Question Can VM stop you watching freeview channels if you have not paid your bill?

Stagshead

Standard Member
Reaction score
My daughter is prioritising and has not paid this months VM bill. She now cannot even watch the freeview channels. Is that right? We have given her a sky box to get freeview, but is that right? I suspect that it maybe as VM is cable and they own the box, just looking for confirmation.

Do the freeview channels come over the line she has not paid for?

If so, sounds fair to me.

My daughter is prioritising and has not paid this months VM bill. She now cannot even watch the freeview channels. Is that right? We have given her a sky box to get freeview, but is that right? I suspect that it maybe as VM is cable and they own the box, just looking for confirmation.
If Virgin Media switch a customer off because they have not kept up their payments there is no reason why any channels would be available. How can a Sky box get Freeview? If it's connected to a dish then you may get Freesat from Sky. Virgin media is a closed cable system and has no connection with Freeview independently. For that you need a terrestial aerial.

If you want Freeview then buy a Freeview box. Virgin Media are not obliged to supply anyone with channels that are otherwise available for free via the Freeview or Freesat services. These services have nothing to do with either Virgin Media or SKY. You can get either a Freeview box that uses a terrestrial aerial or Freesat which needs a satellite dish.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/help/get-freesat/compare/freesat-freeview

How does Freesat differ from Freesat from Sky?

Despite the similar names, Freesat and Freesat From Sky are two different services. Freesat is the UK's subscription free satellite service, we bring over 200 TV & radio channels, including 11 HD channels, to our viewers via Satellite to a dedicated set top box or TV with Freesat built in. We don't have any subscriptions or charges for access to pause, rewind or record functionality or On Demand services.

Freesat from Sky is a service operated by BSkyB that offers access to free to air satellite TV and radio channels via a Sky box. If you have a question about this service or using a Sky box to receive satellite TV channels, please call 08442 410 595.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/help/get-freesat/compare/freesat-sky

What is Freeview?

Freeview is a Digital TV service that allows you to watch over 40 TV channels via your TV aerial. No dish required, no subscription, no ties, no contracts, and no installation costs. Just buy a set-top box for free access to the Freeview channel lineup

Freeview - The Free UK Digital TV Service

Last edited:
In the old days you could plug a regular television straight into the diamond cable outlet (f-type connector to belling lee) and get regular analogue channels, usually with a few extras you normally wouldn't receive over terrestrial antenna. Those days have ended. I don't believe they supply any unencrypted content as it's all streamed via broadband.

In the old days you could plug a regular television straight into the diamond cable outlet (f-type connector to belling lee) and get regular analogue channels, usually with a few extras you normally wouldn't receive over terrestrial antenna. Those days have ended. I don't believe they supply any unencrypted content as it's all streamed via broadband.

Wrong. It is not streamed via broadband, it comes over the cable in DVB-C format.

A TV with a DVB-C decoder should find the 4 main channels. This works in London.

You will not get any channels per say if someone has been to the Street Cabinet and disconnected the feed, No live feed No channels at all including free ones On cable

You will not get any channels per say if someone has been to the street cabinet and disconnected the feed, no live feed no channels at all including free ones on cable

Well that is pretty obvious, but it is very rare that the feed is disconnected.

Not necessarily, if a cab has issues dead feeds or non subscribers are disconnected in the cab as they can cause noise on the network if not connected to any equipment

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom