Question CCTV or Nest?

StuBFrost

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi. I currently have a nest hello doorbell and a nest indoor camera and now want to put cameras outside my house. I think 3, maybe 4 cameras would be enough.
Would a dedicated cctv system be a better buy or would buying nest cameras be better? I have heard of hikvision which seems to have good reviews but what does the quality of image compare to a nest camera?
Nest would be the easier to fit as it just needs power but there is the ongoing subscription costs to be taken into account (I know that this is now cheaper with the new plans) plus I am wary of google maybe suddenly stop supporting them.
Thanks

Stu

Hikvision. No subscription and cameras are cheaper. I also don’t like having to pay for my own footage. Picture quality will be better too I’d imagine.

What is Hik PQ like compared to Nest?
It depends which Hik cameras you have. Hik CCTV is prosumer grade, Nest is domestic grade and tends to be lower resolution in general.

I’ve seen a couple of hikvision kits on amazon that say they have 5mp cameras. Is this good enough ?

Ye I’ve got a mixture of 2mp and 4mp. might Change the 2MP eventually but the quality is still very good.

Give you an idea. These are screen shots from the app.
22A8BCB1-10EE-434A-8809-6A092874AD97.png
252F74EB-0EEA-4455-B8EC-5941826256A0.png
6314936C-C900-4F73-A824-039585F6B6DF.png

I've never seen a camera from the likes of Nest, Ring, <insert consumer grade camera system> that looks anywhere near as good as even my first Hikvision camera from 5 years ago.

I've seen a lot of people complaining on the Nest Facebook groups about their new subscription plans as well. I had a Nest Hello and whilst I was really happy with the device, the subscription cost was really starting to bug me. Hikvision recently released a new version of their doorbell which works with my CCTV so I've installed that instead. It doesn't have some of the flashy features of the Hello but it's a helluva lot cheaper and the picture quality is excellent.

I've never seen a camera from the likes of Nest, Ring, <insert consumer grade camera system> that looks anywhere near as good as even my first Hikvision camera from 5 years ago.

I've seen a lot of people complaining on the Nest Facebook groups about their new subscription plans as well. I had a Nest Hello and whilst I was really happy with the device, the subscription cost was really starting to bug me. Hikvision recently released a new version of their doorbell which works with my CCTV so I've installed that instead. It doesn't have some of the flashy features of the Hello but it's a helluva lot cheaper and the picture quality is excellent.
Hi
With regards to the doorbell, do you need to have a port available on the nvr? I am considering a 4 port nvr with 4 cameras so would the doorbell work or would I need a 6/8 port?
i know it sounds a stupid question but I thought the doorbell is Wi-Fi so wasn’t sure.
Thanks

Your doorbell’s camera will take up a channel. If you have a 4 channel NVR and 4 cameras, it won’t work

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom