Cambridge Audio CXUHD Owners thread

Off the top of my head, Atomic Blonde, Fast & Furious 4 and 5 definitely give me this issue.
I just tried Atomic Blonde, American Ultra and Ex Machina mkvs and all three loaded and played with DTSX over my network.

I just tried Atomic Blonde, American Ultra and Ex Machina mkvs and all three loaded and played with DTSX over my network.

Hmmmm, I’ll go and shout at mine when I get home then

Hmmmm, I’ll go and shout at mine when I get home then
Not too loudly I hope. These devices are a pleasure to use. I hardly ever switched on my boxy Sony X700 but am using the CXUHD daily now.

Hi guys,
can I ask how is possible to choose between Dolby Vision and HDR10+ in case that UHD has both, for example Alita?

Thanks David

Hi guys,
can I ask how is possible to choose between Dolby Vision and HDR10+ in case that UHD has both, for example Alita?

Thanks David

Cambridge suggested these settings are the solution but I haven’t got Alita to check.

Dolby vision: Setup Menu -> Video Output Setup -> HDR Setting ->Auto
HDR: Setup Menu -> Video Output Setup -> HDR Setting ->Forced

Cambridge suggested these settings are the solution but I haven’t got Alita to check.

This doesnt work. If there is DV in UHD disk, then goes only DV, cant go even HDR10. Need to try UHD with DV and HDR10+, what would be preffered DV or HDR10+. As I know, if you have Panasonic TV, you can on/off both DV and HDR10+ separatly. In some former firmware on Cambridge I saw DV option in HDR settings, but in last FW is only Auto or Force (force HDR even if you dont have HDR TV)

Well I've got Alita coming this weekend so I'll try and feedback to them.

That's something I always wondered about...in my particular case it doesn't matter because my Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision (only HDR10+), but I was curious as to how a player knows which version of HDR to play if a display handles both kinds of dynamic flavours (HDR10+ and DV).

I understand that in the case of a display supporting just HDR10+ OR DV, the player would output either of those formats instead of the base HDR10 layer...but what if a display can support both HDR10+ and DV?

I just tested a full rip of the UHD of Alita and it played in HDR 10+ regardless of the forced or auto HDR setting on the player. Some of the intro section played in DV. I'd have to use the Panasonic TV settings to force DV. I haven't put the disc in yet to see if it repeats those results.

Edit: Just tried the disc and exactly the same result.

Last edited:
Weird...

I do t think CA were prepared for discs with two dynamic formats.

From what I’ve read anyway, DV is still the way to go

Well, as I said, I don't have to personally worry about that right now because my Samsung display only handles HDR10 and HDR10+, but I was concerned about the way it worked if a display can handle both...

But how many Blu-rays are going to be released with BOTH HDR10+ and DV? And is DV THAT much better than 10+?

So, if you have Panasonic GZ, you are able to switch ON/OFF both DV and HDR10+? Then if you play Alita and switch HDR10+ OFF, you can watch in DV. And if you switch DV OFF (or would be both HDR10+ and DV ON), then you watch preffered HDR10+, right?

I was hoping that another CXUHD owner can perhaps test something for me (if they're running their player in a similar configuration as mine; more on that in a sec) that I noticed after watching my regular 1080p Blu-ray of Captain America: Civil War last night (I think I noticed it before this, but can't remember exactly when). If any CXUHD owner in this forum owns this film on Blu, I'd appreciate him/her checking this out...

First, I have my CXUHD connected directly to my Samsung NU8000 4K display via HDMI for straight video passthrough (with a second HDMI cable going from the player to an older Onkyo TX-SR605 amp for bitstreamed audio decoding), and have its resolution set to AUTO -- so whenever I play a DVD or Blu-ray on the Cambridge, the player upscales the image to 2160p to match my display's resolution.

As such, Blu-rays like Civil War come into the Samsung as upscaled 2160 video -- but last night, when I watched the disc, I noticed a weird artifacting of some kind very early on in the film. In the opening sequence, when we're re-introduced to The Winter Soldier in that Siberian hideout, the screen first shows the commander reaching for that red folder sitting in that "cubby" area (which contains the secret passwords that trigger Bucky's Hydra-affected memory)...when this brief scene played, there was weird "pulsating" or "aliasing" in the grid lines that comprised the cubby that the folder sits in on my display. It's hard to describe, but it was almost like the player's de-interlacing abilities got "tripped up" and rendered that scene with some issues (being that the CXUHD is set to scale resolutions beneath 2160 up to 4K before hitting the display).

The reason this concerns me is because I wouldn't think the duties of upconverting or scaling 1080p video to 2160 would be that difficult for any 4K Blu-ray player, let alone one of the CXUHD's caliber; it doesn't make sense that this sequence would have caused the player's processor trouble and make that moment look as weird as it did on my screen...

DVD upscaling I can understand having issues from time to time, as it's a 480-line resolution going to up to 2160, and this takes a lot of processing power to look decent (which most DVDs do on the CXUHD)...but Blu-ray upconversion being tripped up?

Did anyone notice anything funky about that opening scene when the commander reaches for the red folder? Can someone check on this for me?

Thank you, in advance...

*Addendum: THIS is the scene I'm referring to:

On my disc, those textured walls surrounding the folder looked weird and pulsated, as if there was something off with the upscaling of the Blu-ray on my CXUHD...

Last edited:

Cambridge are still saying these settings should work switching between HDR10+ and DV. However, they now say you should unplug the power lead for ten seconds after changing settings for the change to work. Haven’t tried it yet.

I added a Roku to the HDMI-IN and had obvious lip sync errors. Took it out and added back directly to the receiver and they were gone. Anyone else had similar?

I wonder if you guys can help me with a query? I am thinking about swapping my separates system (arcam solo mini and Kef q15 speakers) to a Naim Muso. I still have an extensive cd collection and would want to connect a disc spinner to the Muso, this could be accomplished by replacing a very old dvd with a nice high end blue ray player.
Have any of you owners attached your CA to a Muso or even an amplifier and used it as a cd transport, if so did you use the hdmi cable or optical and how did it sound.
Many thanks

Hi all, I’m experiencing some audio/video drop outs with my cxuhd, the screen goes blank/audio goes silent & my screen shows the searching for signal icon, last night, the drop outs were accompanied by a crackling sound through the speakers.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi all, I’m experiencing some audio/video drop outs with my cxuhd, the screen goes blank/audio goes silent & my screen shows the searching for signal icon, last night, the drop outs were accompanied by a crackling sound through the speakers.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Have you tried different premium certified HDMI cables?

Also try both the one cable and two cable route to see what happens.

I'm using two cables, to allow HDR10+, and have not come across anything similar to date.

Thanks mate, to be honest I have fairly budget hdmi cables from receiver to tv (10m) & projector (5m) but I don’t get any probs with my Apple TV to the PJ & only 1080p tv/PJ, it does seem the most likely culprit though so I’ll try the cables first :thumbsup:

Update on my dropouts situation, swapped my old but V expensive & pristine Chord co hdmi cable from cxuhd to AVR, for an Amazon basics, V inexpensive hdmi cable & no more dropouts :thumbsup:

Here's something else I wanted to run past CXUHD owners to see if anyone else is experiencing this...

I realize that most owners of a player of this caliber will be of the bleeding-edge tech type, thus they have left their DVD collections behind for mostly UHD playback...however, I own a massive library of DVD titles and simply cannot afford to replace even my favorites (perhaps one or two at a time, but not at the present) on Ultra HD Blu-ray (if they're available at all). We also do a ton of DVD renting (can't get most new titles on Blu-ray via the "Redbox" kiosk we rent from here in the States) and own many "special editions" of films in the DVD format that we have no intention of replacing. As such, the format remains important for us, and it's vital that a UHD disc player upscale DVDs well.

That out of the way, I have experienced a strange noise when playing some DVDs in the CXUHD almost from the first day I had it -- it's difficult to describe, but it's almost like a "grinding" or "chuffing" sound. It doesn't happen at all when viewing regular or 4K Blu-rays, only with some DVDs (and, again, not all); I have been in contact with Cambridge about this over the course of months now, but what they have asked me to do, most recently, is actually send them the DVDs that I am experiencing noise with to see if they can replicate it on their end...this sounds kind of weird to me, so I'm in a bit of a standstill with this situation right now.

During this past Halloween season, we viewed the Superbit DVD edition (region 1/A) of John Carpenter's Vampires (
1572902432328.png
)
, and the CXUHD was the noisiest I ever heard it with this disc -- so loud, in fact, that the quieter parts of the film were difficult to make out (and we have a full 5.1 surround system) over the grinding noise of the tray/loading mechanism (where I assume it's coming from).

Have any other CXUHD owners experienced noise when playing DVDs? What could this possibly be coming from, any guesses? Perhaps my particular unit is simply out of spec as it came off the assembly line?

On a side note, I asked Cambridge about my using this Maxell brushless "laser lens cleaner" on a somewhat regular basis in the CXUHD:

1572902000550.png

And if it could possibly be doing "damage" to the point it is causing the noise I'm hearing in the player with DVDs (I didn't think it could, being that Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays play back without any noise) and while my contact told me he doesn't think it will cause long-term harm to the player (there are no brushes involved to touch the laser), it is certainly possible it is somehow causing the noise...

This concerned me very much, as I usually use this product after so many hours of viewing discs on my CXUHD (and have used it previously with an Oppo BDP-83), and I just can't see how this cleaner would be causing the noise (I believe I heard it before using the Maxell product, so that's even more evidence that it didn't cause it)....perhaps the spinning action of the "wind funnel" system is "loosening" the drive mechanism inside, or perhaps weakening the disc tray?

Anyone have any thoughts in this regard?

I still watch DVD’s in mine - indeed, just before I headed out on this trip I watched Pearl Jam: Immagine in Cornice and has no issues with drive noise.

I’ve got a hankering to watch Spaced again, and have the boxed set of that on DVD, so will do that when back in England and let you know. Am not flying home until the 15th though

I still watch DVD’s in mine - indeed, just before I headed out on this trip I watched Pearl Jam: Immagine in Cornice and has no issues with drive noise.

I’ve got a hankering to watch Spaced again, and have the boxed set of that on DVD, so will do that when back in England and let you know. Am not flying home until the 15th though

Thanks very much, Joe; I appreciate it. As I said, it doesn't happen with all DVDs, but many.

Thanks very much, Joe; I appreciate it. As I said, it doesn't happen with all DVDs, but many.
Remarkable as it is in this UHD age I still play as many DVDs as Blu-ray or better these days. But I rip mine and play over network so no tray problems. This player is a quite excellent streamer for reliability.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom