BT sport Ultimate (4k HDR and Atmos via App not BT box)

Over by there

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I think I polluted the Apple TV thread about the BT Sport App. Apologies.
BT will be doing live sport 4k HDR with Dolby Atmos on the new service via the app, I think! Not sure what will happen over mobile apps, I don't watch sport on them.

My device is the Apple TV BT TV app. There are other BT platform apps out there. They are calling it BT sport Ultimate.

I did have the links to apps and service in here but it read as a BT clickbait advert. Details are on their web site.

I already have the 4k box,I do not know what other pricing options there are. There was talk of an extra £5 for the HDR but then some mention of it not happening any more then the package price for 4k got a hike across the board.

I am not sure what the service via the App is actually providing initially but I assume it will be the lot eventually, BT are rather vague on the wording (I read it as not getting the information straight rather than being coy). I do not have Atmos capability. But I took part in the test a few months back and it did HDR 10 as 1080p.

They are just saying HDR in the recent press update, I assume it will be HDR 10 as per test?

I am guessing that the eventual use will 4k HDR 10 with Atmos?

There is a rather annoying square top right of the screen and I expect that will cause some burn in issues. It is the same on every BT sports channel on the app for me. The BT BOX, not the App, the square is an outline.

I think Sunday is the first full 4k match on this, the FA community Shield. I am not sure what to expect.

But looking at that link you can't get BT Ultimate unless you have all the BT channels in a "max" subscription?
The website is clear as mud...

In order to benefit from BT’s innovations, viewers will need access to a screen that supports these picture and audio formats, such as a 4K TV capable of HDR. They will also need a BT TV Total Entertainment, Max, or Max HD subscription.
:confused:

I think it was written by those that have no clue. Yeah, you need Max 4K.
Show is now live. Tried the app, no "Ultimate" (I have the Max 4k package). Which means I think I get 1080p with HDR. No use to me, I like 4k.
I have the 4k through the BT box, but that does not do HDR.
The square top right is solid on the app. Constant.

This really is a mess at the moment.

Doesn't start until the 9th August which is THE one thing I managed to pick out :thumbsup:

I am just getting normal HD on my Bt app on Apple TV. However on a Samsung Q7F the Bt app is giving me hdr and it showing up as Bt Sport ultimate in the bottoms right corner. I only get BT sports free as part of my 4g EE phone plan. I then pay £10 extra a month to watch on larger screens.

I am just getting normal HD on my Bt app on Apple TV. However on a Samsung Q7F the Bt app is giving me hdr and it showing up as Bt Sport ultimate in the bottoms right corner. I only get BT sports free as part of my 4g EE phone plan. I then pay £10 extra a month to watch on larger screens.
It gets better ! :rotfl:

I have no way to check if I am getting atmos as the tv is in my bedroom. Can any one else confirm if Samsung app is giving atmos.

The new channel launch will coincide with the new season of the English Premier League, which kicks off on 9 August,

Does anyone know if the Samsung Bt sport app is 4K. My Samsung tv in the bedroom is the 2017 model Q7. It shows I am getting a hdr picture. Even when you click on channel it says HDR on the Bt sports app. I have no wY or checking if it’s HD or 4K. Picture does look very good. Look and learn Sky, your Nowtv is utter shit

Doesn't start until the 9th August which is THE one thing I managed to pick out :thumbsup:
Ah, cheers, me eyes failed me there. I saw ads saying we can see this in todays match. I think. Or not.

Edit, it does say community shield in the IBC link above, but I expect there is a mis match of what they think they said and what is happening. Sure I read on a BT source community shield as well butt cannot find it now.

Double edit. Revisiting some of the industry news stuff I visit and there is certainly indications that Sundays match was to be the launch of this. I am going on poor fact checking from BT on the press release and contacts they put out.

Last edited:
Wrong info deleted.

I got HDR via bt app on Apple TV to Panasonic oled tv but not in 4K no sign of the ultimate channel just HD

I got HDR via bt app on Apple TV to Panasonic oled tv but not in 4K no sign of the ultimate channel just HD
Are you paying for 4K through the box?

I’m just bt internet customer paying for
Sport and Apple TV / Samsung tv just HD not HDR or 4K as I’m
Sure they’re launching this week. Just waiting for the clear pricing structure

Did anyone manage to watch the game yesterday in HDR?

I hit hdr and Bt ultimate on Samsung tv app but not on Apple TV. I only have BT sports free with my 4g ee account and the pay £10 extra to watch on big screen via app

Are you paying for 4K through the box?
No don’t have bttv now just broadband and pay £10 a month for bt sport app.

Did anyone manage to watch the game yesterday in HDR?
Probably. Problem is, and a big one for me, the app does not drop the HDR and you are required to force the BT app into 1080p. I run my ATV at 4k HDR all the time and the BT app is the only one that does not drop the TV back to non HDR.

I may have had, or not. Looked HDR ish but the stream took time to buffer up.

It’s all sounds like we are getting different results. It also sounds like there are so many different ways and options of getting BT SPORT. Very confusing.

I have BT fibre and pay extra to have it on Sky Q. Also can watch on iPhone/ATV etc.

I watched the CL final on my phone in HDR.

Yesterday had no luck watching HDR on phone or ATV and obviously only HD on Sky Q

Sunday was HDR but on mobile apps and large screen app? 1080p HDR for for large screen apps. No 4k yet.
Atmos down BT box only.

Oh well. One can hope that 4k with HDR appears down the large screen app.

Reading some comments on twitter for the BT sport and BT_UK and the message is not through to them yet.

Looks like some fallout from last weekends match that was HDR but not everyone got a slice of the cake. It would seem that advice given on Twitter by BT reps on their BT feeds was incorrect in some instances.

Deleted this sentence. Incorrect. Not sure when BT's first match in HDR is.
Their info page has been altered I think. Large screen apps are not going to get it, they are working on it?
BT Sport Ultimate: All you need to know
Update date for that page is Aug 6th.

Atmos is via BT TV box only as I read it? Might get that this weekend, I cannot do atmos.
HDR on mobile apps
Apple TV?? which way is the wind blowing.

I see another BT page dated 7 Aug that lends not much.
https://sport.bt.com/football/hdr-e...mic-range-is-the-new-frontier-S11364360748082

Last edited:
Looks like some fallout from last weekends match that was HDR but not everyone got a slice of the cake. It would seem that advice given on Twitter by BT reps on their BT feeds was incorrect in some instances.

Deleted this sentence. Incorrect. Not sure when BT's first match in HDR is.
Their info page has been altered I think. Large screen apps are not going to get it, they are working on it?
BT Sport Ultimate: All you need to know
Update date for that page is Aug 6th.

Atmos is via BT TV box only as I read it? Might get that this weekend, I cannot do atmos.
HDR on mobile apps
Apple TV?? which way is the wind blowing.

I see another BT page dated 7 Aug that lends not much.
BT Sport makes broadcast history in Champions League final
Given that BT announced this in February they’ve made a complete mess of the rollout of 4K/HDR on other devices like ATV. Surely they should have been ready to go for the start of the new season!!

I was a bit bemused as to why they are using HDR 10 until I read a bit in the press about it being more suited to mobiles (ATV unable to do HLG but could possibly be a mobile device using the same type of OS??). I am not sure if that is true, but could indicate where they think their prime market is. Hence large screen app is on the back burner.

And that makes me wonder at their work flow and what the original HDR capture is in. I wonder if that is the issue, that is they ware working in HLG and doing a HDR 10 convert (the lack of defining HDR version is still unprofessional from a TV firm).

Checking my BT set top box, Saturday is their first footy match on the 4k channel. No idea what it will be on mobile or ATV. They also don't seem to refer to the other sports that will be in HDR, where as I remember them hawking Rugby getting the treatment, no mention now, just the footy? Certainly no interest in 1080p HDR as the norm.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom