Captain Marvel 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Well I decided to just get the Blu-ray version - and I watched that tonight. I enjoyed the movie after the initial 'confusing' setup (intended I guess) Was fairly predictable in terms of betrayal but would give it an 8/10

As others have said - lots of dark footage and so happy with getting the Blu-ray version (and TV upscaling that) £15 well spent - whereas £25 for an UHD version might have been a poorer deal.

Last edited:
Waiting until this pops up in the 2 for £15 deals. Enjoyed it a lot but was never a day one effort for me.

Just curious who would you have put in the role & why would they have been not miscast or even better if you like ...?

I would have picked Blake Lively, Emily Blunt, and Rebecca Fergusson ahead of Brie. The former just looks the part, and all three have convinced in physical or action roles.

I think Ms Larson was possibly miscast as she doesn't seem to fully inhabit the character as naturally as say, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson or RDJ embodied theirs. I dont get the impression she's that interested in the 'world' of Marvel.

That said, we've got her now and she does a fairly good job. Looking forward to seeing this again in 3d.

It recieved positive reviews from critics upon release. The negative ( fake ) backlash was aimed at Brie before the film was even released by trolls that hate a female to have a voice on something .

Said literally no-one, ever.

I would have picked Blake Lively, Emily Blunt, and Rebecca Fergusson ahead of Brie. The former just looks the part, and all three have convinced in physical or action roles.

I think Ms Larson was possibly miscast as she doesn't seem to fully inhabit the character as naturally as say, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson or RDJ embodied theirs. I dont get the impression she's that interested in the 'world' of Marvel.
Am not sure agree on this as this lady training for 9 months, even went as far as to to check out a pilot's behaviour (with real pilots) so they would be portrayed as realistically on screen as possible & lets face it those moments were relatively small on screen that's dedication for you + Stan the man was behind her 110% & he obviously knew much more about his characters than most so no i have to say that i think your wrong.

As to how much she has invested in the future of this character that really must come down to her contractual obligations that marvel have signed her up for, personally i thought she did a stellar job & i am TBH not even that much of a marvel fan or even a superhuman.

Also all the actors you mentioned above have been given time to grow into their respective roles Brie has had one movie (i haven't seen Endgame yet so this view may change) so lets see how she develops the character over time, all this miscast businesses really misses the point for me as she's a sound actor.

Emily Bunt i really don't think so as much as i enjoy her as an actor she is also a tad on the older side (36) for the role.

Blake Lively well she was just great in Green Lantern wasn't she aka she was no Star Sapphire in my eyes but i get where your coming from as fermaintly is something she has in spades.

Rebecca Ferguson also no offence but she is also to old for the role (35) as after all she is playing Lady Jessica in Dune (Paul's Mother).

I think the trouble is some men just don't find Brie attractive or feminine enough for the part but personally as i said she i thought she was excellent in the role as we certainly didn't hear all this moaning about her "actor" abilities in Kong did we?

As to the trolling well actually yes there was loads
Did Brie Larson Say Captain Marvel 'Wasn't Made For' White Men?

^
Just to mention that Carol Danvers/Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel isn’t a Stan Lee created character :)

Damn this cannot delete a post when you get it wrong markey :D

Last edited:
^
Just to mention that Carol Danvers/Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel isn’t a Stan Lee created character :)
Yes yes we know but that's not point is it .... my point was Stan was happy with the casting.

Creators of Carol Danvers were Roy Thomas,/ Gene Colan (infamous for Howard the Duck)

Well that’s neither here nor there as he’s not really involved in the movies other than his cameos, & as she isn’t one of his characters his opinion on her casting is no more/less important than any one else’s (other than those directly involved with making MCU films).

Not to say I have any issue with her casting, just that I think you’re overselling Stan Lee’s involvement in the MCU films.

Well that’s neither here nor there as he’s not really involved in the movies other than his cameos, & as she isn’t one of his characters his opinion on her casting is no more/less important than any one else’s (other than those directly involved with making MCU films).

Not to say I have any issue with her casting, just that I think you’re overselling Stan Lee’s involvement in the MCU films.
Fair point Sir didn't think i was overselling it but as ever your views are sound as a pound ;)

If i was apologies just trying to make a small "cameo" point :D

Am not sure agree on this as this lady training for 9 months, even went as far as to to check out a pilot's behaviour (with real pilots) so they would be portrayed as realistically on screen as possible & lets face it those moments were relatively small on screen that's dedication for you + Stan the man was behind her 110% & he obviously knew much more about his characters than most so no i have to say that i think your wrong.

Agreed not saying she didn't commit to the role. Its her job, and most actors engage in intensive training. All I meant is I didn't feel like she fully inhabited the character. I didn't see Carol danvers on screen, I saw Brie larson. Just how I felt.

Also all the actors you mentioned above have been given time to grow into their respective roles Brie has had one movie (i haven't seen Endgame yet so this view may change) so lets see how she develops the character over time, all this miscast businesses really misses the point for me as she's a sound actor.

All the actors I mentioned nailed their characters in their first films (hell, their first scenes even). That's why I cited those examples.

But yes, I hope Larson grows into the role. I'm not dead set against her as you appear to think; she may surprise me as time goes on. Hope she does.

Emily Bunt i really don't think so as much as i enjoy her as an actor she is also a tad on the older side (36) for the role.

Blake Lively well she was just great in Green Lantern wasn't she aka she was no Star Sapphire in my eyes but i get where your coming from as fermaintly is something she has in spades.

Rebecca Ferguson also no offence but she is also to old for the role (35) as after all she is playing Lady Jessica in Dune (Paul's Mother).

I'm not saying they should have used those actresses (obviously people aren't always available or the right age). Just that they would have sprung to mind (for me) as being a good fit for Danvers long before Brie Larson occured to me. Blake Lively in particular, as when I see this, I can literally see Lively in the uniform.
DIG017898_3._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I think the trouble is some men just don't find Brie attractive or feminine enough for the part but personally as i said she i thought she was excellent in the role as we certainly didn't hear all this moaning about her "actor" abilities in Kong did we?

Who's 'moaning'? I just said I dont think she was especially well cast. For the record I do think she's physically attractive (especially in Kong). Its more to do with her attitude and demeanor I think. I've seen her in interviews and press conferences and I dont think she comes across as being especially 'into it', or approachable.

As to the trolling well actually yes there was loads
Did Brie Larson Say Captain Marvel 'Wasn't Made For' White Men?

Mate I've seen ALL the controversy surrounding the actor including the incident you mention, and she attracted a lot of criticism (for her comments there, as well as other things). Some of the criticism went overboard to the point of (to use your phrase) 'trolling'. But nobody was trolling her because they dont like 'women having opinions'. Thats a silly strawman. She was trolled because people didn't like her comments or her attitudes. Watch the clips of her 'white dude' remarks. She's unbearably self righteous, agenda driven, and clearly does have a problem, despite her being forced (through gritted teeth) to say the opposite.

All that said, I'm over it anyway. We've got her now, and to her credit she was ok in her own movie and was well handled in Endgame. I simply dont see her becoming a beloved character in the same way as Iron Man, Cap, Widow, Thor (and in my case, Gamora :love:). Hopefully, I'll be proved wrong in her next outing.

Agreed not saying she didn't commit to the role. Its her job, and most actors engage in intensive training. All I meant is I didn't feel like she fully inhabited the character. I didn't see Carol danvers on screen, I saw Brie larson. Just how I felt.
That's a good point. The only time I saw Cap Marvel in the comics was as part of the Avengers so I never go to know Carol Danvers. So for me Brie is the MCU Cap Marvel because I don't have anything to compare her to. Same goes for the MCU Tony Stark.

That's a good point. The only time I saw Cap Marvel in the comics was as part of the Avengers so I never go to know Carol Danvers. So for me Brie is the MCU Cap Marvel because I don't have anything to compare her to. Same goes for the MCU Tony Stark.

There is also something about her, can't put my finger on it, might be something to do with her 'valley girl' accent and mannerisms that to me feel like they belong more in a high school teen drama rather than an intergalactic space opera. I don't get an aura of mystery from her- not the kind I get with Wonder Woman, Alita, Black Widow, Gamora or Wanda. She's not bringing any otherworldly qualities to the role.

Watch the clips of her 'white dude' remarks. She's unbearably self righteous, agenda driven, and clearly does have a problem, despite her being forced (through gritted teeth) to say the opposite.
opefully, I'll be proved wrong in her next outing.

I have seen the clips about A Wrinkle in Time no big deal for me & all in fairness some of your points i might agree with besides the doctor lucasisking forum diagnosis...:D

As you say let's see where it all goes who knows you maybe right & i maybe wrong only time & few movies will tell & btw thanks for the reply :)

I have seen the clips about A Wrinkle in Time no big deal for me & all in fairness some of your points i might agree with besides the doctor lucasisking forum diagnosis...:D

I won't charge for the initial session. Normal rates apply next time :laugh:

^
Stan Lee was the writer of the first Captain Marvel story although this was Mar-Vell, Later on said Captain Marvel/Mar-Vell shielded Carol Danvers from an explosion which merged some of his Kree DNA plus the radiation from the explosion with Carol Danvers which gaver Ms Marvel powers. I believe it was Roy Thomas and Gill Kane writing on that issue.
the first Ms Marvel comic also not wrote by Stan the Man info Ms. Marvel Vol 1 1

Stan Lee was the writer of the first Captain Marvel story although this was Mar-Vell, Later on said Captain Marvel/Mar-Vell shielded Carol Danvers from an explosion which merged some of his Kree DNA plus the radiation from the explosion with Carol Danvers which gaver Ms Marvel powers. I believe it was Roy Thomas and Gill Kane writing on that issue.
the first Ms Marvel comic also not wrote by Stan the Man info Ms. Marvel Vol 1 1
It was that powerful it even merged the words gave and her:laugh:

I really liked this movie I thought Brie Larson was very funny the way she played CM ... dry and deadpan the indignant sassy looks she was throwing had me in stitches. I came into the film with no prior knowledge of any political comments she has made neither am I an ardent follower of the Marvel universe I just took what I heard and saw on it’s own merit and really enjoyed it. SLJ was also great and very relatable to me fussing over the cat lol ... the aliens were very hammy and funny too with the different accents and dodgy makeup which added to the overall B movie effect. I could watch another 3 or 4 movies in the same vein as this it’s 8 out of 10 here ... oh and I forgot to mention, great track selection.. like the rest of the movie, female orientated but in the context of everything else going on it worked like a charm.

Last edited:
We finally got to watch this last night - though the Blu Ray copy as our rental company that normally is great with 4K only had that format, & iTunes also of course does not have the 4K.
Our overall view was that it was good fun with some cool CGI, de-aging, & excellent location set dressing (I really felt like I was back in the States in the '90's). But the storyline regarding Captain Marvel's past, though on paper totally good, to me was played out sloppily.
Ben Mendelsohn was great. SLJ & Clark Gregg nailed their parts as always.
Brie Larson, though? To me, too smug, & whenever she did show another side it felt "Vulnerable, vulnerable, vulnerable, click, ok enough of that, back to being smug". Even the Comic bits with SLJ always felt like she was laughing at a joke the Boss just made.
The Cat was fabulous, & I liked all the tie-up bits in the Movie
Especially how Fury lost his eye to trusting someone
So, an enjoyable watch, & a good filler-in between IW & Endgame, but not a keeper for us.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom