Buying guide N Ireland

Darren2012

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi
Going today to look at speaker packages receiver amp ect possibly projector screen

I am based i n Ireland

First place obviously is richer sound in Belfast

Can anyone recommend anywhere?

Thanks

Darren

Flicks Bangor and Lyric Belfast. There is a place in Dungannon too, can't remember the name.

Flicks and Lyric have good demo facilities (Lyric has different type room set ups, Flicks have a movie room with B&W 800 series)

Bring a fat cheque book!

Getting prices from flicks, was in lyric too expensive for what I'm looking!!! [emoji23]

I remember the first time I went into Lyric and I had about £2k to spend.....I thought that was a nice little lump for a 5.1 cinema set up.....He brought me into a £30k+ room and once we started talking about prices I started feeling a little bit faint lol

At flicks, you should be able to demo the entry level B&W range (although I recommend a listen to the 800's while you are there, even though the front 3 is over £10k!) and they may have some reasonably priced amps.

Richer Sounds Belfast is very small - unless you go on a midweek day in the middle of January, they are unlikely to be able to set up a demo for you at this time of year.

Whats your budget by the way? Have you already got a projector?

Bought my Jvc X7000 projector and screen from flicks recently and a Kef speaker package in the past
Great service,you won't go wrong buying there

Bought my Jvc X7000 projector and screen from flicks recently and a Kef speaker package in the past
Great service,you won't go wrong buying there
Do they have the new 2015.16 Jvc on Demo?

Ok went to richer sounds Belfast been advised to go for:

Sapphire sfsc171 fixed screen £199
Pioneer AVRX 930
And onko ht588das speaker package £749 all in

Anyone any thoughts as this means very little to me?

Been told going with pioneer it will be future proofed for 4K and I loved the app on the iPad which controlled everything!!

Want to put in led strips and be able to control them with iPad also which or what should i go with to do this?
Thanks

£749 as an all in price is pretty good for all that....not much info around on the Onkyo speakers but I'm sure they will be grand. The 80w subwoofer won't give earth shattering bass but it should still give a nice depth to the sound to supplement the speakers.

It's a small enough room so hoping it will be enough, plus he said to add another one to rear of room?

I would add 2 to the rear to help with the atmos steering effects :)

That's why I am going for pioneer fir the atmos and then if needed can add ceiling speakers further down the line!

I would suggest that the speakers are the weak point in that system and the 930 really deserves better speakers to get the most from it. I assume the Onkyo package is the Atmos one in Richer Sounds. Ideally you would be looking at spending over £1k on a 5.1 package. If this is not possible then I would consider using the money you have left after the AVR to buy the front 2 or 3 speakers for now and then add the sub/rears/Atmos speakers later. You will end up with a much better sounding system. Onkyo are not known for their great speakers. That said I have not heard the speaker package so they may be better than I think.
Personally I would prefer 1 good sub than 2 poor ones. Hence I would not be buying the same sub as the second one but upgrading to one decent sub.

Yeh it's the atmos package, what package would you suggest? Complete novice at this? Would rather spend the extra few hundred now than replace the lot in a year speaker wise?

A lot will depend on the size of the speakers you can want but could look at these packages (although these will all stretch your budget by a fair bit):

KEF Q100 5.1 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds
Q Acoustics 3000 5.1 Black Leather | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 220 HCPBlack 5.1 Speaker Package
Q ACOUSTICS Q7000iWhite 5.1 Speaker Package

If you can not stretch to the packages then pretty much all the speakers in the packages above can be bought separately so you could just buy the speakers you can afford at the moment.
All the ones above should pair well with the Pioneer AVR. The more expensive packages are better speakers so would give a better overall sound so just depends on how much you want to spend.

I posted in your build thread. As you're a carpenter, you should build your own screen, seeing as it's a dedicated room. That's some money saved to put towards kit. As Dante alludes to, you want a good balance to the speakers and amp selection. It's a long room so absolutely primed for a 7.1.2 atmos system (3 at the front, 2 sides, 2 rears and 2 ceiling speakers)

You would need a 9 channel amp though and they are expensive. Plus 9 speakers.

I don't know how much budget you can stretch to and I know what it's like to want something installed straight away.

Your room has great potential so it would be a shame not make it sonically amazing.

If it was me, I would build my own screen, buy a really cheap surround system of eBay or something which means at least you have something to listen to....and then get saving for a full 9 channel (or even 11 channel) sound system. All depends on how far you want to go with the room.

Do they have the new 2015.16 Jvc on Demo?
Not at the time of buying mine,bought it blind just done my homework
It was between the Sony 320 and the JVC X7000
Think Sony dropped the ball this year with the specs and I think you get more for your money with JVC
Got a cracking deal and great service with Flicks
Highly recommended [emoji106]

Still havnt decided on what to buy
I love the fact with the pioneer that it can all be controlled via app on iPad, but surely there is other apps for other systems?

@Darren2012 Don't bother trying to get anything here, there's much better choice on the mainland from the assured advertisers on here if you're going to go above a Richer Sounds budget. Start with Dan @themovierooms in Edinburgh and move on from there - that way you'll actually get something good at the right price and they won't try and oversell you either.

@Darren2012 Don't bother trying to get anything here, there's much better choice on the mainland from the assured advertisers on here if you're going to go above a Richer Sounds budget. Start with Dan @themovierooms in Edinburgh and move on from there - that way you'll actually get something good at the right price and they won't try and oversell you either.

Cheers

As a complete novice, not wanting to sell myself short and have to update in a year speaker wise
That's where I don't want to buy just for the sake of buying, I want to do it right, well as right as my budget will allow

Cheers

As a complete novice, not wanting to sell myself short and have to update in a year speaker wise
That's where I don't want to buy just for the sake of buying, I want to do it right, well as right as my budget will allow

What's your budget? Do you need everything, like amp, speakers and sub? There's always the classifieds if you want something good but used. I'm happy to give you a hand with it all, I used to be in the trade back in the day.

What's your budget? Do you need everything, like amp, speakers and sub? There's always the classifieds if you want something good but used. I'm happy to give you a hand with it all, I used to be in the trade back in the day.

Budget was in around 500/600 but could push it out now a few hundred so need all except screen and projector need to source material for screen if I can build my own screen then it will save me a few pound!

That would be great! As advice and help is what I need!!! Could build you a house but regarding this [emoji85][emoji85][emoji85]

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom