Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2019 - Show Report - news discussion

‘After the exuberance of last year’s SL-1000 demonstration, Technics was running the SL-1500 C turntable’.

At under £1000 this might be a real Winner. Trickle down technology is often the best value as the RnD has already been done so it becomes cost efficient to include it in a somewhat lesser form in affordable tech.

Looking forward to your review on this turntable.

I was very impressed with the Odphidian P3 Revolution speakers. I just need £5k and they are mine! :rotfl:

I did enjoy my day out but the rooms for a lot of the demo's were too small. Still I did see and hear some excellent kit.

Good to see they embraced the change in direction and made it work. :thumbsup:

Couldn't see a single person who identified as female in the queue to get in.... Tells me all I need to know about our hobby :/ lol

So been there, went through every single demo (well almost), and I'd say the location was't perfect. People got lost, they didn't know how to get to the higher floors. Elevators where disabled, tiny corridors got very busy with just a couple people. Rooms where a little bit too small as well. Looking back to Festival of Sound last year, well much more suitable venue.

In terms of the kit I must say new ELAC speakers wow. VERY VERY impressive in my opinion best sound on that show that day, and to be honest best sound I've heard for a long long time.
I'm very surprised ED haven't mentioned them in this article. Must be noted that I didn't get to hear PMC and spend to little time at Dynaudio room to be able to say something constructive.

Second thing, I'm definitely convinced that B&W sound is absolutely not for me

ps.
Was hoping to catch ED and say hello but looks like he preferred Friday ? I was there from Sat morning.

I would of liked to hear the SVS/ Emotiva gear, hopefully I can catch it in London sometime later in the year

Hi Ed, what did you mean by:

I’m not going to pretend that I’m a huge fan of music in the round?

When talking about the PMCs?

Thanks.

Did anyone go into the JBL / Mark Levinson Room?

They have the JBL K2 S9900 speakers playing through various M.K Kit. I have to say it was the best system I have ever heard. Would love to have heard it in a proper listening room.

Couldn't see a single person who identified as female in the queue to get in.... Tells me all I need to know about our hobby :/ lol

These days its not what you "look" like. All those men, even the ones with beards might identify as women. I hope you were not there Friday Morning cos there was a woman stood next to me and she would be upset if you though she was a man!

I'd also say a big thanks to the organisers for arranging the event.

Did anyone go into the JBL / Mark Levinson Room?

They have the JBL K2 S9900 speakers playing through various M.K Kit. I have to say it was the best system I have ever heard. Would love to have heard it in a proper listening room.

Yep I popped into that room to highlight the difference between "room filling" sound and another that sounded "strained" Didn't know much about them until a did a bit of googling later. £44k speakers and I suspect the rest of the kit was appropriately priced too. Yep it did sound good but maybe a little out of my price range and the boss said they were too big and ugly..... but she knows nothing obviously.

IMG_20190222_133702.jpg

Having several trans friends I'm the last person that would assume anything. :)
These days its not what you "look" like. All those men, even the ones with beards might identify as women. I hope you were not there Friday Morning cos there was a woman stood next to me and she would be upset if you though she was a man!

I'd also say a big thanks to the organisers for arranging the event.

I've been saying the same for thirty years. :thumbsup:
Me three. Tannoys all day long. Made that decision on my first audition of hifi and not changed.
Having several trans friends I'm the last person that would assume anything. :)
Trans friends? They self identify as friends one minute and not the next? I have those as well depending on what they need at the time.

It's a shame that the "vision" side of the show has been given so much less emphasis. It's also a shame that a show devoted solely to TV and (especially) home cinema (with associated sound systems) isn't seen as a viable proposition.

Last edited:
So been there, went through every single demo (well almost), and I'd say the location was't perfect. People got lost, they didn't know how to get to the higher floors. Elevators where disabled, tiny corridors got very busy with just a couple people. Rooms where a little bit too small as well. Looking back to Festival of Sound last year, well much more suitable venue.

It's a mediocre city centre venue with generally abysmal acoustics...of course that's almost an irrelevance when it's just a five minute walk from Temple Meads station! And the upper floor corridors become completely gummed-up when more than two people attempt to pass each other at once...what's not to like?? That's my memory of it from 2004, the last year that I went along & show photos I've seen posted since suggest little change since. Pathetic venue for a flagship audio event, about time a more dynamic sponsor pulled the show up by it's bootstraps & relocated it to a more civil acoustically-impressive location. And with a stronger AV balance too preferably.

Me three. Tannoys all day long. Made that decision on my first audition of hifi and not changed.

Trans friends? They self identify as friends one minute and not the next? I have those as well depending on what they need at the time.
Don't quite understand what you are getting at?
But they've been friends of mine most of my life regardless of what gender they have identified as

I’ve been a few times over the last 20 years, and it’s hardly changed format.

The number of female guests can usually be counted on one hand. Although there is usually a gaggle of bored housewives and girlfriends in the bar / terrace area. :laugh:

I'm not on board the vinyl train, but with offerings like that Helius Viridia, it's hard to argue against the most beautiful bits of kit being turntables - that's proper sexy lookin'!

It's a mediocre city centre venue with generally abysmal acoustics...of course that's almost an irrelevance when it's just a five minute walk from Temple Meads station! And the upper floor corridors become completely gummed-up when more than two people attempt to pass each other at once...what's not to like?? That's my memory of it from 2004, the last year that I went along & show photos I've seen posted since suggest little change since. Pathetic venue for a flagship audio event, about time a more dynamic sponsor pulled the show up by it's bootstraps & relocated it to a more civil acoustically-impressive location. And with a stronger AV balance too preferably.

Where would that more civil acoustically-impressive location be? And who would run such an event? I agree more AV would be nice. Costs of the event might likely be more and its got to be close to the organisers. I suspect Audio T have a reasonably efficient hand on this event even with all the issues after running it for a while now. I suspect Bristol isnt ideal for most either although some exhibitors travelled a fair way. Free parking too would be nice.

Its a good way to see lots of stuff all in one go

Why no mention of the excellent set-ups from Russell K (whose speakers, until this year, I've never rated), Dali (a brilliant pair of speakers for just £699), Spendor, Klipsch, Von Gaylord Audio (formerly Legend), whose system was built around a pair of surprisingly reasonably priced push-pull triode power amp's (though at £10,000 the pre-amp was a bit pricey), or, best of the show in my book, Malvern Audio Research (lovely monobloc valve amp's driving horn speakers, with an enormous valve D:AC but a tiny transformer-based passive pre-amp). The more we listened to that system, the more it drew me in to how wonderfully musical it was. A shame that the Czech output valves for the power amp's cost £900!

The lack of AV this year meant its the first time that myself and two friends have not been for about 10 years. I can't see us going again unless it changes. We almost didn't go last year due to the lack of AV on display.

I agree it needed JVC to show an X7, an obvious low cost home goal IMO

Spoke to Arcam on any they didn't have a proper av room, he told me that they're planning a large av room for next year, have been there for 15 years, and I always say not as good as last year, I remember using 6 floors, but now it seems smaller and more crowded

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom