Bricking up garage door with a window advice

markie g

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We we're currently planning converting the garage into a room. We will be doing it as a little project ourselves so trying to keep costs to a minimum.

We've had 1 builder out so far to get a quote, and he mentioned if we were to have a window the full width of the garage door it would save around £600 as there wouldn't be additonal brick work either side of the window. We've priced up a full width window and it's literally not much more (~£100).

I've attached a image of what it is currently and what we hope it will look like when done.

All sounds good, however i've got a question I hope someone could help me with...

Our house is about 20 years old, so has the standard brick, gap, insulation, breeze block. Would the requirements for the new brick and window section require this methodology all the way from the floor to the ceiling? The reason i ask is that the inside of the garage edges there's not a massive amount of room: 1 side about 5cm and other side about 8cm. We will be dot and dabbing the walls so there's enough for that which seems a standard of about 3cm.
But my concern is that we need to breeze block all the way up (or do we?)

I've attached 2 images of the walls either side to show how much we have to play with.

I've attached a image which i hope helps show what i mean also. What would the requirements for the blue section be? Could we just have breeze block on the inside to the window level, then insulation up those side hidden with plasterboard? You can see the garage walls are fairly thick anyway so hoping that's ok?

I hope this makes sense.

Attachments

• IMG_0589.PNG
    IMG_0589.PNG
    172.3 KB · Views: 1,063
  • IMG_0590.PNG
    IMG_0590.PNG
    290.5 KB · Views: 1,750
  • IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 932
  • IMG_0585.jpg
    IMG_0585.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 1,018
  • IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 878
  • plans.jpg
    plans.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 1,554
there should be a lintel above the garage door , most likely a catnic one , can you look around the inside of the garage at the top of the door and see what's there ?

Are you involving Building Regs in this? If you are, ask their advice. If not, do what you like ;). But it may be worth checking whether they should be :)

there should be a lintel above the garage door , most likely a catnic one , can you look around the inside of the garage at the top of the door and see what's there ?

Yes the builder that quoted yesterday checked and said there was :)
Are you involving Building Regs in this? If you are, ask their advice. If not, do what you like ;). But it may be worth checking whether they should be :)
Yes, I need to fill out the form and submit it but they said they'd be sending someone out before work started and during certain stages.

I'd ask their advice then :thumbsup:

AFAIK, some LA's will require you to keep the same "look" as if the garage door was still there, so you may not be able to brick up the opening and insert a window - need to check.

AFAIK, some LA's will require you to keep the same "look" as if the garage door was still there, so you may not be able to brick up the opening and insert a window - need to check.
Lots of properties on the estate have done garage conversion, some even with the full width window. So should be ok :)

Lots of properties on the estate have done garage conversion, some even with the full width window. So should be ok :)
A couple of my neighbours have used patio/bifold doors and it looks good to me, certainly a lot easier and cheaper than building a wall.

Is the section of the garage that juts out single or double skinned? It looks like it's single skinned. If this is the case, you would be advised to continue the double skin all the way around simply from an insulation point of view. It will also affect your EPC rating when you come to sell it.

We fitted a triple glazed full width window to our garage conversion. We also lifted the floor to match the rest of the ground floor and fitted a radiator under the window.

Before you go too far get building control involved. It will save a lot of grief in long run :)

Had my garage converted a few years ago. Replaced garage door with brick and window. Outer skin of brick. Inner skin was timber frame with insulation about 4 inches thick. Passed building regs ok.

When I had my garage converted to a man cave I was advises to keep the garage door in place. The internal wall is behind them so you can't tell from the inside.

I was given two reasons

1) if I or a future owner ever wanted to turn it back into a garage it would be a simple affair.

2) strangely, removing the door changes the purpose and therefore, requires planning permission but leaving them in place doesn't.

Cheers,

Nigel

Permitted development rules mean you don't normally need planning permission, but some new developments don't allow conversions because it reduces the amount of parking available.

Has to be double skinned and insulated. No other way around it. We double skinned the front when we done ours.

We didn't 'tooth-in' the brickwork either. Engineering bricks (are there any other kind?) are apparently crap and brittle. So we used ties on every layer.

Blast from the past:

Is the section of the garage that juts out single or double skinned?

I'd say the fact that picture 4 is of the right hand side from inside-out, means it's the left hand side from outside-in. It's block and I doubt they've finished an exposed wall in block.

And if that's so, don't do this:
We will be dot and dabbing the walls so there's enough for that which seems a standard of about 3cm

Just seal and plaster straight over the brick. Chase out for any wires. Save 3cm all the way round.

Permitted development rules mean you don't normally need planning permission, but some new developments don't allow conversions because it reduces the amount of parking available.
My developer hasn’t objections re the covenants; but then you’re not allowed to park commercial vehicles over a certain weight, no one seems bother about that.

Our development is short on on-road parking, so bit concerned my LBC might bosh my proposals.

I doubt the LBC will be able to say much about a reduction in parking, particularly if others have already done the same. Do you have enough off road parking for all your family vehicles?

We were allowed to brick ours up when we were able to demonstrate we still had off street parking for 2 cars.
Leaving the garage door in place and doing a ninja install behind wasn't really an option as we wanted natural light in there, so a window was essential.

I doubt the LBC will be able to say much about a reduction in parking, particularly if others have already done the same. Do you have enough off road parking for all your family vehicles?

We could accommodate 3 vehicles at a push on drive. Rang today as we haven't heard reply from our pre-application advice. Told descion imedant soon

Different parts of the county so probably different departments. I'd hope you will be ok.

Is the section of the garage that juts out single or double skinned? It looks like it's single skinned. If this is the case, you would be advised to continue the double skin all the way around simply from an insulation point of view. It will also affect your EPC rating when you come to sell it.
Good question! It was actually my next question as this section is my front porch area - see attached

by time they’ve done the double skin I bet they’ll be about 6 inches left of it.. assume that’s no Issues?

Attachments

• FDCA0114-7640-4C62-889B-82751BC90360.jpeg
    FDCA0114-7640-4C62-889B-82751BC90360.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 897
  • B57BB6D7-58A7-43F8-B021-9D285580FFCD.jpeg
    B57BB6D7-58A7-43F8-B021-9D285580FFCD.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 643
I'm sure that sort of gap could be timbered and insulated without issue.

Put simply, the better you can insulate it the better.

I’ve received my pre application advice from my LBC.

I can confirm that the proposal will require planning permission as a condition on the original planning consent for the development removed Permitted Development rights for any alterations, additions, or other works to the property.

Which was the response I expected. So I better crack on with the application.

I’ve received my pre application advice from my LBC.

I can confirm that the proposal will require planning permission as a condition on the original planning consent for the development removed Permitted Development rights for any alterations, additions, or other works to the property.

Which was the response I expected. So I better crack on with the application.
Had exactly the same in my previous house. Probably contributed to moving to my current property

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom