CEC HDMI Control on Yamaha RX-V1085.

pawlu

Novice Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has run into issues getting their Yamaha AVR to power up the TV automatically via CEC. TV is a LG 55UH6150 that has CEC enabled on its HDMI Ports. I have turned on CEC on the AVR HDMI Control settings. Currently only using HDMI 1 Out on the AVR (which is the only output that supports CEC) and this is going into HDMI 2 of my LG TV.

Page 159 of the AVR manual talks about the HDMI Control Link Setup but it seems like a sequence of turning things on and off which does not amount to anything.

Any Tips greats appreciated.

Thanks

LG TVs include a setting relating to standby syncronisation.In the CONNECTION configurations, navigate to the HDMI DEVICE SETTINGS. As well as the HDMI CEC stting, there should also be an AUTOPOWER SYNC option. Ensure that this is turned on.

If this fails to rectify the issue then be aware that HDMI CEC is flaky at the best of times and doesn't alwats work as expected with many devoces. I'd maybe suggest not using it the synce the standby status of your TV and AVR if having issues with it and looking at using such as one of LOgitech's Harmony remotes instead. These are far more versatile and less problematic, but expensive.

Hey Dante, thanks yes I do have the AutoPower Sync turned on, I also happen to have a Harmony Hub which I could probably setup if this fails.. and have it configured to power things on, just not sure if the harmony hub fires off signals via IR vs using Wifi , IR reach might be an issue.

The HUb emits IR signals and even has 2 addional output on it ti allow IR extenders to be connected if required.

Logitech_Harmony_smart_control_devices_03_small.jpg

Logitech_Harmony_smart_control_devices_02_small.jpg

Ensure you disable CEC on all devices if you plan to use the Harmony remote - which is often the ‘smart’ choice, as Dante says CEC can be very hit or miss.

Joe

The Hub will happily continue to function without issue even if HDMI Control is left engaged. I've a Yamaha RXA1050 connected to an LG C9 and use ARC to output audio from the TV to the AVR. ARC wouldn't function if HDMI CEC was disabled or disengaged. I've not experienced any issues with leaving HDMI CEC engaged while using either the Harmony remote or the Hub.

If wishing to exploit HDMI ARC then you'd need to leave HDMI CEC and HDMI Control turned on onboard both the TV and the AV receiver.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I will play around with the Hub 2night.. This is the last piece of the puzzle in my entertainment setup... but really enjoying the RXA1050..

dante01 - great that your system works with CEC enabled and always worth a try, others have a very different experience and duablijg CEC (which as you say will usually disable ARC) is often the only stable option.

pawlu - worth trying all options.

Joe

So I spent a few hours yesterday playing with the harmony hub, was quite happy with how it is turning out, the hub was able to work with the AVR Scene's and the IR blaster is working quite well. Just need to find tune it tonight. As for HDMI CEC, I was able to get some things to work but not fully, however combined with the Hub I think I am nearly there. I also came across this App which is similar to how Harmony Hub Works, just not sure if anybody has experience with it: iPhone and iPad Universal Remote Control for Home Theaters

I'd suggest that you'd simply be duplicating what you've already got in employing another third party remote control app. I'd also doubt that such an app will have the same level of customisation or ability to control as wide a range of devices as you'd get via the Harmony HUb control app?

You should only really need the Harmny.

Hi Dante, no was not planning on using it, it fact it was Yamaha's support that mentioned it to me and it looked interesting. I had submitted a support request on this case to Yamaha to see what they had to say, and they pretty much came to the same conclusion we did, that CEC is hit and miss as every vendor tends to mess with the standard and incorporate some of their own logic which results in cross platform issues. Yamaha has great support by the way, they follow up directly with a call, a rarity these days.

Roomie and similar 'apps' are only one component of a fully functioning control system and whilst some devices may be 'embedded' within the App many others will require third party hardware from the likes of Global Caché to integrate with IR, RS232 and Bluetooth enabled devices.

Joe

Just a question about using the HUB, I noticed that it supports communication using IR as well as Bluetooth, I discovered this as it paired with my Nvidia Shield Pro. Considering the AVR supports Bluetooth, is there any advantage over trying to get the hub to communicate to it via Bluetooth vs IR?

Nevermind, it appears that in the case of the AVR, bluetooth is only used for music playback and appears it cannot be used for Power and Control commands.

Just wondering if anybody has run into issues getting their Yamaha AVR to power up the TV automatically via CEC. TV is a LG 55UH6150 that has CEC enabled on its HDMI Ports. I have turned on CEC on the AVR HDMI Control settings. Currently only using HDMI 1 Out on the AVR (which is the only output that supports CEC) and this is going into HDMI 2 of my LG TV.

Page 159 of the AVR manual talks about the HDMI Control Link Setup but it seems like a sequence of turning things on and off which does not amount to anything.

Any Tips greats appreciated.

Thanks
Hi Guys, would appreciate some help.
Recently upgraded my TV to the LG e9....Would not communicate through the HDMI with my older (Anthem) AV unit. LG informed me that the eARC codex with not supported by Anthem....So off tto get a new box, Yamaha RX-V1085, with firmware update to support eArc.
Set up is timeous but easy, AV Unit menus appear on TV screen, everything OK. TV talks to AV unit sound comes out of theater speakers
Next day cannot get menus or DVD pic on TV. TV input (HDMI 2) reports no signal. Cannot get Yamha setup screens back on TV either.

Re initialized Yamaha box, got everything working, next day same problem. Any ideas?
Tried a different HDMI cable, no change in result.

I'd suggest you try yet another HDMI cable. The issue sounds less like an issue with the TV or the AVR and more akin to an issue with the cable being used. The only other thing to check is that the associated HDMI output is actually engaged on the receiver. There's an HDMI OUT button on the remote that will cycle between the 2 output, and whether they are tuirned on. There;s no reason that the receiver should have turned the main output off or changed its setting to the secpnd output though, not unless you've mistakly pressed this button?

There's no reason why the receiver wouldn't ordinarilly be able to convey a signal to that TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom