Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War (PS5/PS4) (Holiday 2020)

That does look pretty good tbh.

Jack Frags agrees:

"what they showed us was pre-beta running on a Playstation 5, on first impressions I would say it looked as good as modern warfare campaign on ultra settings on a high end PC which does fall in line with my expectations of next-gen launch titles".

Possibly the best looking game I've seen that. Those graphics were astounding.

I would love them to bin off the MP one year and just do an amazing shoot-the-hell-out-of-everything massive Campaign.

But it'll never happen :laugh:

I saw somewhere that it’s a 40 hour campaign (which seems really unlikely) and online has shared progression with Warzone.

“With next-generation consoles, the game will play at 4K resolution and refresh rates at 120hz. Cold War will use haptic controllers. The solid-state drives (SSDs) with flash memory in the new consoles will have faster load times, and that means that the loading screens will be gone, with seamless transitions between cinematics and gameplay.”

That's defo what we want. Let's hope that's what is delivered.

Main info

Next-generation visuals

With next-generation consoles, the game will play at 4K resolution and refresh rates at 120hz. Cold War will use haptic controllers. The solid-state drives (SSDs) with flash memory in the new consoles will have faster load times, and that means that the loading screens will be gone, with seamless transitions between cinematics and gameplay.

“We want to make sure that the framerate is responsive, and that it feels like there’s nothing on the technical side preventing you from having a good time,” Bunting said.

The game will feature a global illumination system that makes use of real-time ray tracing. That means the lighting and shadows will be accurate, with rays of light bouncing around a scene in a realistic manner. You’ll see the effects of this in things like Woods’ pickup truck (with the fictional brand name Bannerocks), which has a run-down look that feels like it’s from another era. You see duct tape, cracked vinyl, and a CB radio in the interior.

“With the power of the next-gen systems, we’ll be able to add even more detail and put even more love into everything we create,” said Katie Sabin, a vehicle artist at Raven Software.

Lighting director Alberto Noti of Raven said that the team aimed for greater photorealism than ever before. It captured imagery of assets from the 1980s. And they would use the capabilities of the next-generation consoles to display the imagery with HDR, 4K, and wide color gamuts. The Soviet world was gray, but the team injected pink, purple, red, and other primary colors to change up the visuals in different scenes. The aim was to create a 1980s look and feel in places like an arcade or a bar.

Was Noti blowing smoke? I couldn’t tell, because I was watching a video presentation, and I didn’t get to see the game in the same room with the developers. But Call of Duty has never been a disappointment with its visuals.

The game will also have improved 3D audio, so it’s easier to figure out where the sound is coming from in a 3D environment, said David Vonderhaar of Treyarch. That means it’s taking advantage of advances in audio tech for the next-gen consoles.

“We couldn’t be happier how this new adventure for the next generation expands the universe,” Bunting said.

Could be very special indeed. At least in terms of looks.

Realistic eyes. Lashes and pupil movements made the characters look really like like. Interesting.

4K@120 with raytracing. Hmm.

Okey dokey. I wish them well with that.

They actually never said all three at once if you notice, I have no doubt the PS5 can handle it though, but they only said it has these features... Looks good though and a successor to BLOPS is great in my mind without Exo skeletons and laser guns!! And NO safe spaces either...

I wonder how long before you have to actually delete the game to have enough space to download the update for it:D

Probably give this a whirl despite enjoying BF more these days which is actually more like Cod than Cod.

bloody RCXD is back, great:laugh:

Probably give this a whirl despite enjoying BF more these days which is actually more like Cod than Cod.

bloody RCXD is back, great:laugh:

So is the mini map and dead silence apparently.

I can’t remember the last time I even enjoyed Cod.

probably black ops on the PS3 which in itself was a broken game for months

I’ve lost count of how many times I‘ve stated this is going to be my last COD....then another November happens.

To be honest I'd say the one we have now is probably the best we've had for many a year.

I'm still in awe at these graphics.

To be honest I'd say the one we have now is probably the best we've had for many a year.

I'm still in awe at these graphics.
I sunk 11 days in casually on this one so far

I sunk 11 days in casually on this one so far

I've not played it too much, only when a few mates have been about (never on my own), but having dabbled with them all this current one is definitely the most reliable online for a long time. As in not having horrendous lag or matchmaking.

Warzone is a different story but I don't bother with that anyway. Was nice to have some co-op stuff again as well.

I moved over to Battlefield. I think I’ve sunk about 1k hours into the last 2.

the last Cod I bought was Ghosts when the PS4 was released. I’ve played all the others but none any longer than a couple of hours and had no desire to ever play again.

They actually never said all three at once if you notice, I have no doubt the PS5 can handle it though, but they only said it has these features... Looks good though and a successor to BLOPS is great in my mind without Exo skeletons and laser guns!! And NO safe spaces either...

Tbh I’m amazed they’re targeting 4K 120 at all, with or without ray tracing. That’s a hell of a strain on the hardware. We shall see. I can’t help think they may be better off going for 1440p 120, if they really want to hit 120, and try to keep as many graphical bells and whistles as possible. Even then, adding ray tracing on top of that would take huge processing power. As powerful as PS5 and Series X are, I’m slightly dubious about this but I’ll be happy to be proved wrong.

Realistic eyelashes, 4K, 120fps? Sure ok, but what about Field of View, are you still running down a corridor (no doubt a pretty ray-traced 4K corridor) with infinite respawning enemies? If i'm running in the jungle, will there be 3 foot tall logs i can't jump over? or "leaving mission zone" when i stray 30' from the designated path?

Not saying it needs to be open world, but when i play CoD i often can't get past the overly restrictive gamey elements to enjoy the experience. That's what i hope they've fixed with "next gen".

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom