Can a Denon 4520AVR be used as external amp?

PaulBNZ

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I am hoping that someone may be able to provide me with some information regarding the following: I’m wanting to purchase the new Denon 4700H AVR and was wondering if my old 4520 could be used as an external amp to power the centre and front left and right speakers. If so, which inputs on the 4520 would I use to connect these from the 4700H pre-outs? Also, where to connect the trigger cable on the 4520. Does this need a trigger in terminal?
Many thanks In advance for responses and suggestions.
Paul

It's possible. You connect the 4700 Pre Outs to the 7.1 External Inputs on the rear of the 4520. You'd then need to set the master volume of the 4520 to 0db and make sure it's set to use the 7.1 EXT In and to always turn on at that volume setting.

It has no Trigger Inputs so you'd have to turn it on manually. You'll need to cover up the remote sensor on the 4520 otherwise every time you use the 4700 remote it will affect the 4520.

To be honest, I'd sell the 4520 and look at getting a dedicated poweramp.

The remote doesn't have to be a problem, the 4520 has 4 different remote IDs that you can switch the amp and remote between to prevent it clashing with other devices.

You may even be able to apply some lateral thinking. The 4520 remote is a much more sophisticated beast so could in theory be used to control the 4700 and learn the different codes to power the old amp as well.

Many thanks Jase and Jamie for your prompt and helpful replies. If I do stick with the 4520, and connect as you say Jase, will the 4700 remote control it’s volume at the same time? Sorry to perhaps ask a silly question....

Many thanks Jase and Jamie for your prompt and helpful replies. If I do stick with the 4520, and connect as you say Jase, will the 4700 remote control it’s volume at the same time? Sorry to perhaps ask a silly question....

It can do, but as Jamie points out, you can change the remote codes so that it doesn't.

Ideally you want to be able to set and forget the 4520 apart from turning it on/off.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom