Budget receiver advice

redvet

Standard Member
Reaction score
What would the choices be please on budget level receiver mainly for music DVD and films and paired with with Mordaunt Short Alumni speakers. A friend has the Yamaha RX V463 which I have to say sounds much better than my present receiver (Marrantz 1501) but are there other options around this price.

The Denon 1911 can be bought for around £250 which makes it a real bargain and should be better than the 4 series Yamaha and your current Marantz.

What would the choices be please on budget level receiver mainly for music DVD and films and paired with with Mordaunt Short Alumni speakers. A friend has the Yamaha RX V463 which I have to say sounds much better than my present receiver (Marrantz 1501) but are there other options around this price.

I suspect what you may be experiencing is a matching problem. The yamaha doing a better job because of the higher output and hence increased headroom, which is the main peril when buying kit to work together. The Alumni's are pretty low efficiency wise at 86dB, giving a low powered amp such as the 1501 a lot more work to do, hence noise and distortion products will tend to increase.

Moving to a higher sensitivity speaker set (88db +) will aid to address this imbalance, and get the very best out of the 1501, or as you say the purchase of a higher powered avr. Which ever way you decide make sure you compare alongside the 1501, because technically it should see off most budget avr's sound quality wise with the right speakers. :)

Last edited:
I suspect what you may be experiencing is a matching problem. The yamaha doing a better job because of the higher output and hence increased headroom, which is the main peril when buying kit to work together. The Alumni's are pretty low efficiency wise at 86dB, giving a low powered amp such as the 1501 a lot more work to do, hence noise and distortion products will tend to increase.

Moving to a higher sensitivity speaker set (88db +) will aid to address this imbalance, and get the very best out of the 1501, or as you say the purchase of a higher powered avr. Which ever way you decide make sure you compare alongside the 1501, because technically it should see off most budget avr's sound quality wise with the right speakers. :)

Thanks, I had not looked at it from this angle and it is well worth examining. With my limited knowledge and not wanting to necessarily take advice from the store people - could you make some suggestions regarding speakers?

Thanks, I had not looked at it from this angle and it is well worth examining. With my limited knowledge and not wanting to necessarily take advice from the store people - could you make some suggestions regarding speakers?

Depends on room size. budget and so forth, and obviously you have to like the noises they make in the context of your system too, so listening is a must. If you could accommodate them my money would be on a stand mount/floorstander, something from Kef or Tannoy, but pretty much any that have good efficiency and rep.

These F3's always seem to get a lot of praise at their price point. :- Tannoy MERCURY F3 Dark Oak | Per Pair | Richer Sounds

Last edited:
Depends on room size. budget and so forth, and obviously you have to like the noises they make in the context of your system too, so listening is a must. If you could accommodate them my money would be on a stand mount/floorstander, something from Kef or Tannoy, but pretty much any that have good efficiency and rep.

These F3's always seem to get a lot of praise at their price point. :- Tannoy MERCURY F3 Dark Oak | Per Pair | Richer Sounds

Thanks again... your feedback much appreciated. I have been able to have someone locally listen to my set up and comments were that I could have a bit of a mismatch with bassy speakers and amp. So... maybe time to explore and think about selling mine, I have had a bit of interest in both items if I decide to change.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom