 20 years. They have settled down a bit, but only by fractions.

I generally prefer a warm sound to a neutral. I love the PXs and they do not have a light bass. The PXs are in a different league to these. The PXs make me smile when I listen to tracks I love. The PX7's make my head spin. Vocals are down near the floor, the bass is massive, muddy and overpowering and the highs are an afterthought.

I had read that they were a bit bass-heavy out of the box but most reviewers gave the B&W's an edge over the Sony 1000XM4s. I Wonder has anyone else found the same or (as I hope) I've a dud set!?! I can’t for the life of me understand how any reviewer worth his/her salt would think these sound good let along great.

Interesting info on what it would take to “Fix” them here:

jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

I used an eq on my Mac to test and they’re not wrong. The tweaks definitely normalised the sound. Makes you wonder why B&W didn’t include an EQ in their App. Using an EQ is a pain. Especially when I didn’t need one with the PXs or any other headphones I have. iPhone doesn’t have a system wide EQ either so you have to download a paid app that then links to your Tidal account and use that. No thanks.

I'll give them another 2-3 days but I'm not holding my breath.

BTW…Audio content is almost entirely Tidal (High/MQA) and I use iPhone, MacBook Pro as source.

Cheers
Grif

Read the review with interest. I purchased a set of PX7s Carbon Edition from AMZ during the Black Friday deals. I've been waiting to get these to replace my PXs for a while now and the new updated finish as well as a super discount triggered the buy button.

I love the sound of the PXs. But, like many, they are uncomfortable after 30min or more. Although I have used them regularly on long-haul flights. Just sorta put up with the discomfort. So I was really looking forward to getting these as all reviews had stated B%W had fixed the comfort issues.

Comfort wise they really do not disappoint. Can easily wear these for ages. Build quality is good and they are light..... however....and this is a BIG however.... the sound!?!

Let me preempt this by stating that I really hope I got a dud pair because I find the sound almost unbearable. Especially on high dynamic range tracks with heavy bass lean....e.g. Lianne LeHavas, Elbow... Bon Iver etc.

I did write to B&W customer support and received a rather speedy response that told me they needed +40hours of burn-in and that the bass would settle down, the mids/vocals would become more pronounced and the clarity and separation would lift. The agent also stated that the PX7's were better than the PXs in every way and to give them a chance.

I've had these playing for about 3 recharge cycles, so 50-60 hours and they still sound like a cheap pair of bass-heavy gaming headphones. The bass is so over-pronounced that it becomes uncomfortable to listen to anything with a reasonable bass dynamic recorded in the last 20 years. They have settled down a bit, but only by fractions.

I generally prefer a warm sound to a neutral. I love the PXs and they do not have a light bass. The PXs are in a different league to these. The PXs make me smile when I listen to tracks I love. The PX7's make my head spin. Vocals are down near the floor, the bass is massive, muddy and overpowering and the highs are an afterthought.

I had read that they were a bit bass-heavy out of the box but most reviewers gave the B&W's an edge over the Sony 1000XM4s. I Wonder has anyone else found the same or (as I hope) I've a dud set!?! I can’t for the life of me understand how any reviewer worth his/her salt would think these sound good let along great.

Interesting info on what it would take to “Fix” them here:

jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

I used an eq on my Mac to test and they’re not wrong. The tweaks definitely normalised the sound. Makes you wonder why B&W didn’t include an EQ in their App. Using an EQ is a pain. Especially when I didn’t need one with the PXs or any other headphones I have. iPhone doesn’t have a system wide EQ either so you have to download a paid app that then links to your Tidal account and use that. No thanks.

I'll give them another 2-3 days but I'm not holding my breath.

BTW…Audio content is almost entirely Tidal (High/MQA) and I use iPhone, MacBook Pro as source.

Cheers
Grif
Interesting you say that. I have never listened to the PXs so can't compare but I love the sound of my PX7s. I find them really comfortable too. My old headphones were some on ear Sonys and the B&Ws are so much better. In fact I'm listening to them right now as I type. Some Joe Walsh. 🙂 Maybe they suit my musical taste which leans to rock and heavy rock music.

I should add that I use either my Samsung galaxy S5 tablet or galaxy S10e phone and Amazon music hd as my source

Well it's the first time I've purchased a set of headphones where I didn't really like the sound. I listen to all types of music. Rock too. It sounds OK but as if I cranked up the bass knob on an old Amp all the way to 11! :).

Currently have:
B&W PX
PowerBeats Pro
Sennheiser HD25

All of the above sound better.

I'm no bass slouch either, as I said, I like a warm sound and use a sub with both of my audio systems.

All they seem to need is a slight reduction, about -5db on the lower end, it would make all the difference.

I'll run these for another 24 hours and see if there's any change. If not I think I'm going to try another pair, Hopefully AMZ will replace. Maybe they messed up something with the Carbon Edition....

Well it's the first time I've purchased a set of headphones where I didn't really like the sound. I listen to all types of music. Rock too. It sounds OK but as if I cranked up the bass knob on an old Amp all the way to 11! :).

Currently have:
B&W PX
PowerBeats Pro
Sennheiser HD25

All of the above sound better.

I'm no bass slouch either, as I said, I like a warm sound and use a sub with both of my audio systems.

All they seem to need is a slight reduction, about -5db on the lower end, it would make all the difference.

I'll run these for another 24 hours and see if there's any change. If not I think I'm going to try another pair, Hopefully AMZ will replace. Maybe they messed up something with the Carbon Edition....
Good luck. I hope you get it sorted

I've just purchased a 2nd hand set of these from the classifieds. To say I'm a happy bunny is entirely true, very impressed

I can confirm this is 100% true, thanks for mentioning it as I'm not sure it would have occured to me to try. It's actually more convenient to use USB on my iMac as the headphone socket will disable the internal speakers but I can switch between speakers and USB without unplugging.

The build quality seemed pretty good to me at first too. But, now, 3 years later, the headphone arm has come out of the headrest and there is no way for me to put it back in. So, thinking B&W would stand behind its product, even though it is out warranty, at least offer me a repair at a decent price, customer service today said that THEY DO NOT OFFER REPAIRS AT ALL. That makes the pair I bought the MOST EXPENSIVE DISPOSABLE HEADPHONES EVER. They would offer a 25% discount on a replacement pair. Very disappointing.

The build quality seemed pretty good to me at first too. But, now, 3 years later, the headphone arm has come out of the headrest and there is no way for me to put it back in. So, thinking B&W would stand behind its product, even though it is out warranty, at least offer me a repair at a decent price, customer service today said that THEY DO NOT OFFER REPAIRS AT ALL. That makes the pair I bought the MOST EXPENSIVE DISPOSABLE HEADPHONES EVER. They would offer a 25% discount on a replacement pair. Very disappointing.

Sadly it's the same with most "consumer electronics" such as Bluetooth headphones etc... The way they are made means they are fully sealed units, which means they cannot be repaired.

This isn't just a Bowers & Wilkins thing, most similar headphones will last 3-4 years of constant use and then be a bit useless - hence why I rarely use Bluetooth headphones, and prefer passive ones.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom