Can anyone recommend a new home wifi router?

everitt1984

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

As per the title really. I have been using the router which I got free from TalkTalk when I joined about 2 years ago and think maybe its on its way out.

I dont know if its the router or our iphones but the youtube and app updates just dont work when I'm using my wifi (mine & the mrs both 3gs).

Also the range is quite poor...

Our boradband is 2mb but we rarely get that, usually nearer 1. Can a router improve this, if so which characteristics do I need to look for?

Sorry for all the noob questions, as you can tell I know zilch about them!

The Netgear DG834 series are good routers. The DG834GT is particularly good. If you are able to surf the web OK using your Iphone it seems a bit strange that the app updates don't work. Does it bring up any error message? Have you tried downloading the updates with the Iphone plugged in and charging? It might be that the download is timing out and the Iphone is turning off it's wifi.

We have around 30 broadband connections on the island and I can safely say you can't go wrong with the netgear dg834 series. I have seen broadband connections jump from 1.5Mbps to 2.5Mbps just by changing to the netgear. They also tend to be reliable and can hold on to the connection for long periods of time.

1. think maybe its on its way out.

2. I dont know if its the router or our iphones but the youtube and app updates just dont work when I'm using my wifi (mine & the mrs both 3gs).

3. Also the range is quite poor...

4. Our boradband is 2mb but we rarely get that, usually nearer 1. Can a router improve this, if so which characteristics do I need to look for?

5. Sorry for all the noob questions, as you can tell I know zilch about them!
1. What makes you think that? Electronic devices don't usually go: "on its way out". They tend to work or not. I have installed some of the Talk Talk routers and they appear to be perfectly OK.

2. Have you read the many threads on these forums that explain how to fix WiFi problems like yours?

3. See 2.

4. Unlikely. Before you spend any money, I suggest that you start by reading the many threads on these forums that explain how to fix your Internal telephone wiring.

5. I am sure that by asking questions you prompt answers that will help others.

Thanks for the replies, Ill have a look at the Netgear series.

On its way out is a bad phrase maybe, but lately my connection has been dropping out a lot. Its definetely no where near as good as when it was first installed I think the range has shrunk.

Not seen any threads on fixing the problems, I'll have a quick search.

There are no issues with the internal wiring as its a new build and they have all been checked. As far as I'm aware anyway, father in law works for BT so he fixed it all for us when we first moved in.

Last edited:
Sounds very much like wifi interference issues to me. Lots of threads here describe how to use InSSIDer to "survey" your wifi locale for competing wifi AP's and thence assess whether your AP is tuned to the best radio channel available. (If you have/can borrow a PC available to run it on.)

I downloaded the program you suggested and have it scanning now. Dont completely understand the results, from what I gather the -50dBm is pretty decent. What are the signs of interference?

Attached is a screen shot of my scan.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 59
It's the channel overlaps and your signal margin's over the others in the locale that are most interesting. It looks like you're potentially "conflicting" with other wifi networks using C6, C10 & C11 (though those AP's signals are pretty weak.) C1 seems to offer the least competition.

Try tuning your router (everitt?) to C1 and see if that makes any difference. If it works, great, if it doesn't then at least it's cost you nothing to try.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom