bigdannyb79

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I have spent some time reading other posts as sure this has been asked before but I'm tying myself in knots !

I have a LGCX OLED tv I intend to connect to a SONOS Arc via a 1m 2.1 compliant HDMI for EARC but I want to ensure the longer connections from my TV to my PS4 and Sky Q box will do the job. I've always believed and read 3m is your max distance with HDMI when doing 4k etc.

So I want to send 4k HDR & Dolby ATMOS from my Sky Q to my TV and ensure the sonos can get ATMOS. I would ideally like to do this using a 5m cable but is this likely to cause issues using a passive cable ?

I was looking at the cable below from what appears a respectable company - is this likely to work or is it a case of its a 5m cable but it cant be used at max bandwith over that distance ? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

HDMI cables - ignore version numbers and look for official HDMI.org Certification on any passive copper cables you are considering.

Ultra High Speed - is the new standard and as per the link you provide folk are already abusing the term. Certified UHS cables have still to ship, will be expensive and all indications are 3m max length.

Premium High Speed - is achievable at 5m and will cater for your current requirement.

Joe

thanks joe - I know I seen people abuse the terms with reorganising the letters etc but that particular cable had the exact new standard in the product name - something I thought manufacturers cleverly avoided. I've taken on board your comments about version numbers but because I knew I needed eARC from my TV to my soundbar I had to look for a cable that had that 2.1 feature. So just to confirm for me and to lay it out for others. I only need a cable identified as being eARC capable for the short run from my TV to my soundbar (a certified 'premium' cable doesn't guarantee eARC does it?) . The other longer runs any certified 'Premium High Speed' cable will have the bandwidth needed to carry 4K HDR & ATMOS signals and be reliable over a 5m run.

I was looking at this cable - respected supplier with clear certification from the manufacturer at a decent price ?

eARC - is designed to work with any High Speed, Premium High Speed or Ultra High Speed certified cable, HDMI ARC - What is eARC? Audio Return Channel - HDMI

4K UHD with HDR and Atmos - will work with any High Speed, Premium High Speed or Ultra High Speed certified cable, the limitation being certified cables top out at 8m after which you require some form of 'active' cable and most/all of those are not Certified as they fail to meet the requirement to only pull power from an external PSU so once you go 'active' you have to look for real world recommendations on cables which are reliable.

It would be nice if folk stopped abusing the terminology - I fear that will never happen so the best you can do is look for the official logo/certificates, HDMI Cable Overview - What Are the Different HDMI Cables? - HDMI

Joe

thanks - it is a minefield. And I'm a IT professional so would think this wouldn't be that hard but you end up reading so much I never seemed to reach a conclusion ! I read the HDMI site but as you point out the manufactures and retailers then make it very difficult understand how the equipment relates to the info on there. But after all that I'm off looking for a sticker on a box ;)

Hi all - I have spent some time reading other posts as sure this has been asked before but I'm tying myself in knots !

I have a LGCX OLED tv I intend to connect to a SONOS Arc via a 1m 2.1 compliant HDMI for EARC but I want to ensure the longer connections from my TV to my PS4 and Sky Q box will do the job. I've always believed and read 3m is your max distance with HDMI when doing 4k etc.

So I want to send 4k HDR & Dolby ATMOS from my Sky Q to my TV and ensure the sonos can get ATMOS. I would ideally like to do this using a 5m cable but is this likely to cause issues using a passive cable ?

I was looking at the cable below from what appears a respectable company - is this likely to work or is it a case of its a 5m cable but it cant be used at max bandwith over that distance ? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

I have a high quality 5 M copper Premium HDMI cable that will do everything perfectly except 4K HDR at 60 FPS when some sparkles can be seen in the image. I solved it completely by replacing it with with a Fibre Optic Hybrid HDMI cable.

5 metres HDMI (copper cable) is right on the edge of what will work due to signal attenuation. It may work for you, or it may not.

Also, some devices seem more sensitive than others, possibly due to small variations in signal voltage.

Regards,
James.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom