BT new 500mb and 900mb Broadband packages

Let us know when you do. I'm sceptical. :) MY router turned up today. Looks almost identical to the HH6 I used to use when we first got FTTP.

My upload has just (in the last hour) gone from 52 to 120. Hoping download will kick in soon as that's still 293.

Nice :)

BT really are crap. I was told I had to have a new router and it wouldn't be activated until Wednesday. :(

Just had a message to say our 900 plan is live BUT am not at home to test. Will post in the morning if its all working ok!!

😭

1585073750434.png

H'm interesting. Have you checked what speed the router is syncing at?

I was trying to check that on my dream machine pro but it doesn't seem to let me see. It only shows the port speed which is always 1GB as that's the speed for the ONT connection.

makes me laugh all these massive speeds and insane prices , is it just willy waving or what ? , if I had a phone line I could get approx 8 down and next to nothing up , and that's being 1/4 mile from a large exchange in a populated area !!! , good job I can get virgin , managed to get 350/35 for £40 a month for 18 months , whoops , now I'm willy waving :rotfl:

10 - 20 years to get FTTP for the majority of the UK is disgusting.
I understand your frustration but there's nothing "disgusting" at all about taking decades to roll out FTTP to a country with ~ 25 million properties, most of which are non-MDUs. However if you know of very fast FTTP deployment methods, then please do let Openreach, CityFibre et al know :)

Mine seems to be activated. Already seeing 115 upload but download isn’t up to full speed yet.

Attachments

• 62F8AE56-A034-4EA0-B989-796B3A433163.jpeg
    62F8AE56-A034-4EA0-B989-796B3A433163.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 67
I'm not getting anything close to 900. Not going to complain about it in the current climate though.

As a 4K stream uses around 24Mb, how many 4K streams do you need to download at once? I understand if an improved upload speed is needed but these high download speeds are about as sensible as sticking a turbo upgrade on a Ferrari that crawls around London at 11mph - pub bragging rights. There are still people in my village in Essex that still only have 2Mb on a good day - get that fixed first.

As a 4K stream uses around 24Mb, how many 4K streams do you need to download at once? I understand if an improved upload speed is needed but these high download speeds are about as sensible as sticking a turbo upgrade on a Ferrari that crawls around London at 11mph - pub bragging rights. There are still people in my village in Essex that still only have 2Mb on a good day - get that fixed first.

I agree, and I did say that earlier. If BT offered a symmetrical service that was 300/300 that would be perfect for us. but we could only get 50 upload.

I think Disgusting is the correct term for the UK's pathetic effort at FTTP/H

1585129480509.png

Look at our roll-out compared to the rest of Europe. Openreach promised 2.5 million homes would have FTTP by 2015 and achieved less than 250,000. For an industry that is almost a monopoly in the UK, I think even the Soviet Union did a better job. We are not a third world or war torn country, we allegedly have great infrastructure, so why are we so sloooooooow at providing what most of Europe seems to have achieved far more successfully? As of May 2019 Openreach still hadn't met the 2.5 million target (May 2019 - 2.486 million) promised in 2015, which is only 4 years overdue.

Why are many customers still forced to have a phone-line? 96% of UK households use mobiles. Openreach's roll-out policy and pricing tariffs are out-dated and need a huge overhaul much like the BBC.

Yup, I totally get where you are coming from. I absolutely loath dealing with Openreach. I remember when we moved into the new house it was an absolutely nightmare getting BT to get the fibre activated.

I live 1 mile from our main local exchange and 30m from our Cabinet. We are a large village but have no chance of getting fibre in the next 5 years. I spoke to an Openreach Engineer who was in the cabinet last week (at a social distance) and he said there are no plans at all to even look at FTTP in our region within the 5 year plan. Apparently it will take that long for them to strip all of the old copper (and aluminium) out of the conduits to make room for more fibre. It took them 3 years to make enough room just for FTTC fibres. I found this really strange as nearly all of the phone lines are on poles so wasnt sure which conduits they would be clearing to get the fibre to the premises.

Maybe that's why, because the lines are all on poles they didn't put much conduit in and therefore what they have put in is already quite full.

Just checked my speed again from the UDM-Pro and it is now showing full speed (and a little bit more).

1585133531303.png

ETA: although speedtest.net on my PC (connected via Ethernet) is only showing this speed. Need to investigate.

1585133720152.png

Just checked with 3 other speed test providers and I'm getting nearly 700mbps through those so it might just be Speedtest.net.

Yeh mine is also showing 700mbs not sure whether this is a speed test issue or the actual speed. the router has been syncing at 1000 since the original install a few months ago.

I think Disgusting is the correct term for the UK's pathetic effort at FTTP/H

View attachment 1273317

Look at our roll-out compared to the rest of Europe. Openreach promised 2.5 million homes would have FTTP by 2015 and achieved less than 250,000. For an industry that is almost a monopoly in the UK, I think even the Soviet Union did a better job. We are not a third world or war torn country, we allegedly have great infrastructure, so why are we so sloooooooow at providing what most of Europe seems to have achieved far more successfully? As of May 2019 Openreach still hadn't met the 2.5 million target (May 2019 - 2.486 million) promised in 2015, which is only 4 years overdue.

Why are many customers still forced to have a phone-line? 96% of UK households use mobiles. Openreach's roll-out policy and pricing tariffs are out-dated and need a huge overhaul much like the BBC.
Dude you're comparing apples with oranges. Lots of countries in Europe - prime examples being Spain & Romania - have a high % of population living in MDUs (flats etc) so naturally its far easier/cheaper/quicker to roll out FTTP to such countries. However the UK has one of the highest % of non-MDU dwellings in Europe and it will take time - ie decades - to roll out FTTP to individual homes. Also that graph seems to be waaaaaay out of date, in early 2019 the Openreach FTTP penetration alone was around 10%...not around 1%.

Btw take a guess why the likes of Hyperoptic won’t touch ordinary homes with a bargepole wrt rolling out FTTP?

Last edited:
That graph is from data that OFCOM provided to FTTH Council Europe.

Openreach's published figures

1585139084145.png

27.2 million domestic premises in the UK, 1.8 million have FTTP deployed (capable of receiving) that is 6% maximum - according to Openreach's own data. Of that 1.8 million deployment the take-up has been 13% (mainly due to pricing) so the 1.3% is correct.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom