Question Can I stand AV Receiver on its side/edge?

eddiem74

Established Member
Reaction score
So I got some alcove cabinets built in and my AV receiver (Denon 3100W) fits perfectly sitting flat without any cables plugged in the rear. When I add cables in order to close the door the cables are pressed as tight as you want them to be against the back panel. So it does work I am just not that comfortable with it.

Is there any issue or risk if I was to stand the receiver on its side/edge as this will give me the room needed? I know the casing is ventilated on the top and sides but can it be done.

The alternative option is cutting some of the back out of the cabinet into the small void left behind it to gain a few mm but as everything is in place now, would like to avoid that.

It's not recommended as the heatsink is in place to disperse the hot air out the top directly above it and missing all the electronics, if it's set on its side the heat will flow upwards and come in contact with all electronics that side of the heatsink, this could result in failure or a possible fire.

Adam.

As above it would not be recommended. The better option would be to cut the back out. This would also help with ventilation as well which can only be a good thing.

Also, some of the heavier internal components in an amp will be surface mounted so they are upright.

If you turn the amp on its side I would expect the load on the mounting points over time to spell bad news.

Definitely not recommended.

Thanks guys, I had trial fitted some cables so know its tight, will see how it is with everything connected, there is a vent already installed at the top of the cabinet to release heat.

ef51b84965d63a3a9dd6ac759758ca47.jpg

If it's possible, how about converting that door to a slit type with vents? Otherwise it will be pretty warm in there...
I took out one door before, and replaced the centre of it with mesh.. or better yet, remove that door :)

If it's possible, how about converting that door to a slit type with vents? Otherwise it will be pretty warm in there...
I took out one door before, and replaced the centre of it with mesh.. or better yet, remove that door :)
There is a vent at the back near the top, also there is 2 grooves cut down on both sides to pass cables through to the cabinets on either side which also have vents. Will monitor how it goes and add ventilation as needed, ideally not via the door though. [emoji106]

any reason you can't put a few elbow adapters into the amp for the cables to give more room at the back?

any reason you can't put a few elbow adapters into the amp for the cables to give more room at the back?
Didn't have any to hand and all cables even power would have needed it.

Out with the drill and jigsaw today to a portion of the back of the cabinet, all sorted now although snugly but good enough.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom