Answered Can the Humax FVP5000T control TV volume?

Deleted member 176685

Reaction score
I've just hooked a Humax FVP5000T freeview box up to my LG B7V and set the Humax remote control to also control the TV. The humax remote has 'TV Power' and 'TV AV' buttons, which work correctly. However, the humax remote only has one volume control and that only controls the Humax volume. I assume this is normal, despite the manual implying that it controls the TV volume?

I've just hooked a Humax FVP5000T freeview box up to my LG B7V and set the Humax remote control to also control the TV. The humax remote has 'TV Power' and 'TV AV' buttons, which work correctly. However, the humax remote only has one volume control and that only controls the Humax volume. I assume this is normal, despite the manual implying that it controls the TV volume?

The volume control on the Humax only works with SD channels so will have no effect while viewing HD channels. If you go into settings and change the HDMI out digital audio out to stereo. It will work for all channels as it recodes the audio to MP2, but the default level is likely to be too low. Set the volume level to a normal level using the TV remote while watching a HD channel. Switch to a SD channel and adjust the level to similar. That way you should get a similar level on both HD and SD channels.

Thanks for the reply. I'm used to using the Sky Q remote to control my TV sound when I'm playing on the PS4, but the humax isn't capable of that because it only controls the humax volume.
I will just have to use the TV remote for volume when using the PS4.

Hi. Sorry to resurrect this but thought it preferable to creating a new post...

I’ve just set up my new 5000t and assumed that, like my LG TV remote, it’s volume controls would affect the TV or AVR’s own volume directly via HDMI-CEC but it doesn’t.

As said previously, the control change only what the Humax outputs. This seems like a massive oversight to me. Sky remotes do it, all tv brands do it but seemingly not the Humax remote.

Is there any way to get the remote to work like I believe it should?

Thanks.

Hi. Sorry to resurrect this but thought it preferable to creating a new post...

I’ve just set up my new 5000t and assumed that, like my LG TV remote, it’s volume controls would affect the TV or AVR’s own volume directly via HDMI-CEC but it doesn’t.

As said previously, the control change only what the Humax outputs. This seems like a massive oversight to me. Sky remotes do it, all tv brands do it but seemingly not the Humax remote.

Is there any way to get the remote to work like I believe it should?

Thanks.

The 5000T has a button that switches control from the set top box to the TV. AV switches the control to control the TV rather than the box.

The manual includes the setup codes for various TV's and how to do it. This allows you to use a box connected to a AV receiver to use the superior audio available on HD channels. If you are using a thin flat screen TV then you need to convert the audio output as follows.

The problem is not down to Humax rather the way your TV handles Dolby Digital Audio as found on HD channels.

Assuming you are using a TV you need to use the box remote to convert all channels to output the same audio as output by SD channels (mpeg 1 layer 2-(mp2)), this allows the remote to control the volume for all channels though you might have to. --

1 turn down the TV Volume first using it's remote. The default is very quiet so to avoid deafening levels first do this.

2 Change the HDMI digital Audio out from surround (Dolby Digital) to stereo (mp2). This produces the same audio from all channels. For technical reasons it's not possible to alter alter the volume level of Dolby Digital at source (only the SD channels).

Press the Freeview-Play Button and move to settings and press OK. With General Settings Highlighted press right and down 3 times to audio. Press OK. Press Down once to HDMI. Press right. Press up to select Stereo and press OK

3 When tuned to a SD channel adjust the volume level to a normal level using the Humax remote volume level. The default is 50% you are likely to need it be a lot higher.

4 Tune to a HD channel and confirm volume is similar

Thanks for your very thorough response, it’s appreciated.

I am, however, aware of what you’ve advised, but it still doesn’t explain why Humax have designed it to work like it does, rather than how the Sky remotes work for example. I guess we may never know.

As it happens, I’m taking it back for a refund: it has completely messed up arc and volume for other devices whilst it’s connected to my AVR, and it decides to turn itself on randomly too. Not impressed.

Thanks again though :thumbsup:

As it happens, I’m taking it back for a refund: it has completely messed up arc and volume for other devices whilst it’s connected to my AVR, and it decides to turn itself on randomly too. Not impressed.

For a few months when I first had my 5000T, it was running alongside a Topfield TF5800 box. I found that often when I pressed remote buttons on the Toppy the 5000T would suddenly come to life, rarely the same button though. Never got to the bottom of it, then the Toppy failed so that was an end to it.

Thanks for your very thorough response, it’s appreciated.

I am, however, aware of what you’ve advised, but it still doesn’t explain why Humax have designed it to work like it does, rather than how the Sky remotes work for example. I guess we may never know.

The way the audio is handled on Humax boxes is different to a Sky box. The Sky remote has volume punch through that controls the TV volume not the box. The Humax remote doesn't have punch through but instead has a button to switch control to a a different device like a TV.

While in the box control mode the volume control changes the volume output level of the box. But this will only work when viewing a SD channel. Because SD Channels use mpeg 1 layer 2 audio this can be varies at source. HD satellite channels use Dolby Digital audio Freeview- HD AAC audio which the box recodes to Dolby Digital on the Digital audio outputs. . The volume level is hard coded into the data in Dolby Digital stream so the volume can only be altered after the dolby digital data is decoded (in your case by your TV or soundbar). The box though has a setting to output all channels using mpeg 1 layer 2. This is for TV's that cannot decode dolby digital audio.

A Logitech Harmony remote is the best option as you can programme the remote to vary the TV volume rather than the box volume which is the same as your Sky remote.

Thanks again for the replies chaps. And yep, if I was keeping it, I would have gone for a Harmony remote of some sort.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom