Can I get Atmos through headphones from my receiver (Sony STRDH790)

xanadareous

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Sony STRDH790 which supports Atmos.

I’d like Atmos through headphones. My mate has it on his using his Xbox which are connected via Bluetooth.

I’ve read Atmos won’t go through aux output is that correct?

So is there any way to get Atmos to a headset from the STRDH790? I don’t think it supports output via Bluetooth just input. I normally use the aux output for wired headphones.

Thanks

Most, if not all receivers, will only have Atmos capabilities through the speakers. Zones are normally stereo, as are the headphone jacks. The auxillary output is stereo.

So is the only way to listen to Atmos in headphones is to use an Xbox or even PC I assume?

Yes as it's software driven.

Atmos cannot be portrayed via headphones in the manner you'd be intended to hear it. It needs additional physical speakers present relative to the listener in order to create the effects associated with it.

Dolby have however developed some additional processing that can be applied to the audio in order to try create the effect of Atmos via headphones:

Dolby Atmos games for Xbox and Windows sound great, no question. You've got your console hooked up to your Dolby Atmos sound system, and you're in the game, right in the middle of the action.

However, when you want to chat with other players or when a sound system is just too much, there is another solution, Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

Dolby Atmos for Headphones allows you to experience Dolby Atmos (for Xbox and Windows 10) through any set of headphones. ANY set of headphones, so no need to replace your favorites.

How do you get the sound of more than 2 speakers out of headphones? Dolby Atmos uses the audio object metadata to correctly position the audio anywhere within a full 360-degree space. Previously audio was limited to speaker positions in the horizontal plane.

Try out Dolby Atmos for free by downloading the Dolby Access app from the Xbox Box One or Windows 10 Store. If you're a game studio and would like to enable Dolby Atmos for Headphones for your team, let us know.

You'd only be able to facilitate this using an XBox or a Windows PC though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom