Question Building a gaming desktop

bluevortex

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I’ve not posted in AVF for years now but find myself back here seeking advice from you lovely lot

My son (age 11) is desperate for his own desktop PC for gaming performance, Fortnite etc. I went through a period in 20’s building pcs but have not built one now for 10+ years

Generally I’m wondering if the effort is worth it for a self build these days? It used to be a cost effective way to spec a good pc but is that still true today? I see a lot more pre-built offerings on the market now

Of course it would be a good learning exercise for us both and certainly my son is interested but I’m wondering now having been out of the fold for many years if this would be so straight forward starting essentially from scratch again all these years on

fianlly, if self build does not stack up, can you recommend a good desktop pc supplier to look at that would run Fortnite at fast FPS etc.

Thanks

just did my first build. Rewarding, but totally consumes your time and concentration. Still need to sort out cables though. was it worth it? For me definitely.

I'd have said the opposite has happened personally. Fifteen years ago you could pick up a mainstream desktop with a decent graphics card for a £50 or so saving over self-built.

But game developers didn't keep up with the general trend in reducing power levels for thinner/small computers so the gaming enthusiast scene got separated from the mainstream and now it's all boutique gamer-specific stuff using old fashioned super sized tower cases and it's much the same cost whether you buy or built.

Hi all

I’ve not posted in AVF for years now but find myself back here seeking advice from you lovely lot

My son (age 11) is desperate for his own desktop PC for gaming performance, Fortnite etc. I went through a period in 20’s building pcs but have not built one now for 10+ years

Generally I’m wondering if the effort is worth it for a self build these days? It used to be a cost effective way to spec a good pc but is that still true today? I see a lot more pre-built offerings on the market now

Of course it would be a good learning exercise for us both and certainly my son is interested but I’m wondering now having been out of the fold for many years if this would be so straight forward starting essentially from scratch again all these years on

fianlly, if self build does not stack up, can you recommend a good desktop pc supplier to look at that would run Fortnite at fast FPS etc.

Thanks

building a pc has imo got easier over the last 15 years. very much just a modular build.

off the shelf machines from places such as scan and overclockers are very cheap now days compared to what they used to be. you will be paying a premium for labour etc. there really is not that much in it if you decide to build yourself.

with the ps5/xbox on the way, pc's are not looking as desirable as they once were price to performance imo.

the key things for me is

what use will the pc be for? just gaming or used for a variety of things?

budget?

performance? what will your son be expecting?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom