Cancelled Sky Q can I split cable to 2 TV's?

valleyboy44

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Sorry if the following sounds stupid...

We have cancelled our Sky Q to save a bit of cash.

I want to use the LG TV in the lounge which has built in freesat & the Hisesne TV in the bedroom which has freesat ( it's directly above the lounge TV)

The sky dish is standard and has a dual LNB it is at the back of the house and the cable runs around and down to the lounge TV.

Am I correct in saying I can pull the two coaxial cables apart and stick one end in either TV?

Also does anybody know the best satellite to get all the freesat channels. I did try on the LG TV but all I got was a load of qvc and weird foreign channels

Thanks in advance

If you don't have a hybrid LNB fitted to your existing dish then you may struggle to receive freesat channels.when you get a hybrid LNB fitted then you should receive all the current freesat channels available.if you want to add recording facilities then you will need another three cable runs to be able to record via a freesat recorder...another way is to use the smart features on you LG tv,as you can get all the catch up tv services and watch things when you want.

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

So on layman's terms lol

The existing LNB is sort of 'sky specific'?

Is it a simply case of purchasing and fitting one of these?
LNB

I'm not really bothered about recording, I've used himax boxes in the past and they've never lived up to their expectation and reading latest module reviews they seem to still be freezing.

I may get the local TV cable guy to do it.

Just one last one if I may.

I noticed on the LG TV you could change the satellites etc does this need to be done?

Thanks for tips on smart feature of tv

Cheers

OP does not need a Hybrid as he is ditching SkyQ and wants to connect each of the existing two feeders to different sat enabled TVS.
@valleyboy44 . Your plan will work, you just need to change the LNB from the Sky one to a 'standard' quad sky LNB whic are cheap as chips and a piece of pi$$ to change. No need for an aerial fitter as long as you can safely and easily access the dish.
Your dish is already pointing at the correct satellite group for UK transmissions.
Once you have done that, come back if you have any problems tuning the sets.

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

So on layman's terms lol

The existing LNB is sort of 'sky specific'?

Is it a simply case of purchasing and fitting one of these?
LNB

I'm not really bothered about recording, I've used himax boxes in the past and they've never lived up to their expectation and reading latest module reviews they seem to still be freezing.

I may get the local TV cable guy to do it.

Just one last one if I may.

I noticed on the LG TV you could change the satellites etc does this need to be done?

Thanks for tips on smart feature of tv

Cheers

That lnb will not fit a Sky dish as the collar size is wrong.

You need one of these.

If the dish is accessible it's a simple diy swap. Be careful to not move the dish.

The dish points at 28.2 E so that's the only satellite group you can use. If the TV has a freesat tuner it will tune from 28.2E automatically.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Cheers all, top advice.

The sat dish is easily reached.

Not sounding dull I take it, it's just a few bolts, pull off, stick new one on. Unclip existing cable (assume don't need to change those) reconnect?

Will order that now.

Cheers again

Nope, no bolts. It's a lot easier than that. It's a plastic pin that just pushes through the boom when you have slid the bracket on.

But otherwise, just disconnect the cables, do the swap than reconnect the cables using some silicon grease to waterproof them and pull down the weather shield (if there is one).
The only thing of note is tho be very careful that you don't miss-align the dish by rough handling.

Be sure to tell us the eventual outcome please. :)

Will do, the wife wants to use sky q up to the last day even with me telling her let me do it now so you get used too it!

First thing she'll say is "I can't record' but I'm going to wait to see what the new freesat arris bos is like

Hi all,

Finally had a break in the weather, changed sky q LNB to a hybrid.

It scanned and found over 200 channels, 34 pages of epg.

Couple of questions.

1- the epg does not fully populate, shows channel and icons but not programme details.

2- the channels are all over the shop, can I arrange it so bbc1 first, then bbc2 etc, HD channels first etc

3- how do i set it to my postcode so I get local news/weather etc

Cheers

Ps I'm using a 3 year old LG smart TV with webos

OK, I've been lazy I can filter so only HD channels and it looks like I'll have to manually move the channels about so bbc1 Wales is at the top etc...

I take it manually is the only option?

Wow the LG EPG is shocking, I think I'll save up and get a new dedicated freesat box.

Thanks everyone for the valued help.

Cheers

Obviously the LG has a 'general purpose' sat 'tuner', not one with Freesat processing. Later LG sets are Freesat certified. Unless of course you have a Freesat set, but have not done a Freesat scan (Thinks, why would the set need a postcode if it was not Freesat?).
I put the word 'tuner' in parenthesis as it's not really the tuner that is Freesat, but 'Freesat Tuner' is generally used as euphemism for a set that displays a Freesat EPG.
Why don't you tell 'us' the TV model number so that checks can be done?

As I suspected, THIS LINK indicates that your TV is not Freesat certified. The second letter of the model number as in UFxxx is the year code.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom