Answered Buying Disks from America

What is everyone going to do about Stackry once we leave the EU as I believe the allowance before paying import charges is changing to £0? Does that mean we're goosed?

I found Stackry to not really be as cheap as I was expecting, so am probably going to stop using it. I've used BluRaysForEveryone as well but he's prohibitively expensive for all but must-have purchases (like Best Buy exclusives). I'll probably try and source most things through either Amazon or WowHD if possible.

Anyone had a crack with Stackry post-Brexit? Clearly everything is going to be vattable but could still be worthwhile in some cases assuming we are not clobbered with additional admin charges.

I'm days away from doing a consolidated Stackry order, I'm just waiting for one more thing to arrive.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers. I would be interested In hearing how it pans out.

So in terms of Stackry I simply order from Best Buy, have it shipped to my Stackry state tax free address and they ship it to my UK address?
I’ve always had issues with bestbuy and getting them to send to reshipping address. Using a vpn and an American address they still cancel my order saying they don’t send to reshipping addresses. They must have these address flagged on their system as a no no

I wouldn't purchase Blu-ray's at all from the U.S. if I had another option for some discs... Their quality control is the worst in the world in my opinion. I own about 3500 Blu-ray's/4K, I consistently receive scratched discs from the United States... Some are factory sealed, and some have been resealed by Amazon.US that are customer returns. I could post up photos of the bottoms of discs of 10 titles from the U.S. that I have received over the last few weeks that have arrived with scratches on them. The industry over there is feral as far as I'm concerned. I don't experience that low level of quality from any other country, standards are higher in the UK, Europe, Australia etc in my experience.

I think I’ve been extremely lucky as every time I’ve ordered something from the US whether because it’s cheaper or not available here, it’s been in great condition with no scratches. Having said that though I frequently see the same reports from the US users on Blu-ray Forums that their 4Ks are dented, scratched, etc. I order a few things from Amazon and a few from Bluraysforeveryone mostly snd he seems to quality check very well.

My stackry order is 'consolidating' now, so I'll let you know how it shapes up when dispatched, what my charges are, etc.

I've got three 4Ks, two SACDs and two books in the consignment.

What is everyone going to do about Stackry once we leave the EU as I believe the allowance before paying import charges is changing to £0? Does that mean we're goosed?
no its still ok,as your sending items to yourself theres no vat to pay just received a box from shipito valued at £13 no vat to pay on top. as items you brought are shipped to reshippers within the same country then theres no increase in prices or vat to add by sellers. this includes ebay aswell as wowhd and amazon usa

no its still ok,as your sending items to yourself theres no vat to pay just received a box from shipito valued at £13 no vat to pay on top. as items you brought are shipped to reshippers within the same country then theres no increase in prices or vat to add by sellers. this includes ebay aswell as wowhd and amazon usa

That is encouraging but doesn't really make sense to me at all. Granted, vat won't be added by the retailer but surely on arrival in the UK it would be subject to VAT?

Found bluraysforeveryone to be terrible.

If anything goes wrong they're rude and dismissive and do nothing to resolve problems.

That is encouraging but doesn't really make sense to me at all. Granted, vat won't be added by the retailer but surely on arrival in the UK it would be subject to VAT?
no because vat is now paid at point of purchase not on entry to the uk. if you buy something in the usa and have it shipped within the usa no vat. send it to youself from the usa to uk no vat to pay.
rules were changed 1 jan 2021.

Found bluraysforeveryone to be terrible.

If anything goes wrong they're rude and dismissive and do nothing to resolve problems.
Can't say I've had a problem with the guy and what I have received has been well packaged, but I've only made two orders and this one is now in transit via Stackry, so fingers crossed everything is fine.

With Stackry, consolidation resulted in a billable weight reduction of 2 lbs (overall shipping weight 3 lbs).
I opted for Global Mail Direct which takes up to two weeks at $17.42 + $4.00 for full coverage insurance for the total declared value.
Their shipping consolidation fee was $8.00 so roughly $30 shipping altogether. While that alone is cheap enough and reasonable - I think anyway - I'm not sure what custom will bring to the table yet.

Can't say I've had a problem with the guy and what I have received has been well packaged, but I've only made two orders and this one is now in transit via Stackry, so fingers crossed everything is fine.

With Stackry, consolidation resulted in a billable weight reduction of 2 lbs (overall shipping weight 3 lbs).
I opted for Global Mail Direct which takes up to two weeks at $17.42 + $4.00 for full coverage insurance for the total declared value.
Their shipping consolidation fee was $8.00 so roughly $30 shipping altogether. While that alone is cheap enough and reasonable - I think anyway - I'm not sure what custom will bring to the table yet.
nothing to pay as explained before your sending items to yourself.the £15 customs limit has been removed you now pay 20% vat on all imports from retailers (retailers have to charge the 20% at point of sale). sending to yourself from usa incurs no extra charges. just had a parcel sent via shipito no extra charges imposed

It's not difficult for orders to show up, I had several orders that showed up just fine.

I tend to judge companies on how they manage situations when things do go wrong.

In my case when a problem did occur the owner didn't so much as even offer an apology let alone try to fix the situation.

I had a package turned up with a customs fee as the total amount on the form including shipping was above threshold - despite declaring themselves customs friendly - when I pointed this out to the owner he brushed this aside as he can't control customs - yet he'd declared it above the threshold..

More annoying I was shipped an Anaglyph Copy of a 3D movie that was listed in the 3D movies category and advertised as shown below.

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 20.08.59.png

There was even a separate listing for the Film that stated 'Anaglyph' in its listing.

According to the owner it should also have been clear that the above was not a true 3D film because 3D was listed in brackets ...

He didnt apologize or offer to do anything to resolve either these issues when i emailed him.

There were also several posts on the blu-ray.com thread about the business, complaining about rude customer service and refusal to deal with problems. Blu-ray's for everyone .com - Blu-ray Forum

Best avoided in my opinion so buyer beware

no because vat is now paid at point of purchase not on entry to the uk. if you buy something in the usa and have it shipped within the usa no vat. send it to youself from the usa to uk no vat to pay.
rules were changed 1 jan 2021.

nothing to pay as explained before your sending items to yourself.the £15 customs limit has been removed you now pay 20% vat on all imports from retailers (retailers have to charge the 20% at point of sale). sending to yourself from usa incurs no extra charges. just had a parcel sent via shipito no extra charges imposed

Thanks, I didn't realise this and for some reason assumed you were talking about EU, that makes this even better then.

He didnt apologize or offer to do anything to resolve either these issues when i emailed him.

There were also several posts on the blu-ray.com thread about the business, complaining about rude customer service and refusal to deal with problems. Blu-ray's for everyone .com - Blu-ray Forum

Best avoided in my opinion so buyer beware

Not to dismiss anything that you are saying, I can only go by my own experience so far - I have even emailed him a few times and asked him to juggle and change my order around where I've changed my mind and wanted to swap things out, etc - he's been very accommodating and helpful for me personally.

He could be totally different when things go wrong, I can imagine as a one man band he probably has a lot of people trying it on with refunds/returns, etc (not saying at all that that's what you were doing but I can imagine he has a negative response from the offset when complaints come in).

I am aware of not just yours but others' negative feedback too though, so my take is that I only use him when he is the last remaining option to get what I've been after as he is expensive to begin with after all.

By all means do as you please but it stands as a warning to other forum readers.

If I want something that's rare difficult to get hold of Ebay is safer these days - anything goes wrong any problems as a buyer you can get a refund.

With BFE as you can see on the blu ray .com thread Cliff has even refused refunds for orders never delivered.

This seems a loophole to me and, in time, i fear all retailers will stop shipping to reshippers with Ebay being the only option. Better get orders in quick...

This arrived a lot sooner than expected, no additional charges either. Everything was very well packaged in the right size box with plenty of bubble wrap to protect and secure, not a single scruff or anything, even on the books, which are a special gift from a friend in the US so I was worried about the corners.

Considering I got e.g John Wick 3 4K for $7, Dredd 4K which is unavailable here and postage for the lot was only $30 (including larger than A4 paperback books) I would say now that customs charges are dropped its well worth giving a go on a bulk buy of things that are either silly cheap or unavailable here. I think they hold goods for shipment for up to around 40 days so you can consolidate across a number of merchants very easily.

This arrived a lot sooner than expected, no additional charges either. Everything was very well packaged in the right size box with plenty of bubble wrap to protect and secure, not a single scruff or anything, even on the books, which are a special gift from a friend in the US so I was worried about the corners.

Considering I got e.g John Wick 3 4K for $7, Dredd 4K which is unavailable here and postage for the lot was only $30 (including larger than A4 paperback books) I would say now that customs charges are dropped its well worth giving a go on a bulk buy of things that are either silly cheap or unavailable here. I think they hold goods for shipment for up to around 40 days so you can consolidate across a number of merchants very easily.

Cheers.

Yep, I am a long term advocate of Stackry so thanks for the Update post Brexit. I still think things will change as the loophole is closed, but in meantime it Is worth a go for those who haven’t tried it.

What did you quote as the value of your goods (new or second hand values)?

I've just noticed I've got $40 of referals in my Stackry account, so it's high time I bought some stuff :D

This is great to hear and gives me confidence to give Stackry a go. I was slightly confused by all these VAT rules but the explanation provided here by forum members has been useful.

So can I ask whether your declared value exceeded £15 or was it below? And I take it you faced no other charges (i.e. any handling charge from courier / Royal Mail). Thanks once again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom