Question Buying TV for parents, Do I need to go IPS

gmoore23

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, As the title states, I'm looking to buy my parents a tv for christmas so will be purchasing in the Black Friday sales. They currently have a 50 inch LG I purchased for them 5 or 6 years ago however it doesn't look as big as it used to with much bigger sets widely available nowadays so I'm looking to get them a 65 inch set.
I have attached a template of their living room as I think I may have to stick with an Ips panel but would like opinions on this.
Budget is £700,
Taking into account the Black Friday Sales, what do you think will be my best option at that time.

Attachments

• Living Room Layout.png
    Living Room Layout.png
    17 KB · Views: 73
Yes in that situation you'll need an IPS paneled LCD TV, especially so for the farthest seating position. If the other rectangle to the right is a sofa, TV viewing will be completely unwatchable on a VA panel and very poor on a IPS panel, you'd need an OLED really to watch there.

If that farthest seating position (bottom sofa) isn't used very much and the other sofa isn't used at all (right) you will be fine with a TV with a VA type panel.

65" you are looking at TVs like LGs UM series which definitely be using an IPS panel. Sony TVs which also use IPS panels will likely be out of budget.

If you can get away with VA you'll get better picture quality overall, especially if they like to enjoy the TV in the dark, for that I'd recommend Hisense B series.

With other manufactures the choice is unknown, or not great. Samsung you won't know what panel comes on the TV until you buy it. Philips to a lesser extent, but still not 100% if their TVs are using VA or IPS at 65" and with Panasonic the options are either overpriced (GX800) or very poor quality.

Thanks, The other rectangle is another sofa but never used when watching tv. However the 3 positions with lines pointed are used regularly. I know Va panels have much better blacks and contrast but I'm afraid the picture may appear washed out off centre. There is a sony kdl55w829 in another room and I suppose I could try that out in the living room to see how it handles being viewed at those angles before purchasing a new set.

The viewing angles on the Sony will be similar to a new VA paneled TV, so you only need to view that TV at the same angle to get a good idea of what to expect in the living room. Of course moving it would be better, but you don't need too.

We will see what Black Friday deals come our way, it may mean you can get a mid range model instead of low range depending on how lucky we get with offers. Hard to recommend now on current pricing as it could all change.

I take it your parents couldn't put the TV on the wall to the left of the drawing ?
You could then buy a Hisense 65B7100 / 65B7500 or a Samsung .
Otherwise , as Dodge says , you're looking at an LG 65UM7400 @ £699 [ Richer Sounds ] or if you go to Currys they have a few more LGs to choose from 7610PLB @ £749 - 7450PLA @ £699 - 7510PLA @ £749 .
My Daughter has a 2017 55" LG , it cost around £549 so not one of the expensive ones [ don't know the model but it has a 50Hz panel I'm sure ] - it can be dark in places but personally I find it acceptable - it hasn't been calibrated . You may find that your parents will be very happy to receive such a nice gift .

The nearest Sony to your budget I could find is the XG8096 £949 @ Currys , perhaps come BF the price could fall a wee bit - XG7073 £929 @ Richer Sounds .
Best of luck .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom