Captain Marvel (8 March 2019)

Did the Captain Marvel?

• Total voters
Happened to speak to friend I’d not seen for a couple of years the other day and when he asked ‘how are you’ I immediately thought of Captain Marvel - fatter, balder, tireder.

Last edited:
Thanks Sky, 2 hours of my life I'll never get back. Should have kept my word to stop at Infinity Wars.

Captain Marvel wasn't the best Marvel film (average really) I do think they failed in casting the lead actress, there are so many more better suited actresses. However for better or worse we are stuck with her now, maybe they could use her like the Hulk. This would free up a scheduled slot in the Marvel plan which could be used as a team up movie (eg Defenders with the original members Hulk, Dr Strange and Namor plus anyone else they want to add.)

I Watched this again yesterday for the first time since I went to see it in the cinema. Definitely not the best Marvel movie by some way but I still think it is better than Iron Man 2 and Thor: The Dark World.

I also still do not get the angst against Brie Larsson, she does a decent job in this and is fine for the role IMO.

I would stick with my previous 7/10.

I also still do not get the angst against Brie Larsson, she does a decent job in this and is fine for the role IMO.
sad incels

I Watched this again yesterday for the first time since I went to see it in the cinema. Definitely not the best Marvel movie by some way but I still think it is better than Iron Man 2 and Thor: The Dark World.

I think she's miscast and not especially likeable on or off screen. I also don't think she's convincing as the galaxy's most powerful entity; she plays the role like an antsy cheerleader after a break up. Still think Blake Lively would have been a stronger choice.

Don't get me wrong, I like the film and she does a good enough job but its easy to see why she's not a fan favourite. To me anyway.

I also watched the film again the other day, still think it's extremely entertaining, if abrasively feminist. The 3d IMAX scenes are the mutts nuts on blu ray. 7/10 for me still as well. Wish the space battle was longer.

It was nothing special.

Compare with Wonder Woman which had more character development.

not especially likeable on or off screen
I've watched those videos on YouTube of her press junkets with veteran MCU cast and the ridiculous clickbaity comments over her stares, her remarks, her colleagues hating her, etc, when it's no different than the 'bants' we're used to from all MCU cast chats. Especially Cheadle, he's like that with everyone.

I would stick with my previous 7/10.
...only thing that jarred for me was that she cannot run......in the very short scenes you see her run before the cut, she physically doesn't look like a superhero running. Even my wife picked up on that

I've watched those videos on YouTube of her press junkets with veteran MCU cast and the ridiculous clickbaity comments over her stares, her remarks, her colleagues hating her, etc, when it's no different than the 'bants' we're used to from all MCU cast chats. Especially Cheadle, he's like that with everyone.

Not going by that, it's just something about her manner and demeanour. Also her entire body language during that cringey speech came over as acerbic and condescending. At the end of the day, why does anyone dislike someone? People speak as they find and I just don't think she's many people's cup of tea. Perhaps she's way nicer when you know her personally.

I did enjoy her in CM and Avengers though, but I don't think she fully inhabits the superhero role as fully as, say, Scarlett, Downer Jr or Evans (or Gal Gadot for that matter). I get the feeling the character just suited her personal agenda.

Also she seems incredibly unemotional, despite all the movie dialogue to the contrary.

...only thing that jarred for me was that she cannot run......in the very short scenes you see her run before the cut, she physically doesn't look like a superhero running. Even my wife picked up on that

Didn't especially notice that. I was actually pretty impressed with Brie's physicality. She looked really fit especially during the sparring scenes with Jude Law, and she looks fabulous in her costume. Credit where it's due.

I think I gave it a 7/10 at the time too. Watched it not so long back for my MCU re-watch, and I did enjoy it the second time around.

I've no problem with Larson, and it's clear to me they were hooking into the whole 80's Top Gun vibe with how her character behaved. Cocky, brash, questioning authority etc.

If Maverick had been a woman....

rewatched thi last night - and really enjoyed it again!! - i actually like Brie as CM - she is quite standoffice, dry, abrupt type who i can certainly agree with - plus she looks very good :)

Reading some of the comments on this page, I feel I might be in the minority for quite liking this! While I saw some of the first Marvel movies, I lost track and I'm now catching up on them via Disney+

Watched this last week and really enjoyed it! I thought it was a really good movie - although I'm also worried that I went in with low expectations so maybe it's the comparison to that than a proper objective review!

Watched a stack of Marvel this week & this was the best one of the lot in my opinion.
Great bonus content, which convinced me to purchase. Managed to get UV code for only $4.70 USD.

I just knew the cat was going to save the day at some point, but the eye-patch origin was a funny surprise.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom