Can my old system be made smart?

greek

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have an old av receiver without a usb port and a panasonic PT-AE8000U projector. I have internet access and I access netflix through my samsung DVD player. I'm trying to reach Disney Plus. I have a roku 3 which allows me to connect directly to the internet and reach Disney Plus. However it bypasses the receiver and while I get video there is no sound. Do I just need a newer dvd which would allow me to add the disney plus app? Or do I just need a new av receiver? I guess my question is, can I make my system smart? Any advice would be appreciated.

Jim Kovakas

I have a 13 yr old receiver and simply plug my Amazon fire stick in one of the HDMI ports and hey presto...... Netflix, Amazon prime and YouTube all going to the projector via HDMI out with sound coming from the receiver.

Mr.Nismo, Thanks but my av receiver dose not have any hdmi ports. Any recommendations for a new receiver?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
If you have a Roku, you really need to replace the av receiver so you can access the HDMI features to turn amp into a smart amp. What are you currently using so a similar powered model can be suggested :)

One thing to note, If you have both the projector and TV in the same room, then look at an av receiver with twin HDMI outs. This will allow you to view the roku box on both devices without having to unplug. As the neither the Roku or projector supports 4K, then an Onkyo NR616 will be fine as it included twin HDMI outputs.

Could I ask what surround sound system you are using to? If you're DVD player makes up the surround sound system to, then you will also have to look at speakers as you will usually find that speakers from these one-box solutions are specifically designed to work with nothing else. So you'll also have to look at separate speakers to

As others suggest you have a couple (or three) options.

A. Replace the AVR

B. Replace the Network Media Player (to a device with digital audio out)

C. Add an HDMI Switch with Digital audio Out.

Which AVR do you have?

Joe

Thanks for all the responses. I have purchased another avr (Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303). It will allow me to use Roku.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom