Car light tints and insurance

Splod

Novice Member
Reaction score
I bought some light tints for my 1.2L Polo and really want to put them on, but if I do and don't tell insurance is that a bad idea? I'm worried that the premium will rise by a silly amount if I do tell them.

Strictly speaking it’s a modification. Saying that, I never actually done that for legal tints. Done it plenty of times for performance modifications and that was literally just a few pounds more per year. So I wouldn’t worry too much about it, and just contact your insurance company to check it with them.

Strictly speaking it’s a modification. Saying that, I never actually done that for legal tints. Done it plenty of times for performance modifications and that was literally just a few pounds more per year. So I wouldn’t worry too much about it, and just contact your insurance company to check it with them.
Alright will do thanks for the quick response.

I bought some light tints for my 1.2L Polo and really want to put them on, but if I do and don't tell insurance is that a bad idea? I'm worried that the premium will rise by a silly amount if I do tell them.

Yes. You are modifying the car and changing the design and was is legal to illegal, good luck, if you ever have an accident, they will throw the book at you having NO insurance, as if remapping etc

I assume you have not ASKED the Police or insurance company, why?

So, you can spend money on changing the car but complain that the insurance will go up................... DUH!

KNOW THIS, one assumes you have a search engine such as GOOGLE, "is fitting a towbar classed as a modification to a car insurance" etc...

DO I NEED TO LET MY INSURANCE COMPANY KNOW IF I HAVE A TOWBAR FITTED?

Yes. A towbar counts as a modification to your vehicle in that it will differ from the manufacturer’s factory specification once fitted. Any modifications to your vehicle can affect your insurance policy, which means you will need to inform your company if you are planning on having a towbar so they can adjust your policy details accordingly.

And

Yes. You are modifying the car and changing the design and was is legal to illegal, good luck, if you ever have an accident, they will throw the book at you having NO insurance, as if remapping etc

I assume you have not ASKED the Police or insurance company, why?

So, you can spend money on changing the car but complain that the insurance will go up................... DUH!
The OP wasn’t talking about illegal tints at all. Doing a light tint on the windows doesn’t make the car illegal.

The OP wasn’t talking about illegal tints at all. Doing a light tint on the windows doesn’t make the car illegal.
I read it as tinting the rear or headlights, like you use to do back in the day. Not sure if this is by replacing the lights or use some kind of filter in the OPs situation.

I read it as tinting the rear or headlights, like you use to do back in the day. Not sure if this is by replacing the lights or use some kind of filter in the OPs situation.
Fair point you could read it like that as well.

Still doesn’t make it illegal though when following the rules 👍

I used to have tinted headlight covers on my ZZR1400. My thoughts were that they helped from a safety point of view with me being more noticeable to car drivers who did a "double take" to confirm what they were seeing. Anything that helped prevent them just pulling out on me was good in my book.
I got stopped a few times by the police but was never told to remove them. In fact, the ones that stopped me who also rode motorbikes asked me where I had bought them, as they were tempted to get some themselves.
Only time I ever got told to remove them was in France.

Many moons ago I used to buy tinted head light bulbs from Halfords... that classed as a mod?

If you‘re talking about tint on the back windows I’m sure if you just phoned the insurance to let them know what you’re thinking about it I can’t see the insurance changing at all.
If you’re tinting the front... good luck if you’re going dark.. if the police spot you they will pull you and want to check the amount of light coming through... if too dark it could end up being points on your license.....?? :facepalm:

Many moons ago I used to buy tinted head light bulbs from Halfords... that classed as a mod?

If you‘re talking about tint on the back windows I’m sure if you just phoned the insurance to let them know what you’re thinking about it I can’t see the insurance changing at all.
If you’re tinting the front... good luck if you’re going dark.. if the police spot you they will pull you and want to check the amount of light coming through... if too dark it could end up being points on your license.....?? :facepalm:

Only drug dealers go for the “murdered” look.

@Splod are we talking about subtle tints for your windows, or tints for your car lights?

I read it as lights.

Me too, but there seems to be some confusion.

What the headlight looks like, when off, is of no consequence.
Only when lit, if it looks or performs below specification, does it matter.

I don't get why you'd want to tint lights anyway. Unless the car has LED lights which burn the retina of any oncoming drivers, in which case, tint away :laugh:

I normally tend to leave headlights on in my car (no choice on the bike, they're on by default on most modern bikes). My rationale is this; if you turn your lights on, you're more visible to other road users.
Turning them off therefore makes you less visible and I can't think of a single situation where I want to be less visible to other road users...

You can't see how 'cool' your tint looks when you're sat in the driver's seat, so I'm not entirely certain who benefits from this particular mod? You - nope, less visibility, more of a plod magnet. Other road users? Nope. Pointless.

I was told anecdotally by a police officer teaching a bike safety course once about a guy that had a Suzuki GSXR1000 (that's a fast sportsbike for those not into bikes). The rider tinted his front light red.

The rider turned out of a junction and was struck at high speed by an oncoming vehicle. The driver of the HGV later told the police that he was driving along and saw a motorbike's rear lights (which should be red) . It was only after the guy on the bike hit his lorry at a closing speed of 120+ mph that he realised that the bike was coming towards him at very high speed, not away from him...It happened so quickly, he didn't even brake. There's more to the story than I can 100% recall tbh, but the main thrust of it is that the reports about confusing light colour were massively relevant to the cause of the crash.

So, by all means, tint your lights if it's what gives you pleasure, but please do consider why the lights on vehicles are coloured the way they are in the first place.

If it's indicators and sidelights we are talking about then tinting them grey can make them blend into the bodywork when they aren't in use, assuming the car is a dark colour. I assume this is why it's being done. If done properly this should have little effect on the lights when in use.

I don't get why you'd want to tint lights anyway. Unless the car has LED lights which burn the retina of any oncoming drivers, in which case, tint away :laugh:
You dont have LED light then.
Factory fitted LED headlights pose no problem at all for other drivers.
I thought this thread was about window tints though.....so maybe some clarification is required by the OP.

I think they got the answer they wanted in post #2 and aren't coming back...

My bad.. I didn’t read car light tints. Somehow missed the heading lol.. just ignore my post.
I’ll go hide under a rock now. :blush::facepalm:

Yes you need to declare any mods as its illegal and any claim could be invalid.

Not all mods will add to the premium.

Depending on the company, some will even reduce the premium, eg having a dash cam installed, adding an approved alarm and other safety additions/mods.

Yes you need to declare any mods as its illegal and any claim could be invalid.
Not all mods will add to the premium.
Depending on the company, some will even reduce the premium, eg having a dash cam installed,
A dash cam is not a "modification" though, and certainly not something that needs to be declared.
It is true that some companies will offer a small discount for having one fitted and working, but IMO you are better off not accepting this discount for the obvious reason.
You could most likely obtain a cheaper quote elsewhere without any discount.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom