BT new 500mb and 900mb Broadband packages

So you've got 'take up' and 'penetration' values all mixed up. The first graph you posted, is supposed to show FTTP 'penetration' values (ie FTTP available to order) - yet it it shows 'take up' rates because no way on God's Earth did only 1.5% of UK premises have the option of ordering full fibre back in 2019.

For more accurate, recent figures have a look here:

Now Openreach is far, far from perfect but its doing a hell of a lot more than other FTTP operators when it comes to rolling out FTTP nationwide. If rolling out FTTP was dead easy, don't you think other FTTP operators would already have covered 100% of UK with FTTP?

Last edited:
Nothing mixed up. That is the published Data by OFCOM and Openreach. If you have other published data that shows different i would be interested to see it.

That graph is our ranking in Europe for FTTP penetration it says it clearly on the graph. At the end of the day Openreach promised 2.5 million customers would have FTTP by 2015, they delivered 250,000 and they have still not met that 2.5 million. You can defend them all you like, their published data speaks volumes.

Comparing them with other FTTP operators is not fair. Openreach have had a monopoly on Telcoms infrastructure in the UK since January 2006 and way before that in their previous incarnations. They have had more than enough time and exclusive monopoly on the infrastructure to get their act together.

Even OFCOM have openly criticized Openreach for not providing a firm commitment to their own FTTP roll out plan. Openreach talk about its planned numbers but have not made any actual delivery promise.

I think OFCOM's description of Openreach's current FTTP offering was 'pitiful'. Sums it up pretty much when their own regulator says it.

We have left the EU and now want to compete as an independent trading nation yet our primary Telcoms infrastructure company cant even delver the infrastructure to compete with some of the poorest countries in Europe. We still have over 1/2 million people that cant even get 2Mb broadband.

I‘ll ask again, why are you comparing FTTP rollout in UK (which has a high % of population NOT living in flats/MDUs) versus countries with high number of MDUs? In which School of Civil Engineering do they teach their students that 500 standalone houses can have FTTP deployed in the same timescale as 3 buildings housing 500 flats? I’m really intrigued to know why you think fttp can be rolled out to individual homes in the same timeframe as flats...

Last edited:
@psychopomp1 I will agree to disagree with you on this matter. I am not going to agree with you and you are not going to agree with me on this subject. No point in falling out.

On a slightly different note, I was just talking to (at 3m apart) to the 2 Openreach engineers outside my house (between this response and your last one) to ask the very same question. Their answer, which to me is in my mind fair. Our exchange is now FTTP capable. Their are no plans in the near future to provide FTTP to any of the existing cabs that have FTTC in this area. Any older cabs (we are rural) that have not had FTTC will be upgraded to FTTP instead. That in my mind is at least fair as it means those with older ADSL connections will benefit from FTTP upgrades even if I cant for the foreseeable future.

No worries, I wasn’t planning on falling out with you :)

An important & crucial point I will make though: IMHO the vast majority (>90%) of those currently served by Openreach FTTC will definitely get Openreach FTTP at some point in the future. Reason being, the fibre has already been brought closer to most people - according to Openreach, 96% of premises in FTTC areas are within 2km of their nearest fibre aggregation node. The agg node is basically where all FTTP lines connect to, which in turn connects to nearest head end exchange.

Cheers @psychopomp1 that is pretty much what the 2 Openreach engineers said. They also said in theory it wouldn't be hard to deliver FTTP but they want to prioritise those areas that don't even benefit from FTTC speeds, which in my mind is equitable and fair. In all reality 72mb is more than adequate for our household currently, even with me and my wife working from home and the 2 kids doing their school work at home. Be safe ;)

So after a bit of searching for advice we factory reset the router and when it re booted we had a speed test result of 1gb down and 110mb up. So advice is to power cycle router first and if that does not work do a factory reset. As you would expect we are happy 😊

I understand BT Business will be selling FTTP 1000/220 (rather than 1000/115) very soon, as long as its priced sensibly (<£150/m), I will be on board. The 220 Mbps upload would help massively (I upload a huge amount of stuff) and a static IP address is a must have for me, hence why I'm waiting for BT Biz to release their higher speed FTTP services.

I don't think this is a forum for business but if you are domestic there are two FTTP released subject to where you live of course - 500 and 900. They were released on Monday 23rd.

Just checked my speed again from the UDM-Pro and it is now showing full speed (and a little bit more).

View attachment 1273335

ETA: although speedtest.net on my PC (connected via Ethernet) is only showing this speed. Need to investigate.

View attachment 1273337

Interesting that the UDM Pro is going over the Gigabit usual limit of 940Mbps (ish) how is it connected?

What I have noticed is that Speedtest is particularly unreliable on older kit even if it is quick and will often not get the "right" numbers. It also varies with the provider so yesterday I was getting speeds of 100Mbps on the normal one I use but 950Mbps on another one in the same city. I am on VM btw.

Is speedtest going over the 950mark ? How is it attached to the router?

Interesting that the UDM Pro is going over the Gigabit usual limit of 940Mbps (ish) how is it connected?

What I have noticed is that Speedtest is particularly unreliable on older kit even if it is quick and will often not get the "right" numbers. It also varies with the provider so yesterday I was getting speeds of 100Mbps on the normal one I use but 950Mbps on another one in the same city. I am on VM btw.

How is it connected? Directly to the Openreach ONT. Speedtest won't go above 650mbps.

How is it connected? Directly to the Openreach ONT. Speedtest won't go above 650mbps.

Ermm. What spec is the PC you are connecting to test? Have you tried the desktop version?

I found that my MacBook Pro would max the connection, yet my hex core i7 would not until I upgraded that to a 10Gb card. I was hitting a similar limit albeit on VM.

Ermm. What spec is the PC you are connecting to test? Have you tried the desktop version?

I found that my MacBook Pro would max the connection, yet my hex core i7 would not until I upgraded that to a 10Gb card. I was hitting a similar limit albeit on VM.

Hold on you're talking about two different things here.

The UDM-P is directly connected to the ONT.
My PC is directly connected to the UDM-P.

The Ubiquiti speed test is run on the UDM-P where the 1000mbps test was run.
The Speedtest.net test was run on my PC in a browser.

My PC is brand new, I built it a couple of months ago. AMD Ryzen 9 3950x, 32GB RAM, Samsun 860 Evo NVME SSD.

I just ran the test on my PC using the Microsoft Store Speedtest.net application.

1585229591991.png

Hold on you're talking about two different things here.

Yes I know, sorry blending the conversation :p

The Ubiquiti speed test is run on the UDM-P where the 1000mbps test was run.

Which seems a bit high unless the ONT can connect at higher than 1Gbps to your router. Usually testing on Gigabit copper using iPerf or speedtest will max out at around 940Mbps due to overheads. So either the UDM-P speed test is a little bit generous or ONT is connecting faster than 1Gbps o_O

Then actual issue of PC

The Speedtest.net test was run on my PC in a browser.

My PC is brand new, I built it a couple of months ago. AMD Ryzen 9 3950x, 32GB RAM, Samsun 860 Evo NVME SSD.

I just ran the test on my PC using the Microsoft Store Speedtest.net application.

1585229591991.png

Have you got anything else to test it on, to see if it is better or worse?

Also what server are you using?

So just tested mine, my Mac Book Pro (10Gbe)

9188599506.png

My desktop PC (i5820k @4.4GHz also with 10Gbe)

9188603553.png

Yet on Samknows

Desktop PC hits 930Mbps ....

Yes I know, sorry blending the conversation :p

Which seems a bit high unless the ONT can connect at higher than 1Gbps to your router. Usually testing on Gigabit copper using iPerf or speedtest will max out at around 940Mbps due to overheads. So either the UDM-P speed test is a little bit generous or ONT is connecting faster than 1Gbps o_O

Then actual issue of PC

Have you got anything else to test it on, to see if it is better or worse?

Also what server are you using?

So just tested mine, my Mac Book Pro (10Gbe)

9188599506.png

My desktop PC (i5820k @4.4GHz also with 10Gbe)

9188603553.png

Yet on Samknows

Desktop PC hits 930Mbps ....

Yeah I have a MacBook Pro, but only a 1GB USB-C dongle.

I'm not concerned by the way, as long as the router can get full speed I'm happy.

Yeah I have a MacBook Pro, but only a 1GB USB-C dongle.

I'm not concerned by the way, as long as the router can get full speed I'm happy.

That should enable you to connect up to 930-940 ish though so worth giving it a test. Be worth seeing how much over the 900 you can get.

I understand your frustration but there's nothing "disgusting" at all about taking decades to roll out FTTP to a country with ~ 25 million properties, most of which are non-MDUs. However if you know of very fast FTTP deployment methods, then please do let Openreach, CityFibre et al know :)
Yes there is a lot that is disgusting about the roll out of FTTP services. No it isn’t quick and requires a fair amount of work. But that is looking at it now.
If BT hadn’t have been prevented from investing in fibre by the Thatcher government back in the 80’s then we would all have it by now.
If many local authorities didn’t blindly opt for BT for their rural rollouts we would be better served. Gigaclear would have lived to do my village but council had given agreement for BT to do it.
If the likes of Sky, Talk Talk etc had put more only into providing actual infrastructure rather than creaming off a nice margin for reselling someone else’s service. They have only really dabbled at it in some areas.
The provision if broadband services has been a typically British cock from start to nowhere near finished.

I just did a desk research quote for FTTPoD to my address in Norwich City Centre - estimate £4100 +VAT build cost for max 330/30 service. I really wish we'd get on with rolling this out properly around the country.

Did that include the broadband voucher, was worth up to £2,500?

I had a quote from virgin media business including the voucher for 450 a month for symmetrical one gig. I wouldn’t mind but they confirmed I would be connected to their cabinet which is across the road 13m away....

Jesus, you folk don't know how lucky you are. Up until recently my speed was 1.8mbps down and 230kbps up on a good day. 3rd world countries laugh at those speeds. I'm now at 18mbps down ans 3mbps up. Still ridiculous in 2020.yes I live in the countryside but come on. I was hoping 5g would kill landlines but in the UK we just seem incompetent at comms. Rant over.

Well it seems where I live most of the rural cabs are being upgraded to FTTP which I think is great news.

I tried to upgrade my fttp service on sunday, but BT have now pulled both the 500mbps and the 900mbps service due to corona. Looks like I will have to wait till June before they start to lift their restrictions again. My own fault really as I saw the new products launch on the 23rd of March but I was busy with other stuff and thought I'll wait till the weekend before I order it, but they pulled it by then.

That's interesting, as my download speed seems to have come down as well.

1585732991556.png

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom