Question Cambridge Audio Edge vs Simaudio

jbox5

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for an upgrade of my amplifier and am considering moving to separates (but let's not get into the pros and cons of integrated vs separates - that's been done to death already). The two current options taking my fancy are the Cambridge Audio Edge W and NQ streaming pre-amp or the Simaudio 330a with 390 streamer/pre-amp.

I'd love to do an audition with both but I'm not sure of any dealers that stock both in the UK so if anyone knows of any please shout, but also any first hand opinions of either would be welcome, as would any alternative suggestions that I might consider that don't extend much beyond the price of the Simaudio set.

The Little Audio Company is a Simaudio stockist and Dave is a member on here. I've always preferred seperates, easier to upgrade and somewhat easier to repair should be the worse happen.

https://www.thelittleaudiocompany.co.uk/

Im also considering the Cambridge Edge and am struggling on how to audition against it's competition like Simaudio. Only Richer Sounds sell Cambridge as the two companies have links and Richer, being more mainstream, don't sell other amps to compare with the Edge or speakers to do it justice imo. Solution would be home demo which Richer offer on the Edge (which is around the best way to audition as the room has a big impact on sound) and others may offer home demo on Simaudio. My problem is the nearest Richer is 100 miles away so they are unlikely to offer home demo....

Im also considering the Cambridge Edge and am struggling on how to audition against it's competition like Simaudio. Only Richer Sounds sell Cambridge as the two companies have links and Richer, being more mainstream, don't sell other amps to compare with the Edge or speakers to do it justice imo. Solution would be home demo which Richer offer on the Edge (which is around the best way to audition as the room has a big impact on sound) and others may offer home demo on Simaudio. My problem is the nearest Richer is 100 miles away so they are unlikely to offer home demo....
Richer sounds did offer to 'allow' me to take home demo gear if I paid in full before - I too live a long way from a store..

Richer sounds did offer to 'allow' me to take home demo gear if I paid in full before - I too live a long way from a store..
I once had a bad experience with Richer doing this - I bought a top of the range Marantz CD player (CD94???) which also had a matching separate DAC. I said I would buy the DAC if I could hear an improvement over the internal DAC. I paid in full on that understanding and took it home. I could hear no difference and so took it back. I had to have a huge row in store frightening off other customers before I could return it for a refund. That was 30 years ago however so things may have changed but Caveat Emptor

I once had a bad experience with Richer doing this - I bought a top of the range Marantz CD player (CD94???) which also had a matching separate DAC. I said I would buy the DAC if I could hear an improvement over the internal DAC. I paid in full on that understanding and took it home. I could hear no difference and so took it back. I had to have a huge row in store frightening off other customers before I could return it for a refund. That was 30 years ago however so things may have changed but Caveat Emptor
Lordy, I certainly hope so..!
I have to say that I'd be sure to take lots of photos before taking anything out of the store and would want some sort of written agreement, especially having read your tale.
Thanks for the warning.

I agree a home demo would be ideal, especially as my closest Richer Sounds has a truly awful demo room. I'd be loathe to pay full price (as others suggest you have to) though just to take their demo unit home for a couple of days to trial.

Still interested to hear if there are any other options I should be considering in this price bracket. I don't feel particularly up to date with all the manufacturers around at the moment.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom