Answered Can’t get multichannel sound on Denon AVR-X2000 via TV

Richard Harnwell

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a new Samsung Q90R TV paired with my old Denon AVR-X2000 (has basic 4K passthru and ARC) and I’d like to get my Xbox One X connected optimally.

If I connect the console into the receiver I get multichannel audio, and though it will pass through a basic 4K picture it doesn’t allow HDR or most 4K variants, so it seems like the best option is to connect it straight to the TV. This gives me HDR etc., but I can’t seem to get multichannel audio through to the amp. Should this be possible?

The console is connected to one of the TV’s HDMI inputs. The TV and receiver are connected by their respective ARC HDMI ports.
My TV sound output is set to “Receiver (HDMI)”. This works fine for passing Dolby Digital + from its Amazon Prime app.

My Xbox One HDMI audio output options are: stereo uncompressed/5.1 unc./7.1 unc./bitstream
There’s then bitstream options of DTS surround/Dolby Digital/Atmos

When I set Xbox to Stereo unc. or Bitstream Dolby Digital/DTS I get stereo on receiver
When I set it to 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed, Xbox shows “check your audio receiver”

I’m having similar issues with my PS4 Pro.

Am I misunderstanding how ARC works or is my older amp maybe lacking something?

Last edited:
Your AV receiver lacks HDCP 2.2 compliance so is basically of no use what so ever if wanting to passthrough commercial 4K UHD content.

You may be able to pass some forms of multichannel audio through the TV and out to your AV receiver via either the TV's optical output or by using HDMI ARC, but you are limited to 5.1 SD formats such as Dolby Digital and DTS and will not be able to passthrough HD formats such as TrueHD or DYS-HD Master Audio. You'd also not be able to convey more than just 2 channels of PCM via the TV or its digital audio outputs.

All in all, it depends upon what the audio you are trying to convey is formatted as, whether the TV itself can handle that format and whether either ARC or optical can convey it.

Your AV receiver lacks HDCP 2.2 compliance so is basically of no use what so ever if wanting to passthrough commercial 4K UHD content.

You may be able to pass some forms of multichannel audio through the TV and out to your AV receiver via either the TV's optical output or by using HDMI ARC, but you are limited to 5.1 SD formats such as Dolby Digital and DTS and will not be able to passthrough HD formats such as TrueHD or DYS-HD Master Audio. You'd also not be able to convey more than just 2 channels of PCM via the TV or its digital audio outputs.

All in all, it depends upon what the audio you are trying to convey is formatted as, whether the TV itself can handle that format and whether either ARC or optical can convey it.

Thank you, that makes sense.

I’d be quite happy at the moment with Dolby Digital / DTS from my Console, but that doesn’t seem to be working. I had decided I’m probably going to need to upgrade my receiver, especially if I want the full benefits of using the console to play 4K Blu-rays, but just a bit puzzled why I can’t get basic multichannel passed through...

Does your console have a separate digital audio output? If so, run that into the AVR and use the HDMI to the TV for video only.

Does your console have a separate digital audio output? If so, run that into the AVR and use the HDMI to the TV for video only.

Woohoo! This does the trick, thank you! Not sure why I didn’t think of that!

I think I still need a receiver upgrade (thinking probably Denon AVR-X2500H) but this will get me my console multichannel until then .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom