Answered BT Ultrafast 2 and Vigor 130

@KamSandhu44 what uplink speed are you getting out of curiosity - is it the full quote 30Mb/s?

Speedtest shows 250mbps - 300mbps. I've seen it hit the full 30Mb/s on downloads and when the kids have YouTube on the go.

Nice one, appreciate it. They've also got Huawei MT992 listed have pinged them to see how mucb they want for one of those, perhaps I should order a consignment - and start selling them - can see this will be an issue for more people as BT's new product get more popular! New arrival Huawei MT992-10 G.fast modem, View vdsl2 modem, Huawei Product Details from Shanghai Kaifei International Trade Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

This was my 1st choice, no one seemed to have it.

Speedtest shows 250mbps - 300mbps. I've seen it hit the full 30Mb/s on downloads and when the kids have YouTube on the go.

Ah, I meant the other way - 300 down and 30 up? Its the extra up speed that i'll find more useful I think.

Ah, I meant the other way - 300 down and 30 up? Its the extra up speed that i'll find more useful I think.

Ohhhh, Speedtest show me a full 50Mb/s. In all honesty, G.Fast has never missed a beat, so far.

So update; laying on the good biscuits did the trick! Jolly nice Openreach engineer was really helpful and more than happy to give me a huawei modem off the van. All setup and running at full 135/30 Mbps seems rock solid so far :)

Due to have ultrafast 2 installed end of the month. I currently use a Synology rt2600ac, so will need to ask the engineer for a modem during the visit! Hopefully shouldn't be an issue, otherwise I would be requesting I go back to my infinity package.

Nice one, appreciate it. They've also got Huawei MT992 listed have pinged them to see how mucb they want for one of those, perhaps I should order a consignment - and start selling them - can see this will be an issue for more people as BT's new product get more popular! New arrival Huawei MT992-10 G.fast modem, View vdsl2 modem, Huawei Product Details from Shanghai Kaifei International Trade Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

Did you get an answer back on the price of these?

My current Asus DSL AC88U refuses to talk to my pfsense box in bridge mode, and the latest firmware just released for it kills my connection all together on Ultrafast 2. Looking to replace with either the Huawei MT992 or one of the Zisa boxes.

Thanks in advance.

My current Asus DSL AC88U refuses to talk to my pfsense box in bridge mode, and the latest firmware just released for it kills my connection all together on Ultrafast 2. Looking to replace with either the Huawei MT992 or one of the Zisa boxes.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, they came back with ‘no stock available’ unfortunately.

Thanks in advance.

Your more than welcome to buy my Zisa box from me (is this allowed in this part of the forum?).

Your more than welcome to buy my Zisa box from me (is this allowed in this part of the forum?)
Nope! Please put an ad in the classifieds if you want to sell it (or anything else) on the forum :smashin:

Mark.

The instructions are very similar to how you configure the unlocked BT VDSL modems. Go to "Advanced Setup, WAN Service". Remove anything already there and Add a new entry as follows:

Interface: ptm0
WAN service type: Bridging
Service description: br_0_1_1.101
802.1P Priority: 0
802.1Q VLAN ID: 101
VLAN TPID: Don't select anything

Go through the other settings and get rid of anything not needed:

UPnP: Disable
Quality of Service: Disable (if managed by your router)

In "Management, Access Control, Passwords", change your "admin" password. This is also used by Telnet and SSH services.

In "Management, Access Control, Services Control" untick EVERYTHING in the WAN column and then Save. This is very important otherwise you will be exposing telnet and the other services to the Internet. You should also untick anything from the LAN column you don't need (except for HTTP, which you need to manage it).

Are there any additional settings required to get the modem working, PPPoE or otherwise?

I've added these settings to a fresh unit, and I can see the upstream/downstream speeds but it fails to make a connection. Cannot ping from the modem itself or otherwise.

In regards to my router (Unifi Security Gateway), I currently have WAN set to a static IP for the modem, assuming that this would work once a connection is achieved – is this correct?

Are there any additional settings required to get the modem working, PPPoE or otherwise?

I've added these settings to a fresh unit, and I can see the upstream/downstream speeds but it fails to make a connection. Cannot ping from the modem itself or otherwise.

In regards to my router (Unifi Security Gateway), I currently have WAN set to a static IP for the modem, assuming that this would work once a connection is achieved – is this correct?

Ping is not expected to work directly from the modem; the internet connection will only work inside the PPPoE tunnel from your router. You need to configure your router to use PPPoE with a username of "[email protected]" and password "password" (or blank), assuming you are with BT of course.

Sorry to hijack thread but could someone explain why you're all going to this bother? Am getting ultrafast bt installed in new year so keen to get it right ?

Is the main thing you guys want to use your own router instead of bt hub connected to the openreach fibre modem and not a lot are compatible? Bit confused over getting the Huawei modem from the engineer, aren't they installing these as standard or do they have this better one in their van as a backup!?

I want to setup a guest network in our house and I also send a cable to our holiday let barn to it's own router, will this still work?

I did buy a Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LITE a while back to do this, assume it's still compatible with ultrafast hub?

Thanks!

Is the main thing you guys want to use your own router instead of bt hub connected to the openreach fibre modem and not a lot are compatible? Bit confused over getting the Huawei modem from the engineer, aren't they installing these as standard or do they have this better one in their van as a backup!?

Correct, for g.fast lines there's no guarantee that Openreach will you the standalone g.fast modem (Huawei MT992) and instead give you a BT g.fast modem/router all in one combo. However standalone g.fast modems are rare as hen's teeth hence the need to order one from China directly. Personally, I would just buy an Asus DSL-AC88U g fast modem/router for a g.fast line but of course not everyone wants this.

Ahh okay, many thanks. Is g.fast the same as FTTP as i'm getting FTTP and assume the new smarthub 2. Have an engineer survey and then first visit to install a box on the outside of our house and second visit for the internal install.

Ahh okay, many thanks. Is g.fast the same as FTTP as i'm getting FTTP and assume the new smarthub 2. Have an engineer survey and then first visit to install a box on the outside of our house and second visit for the internal install.
No, FTTP is different (better) than g.fast, in that Openreach will install a pure fibre cable to your home (ie none of this copper/fibre hybrid nonsense) which means its not an "up to" service - instead you get the speed you pay for (excluding contention issues). If you have a 2 stage install, this means Openreach will blow fibre to a small box outside your home called a Customer Splice Point (CSP). They then run a fibre cable from the CSP to a fibre terminal called a ONT. The ONT will be wall mounted and similar to a modem, though technically its not a modem. You simply connect the supplied router to the ONT or alternatively you can connect any router of your choice to the ONT. It just needs to be a standalone router without any modem.

Some photos of my FTTP install: (CSP is small rectangular box located externally)

My ONT (you will get the newer ONT which is single LAN port but with an enclosed BBU):

In case you're curious to know whats inside the CSP:

There's going to be a Draytek Vigor modem solution soon!
The new Vigor 160 range includes the model 166 modem with G.Fast. See the datasheet pdf

Attachments

• Vigor160.pdf
    99.1 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Your more than welcome to buy my Zisa box from me (is this allowed in this part of the forum?).

Hi Kam,

Thanks for all your great advice around the subject of the awful BT hub and getting a G.Fast modem to replace it.

Do you still have your Zisa? I'm on a quest to get something asap as i have a USG and UAC-AC Pros that wants to start working properly :)

Thanks, Kam.

Rick

There's going to be a Draytek Vigor modem solution soon!
The new Vigor 160 range includes the model 166 modem with G.Fast. See the datasheet pdf

Hi Robby,

Thanks for the heads up on the Vigor 166. Any updates on when it might be available. Got to get rid of the awful BT Home Hub...

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Kam,

Thanks for all your great advice around the subject of the awful BT hub and getting a G.Fast modem to replace it.

Do you still have your Zisa? I'm on a quest to get something asap as i have a USG and UAC-AC Pros that wants to start working properly :)

Thanks, Kam.

Rick

I do still have it, I do not have the login details for it, I can't remember them. I am also waiting for the Draytek solution.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom