CEDIA 2014: Epson announce new range of Laser Projectors - news discussion

It looks like the LS10000 will be at a similar price point to JVC's X500 and Sony's VW300.

So if no waiting for them to heat up/cool down does that mean that they need less cooling (fan noise)

There is a review up already on projector reviews of the ls1000. Looks stunning.

Last edited:
Yep, this is exactly what I want.

Fed up with buying bulbs every 3 months.

These new lasers projectors are the way to go!!!
Now for some real 4k versions and a more affordable prices would be great! thank you.

It's the cheaper LS9600e which interest me.

It's non-4K, which is fine with me.

If they can knock that out for £3k-ish, I'm in. Maybe £3.5k.

If they can do that the Sony HW55 will start to look redundant (no motorised lens, lamp-based, less-good blacks).

Steve W

Wow. You must either watch films all day every day Nick or just leave your PJ on 24/7.

The Epson looks promising..... Certainly interesting times ahead :)

He he, I do try to watch a film daily. But come 5 pm the PJ in used for TV use mainly until around 2am. Bulbs start to flicker from 700-900 hours then go so dim you can't see anything.

He he, I do try to watch a film daily. But come 5 pm the PJ in used for TV use mainly until around 2am. Bulbs start to flicker from 700-900 hours then go so dim you can't see anything.
700-900 hours? Surely there must be a fault somewhere if thats all the hours your getting.

Just read at AVS, the cheaper model will be $6.5k, which is £4k at direct currency swap (which, let's face it, it never is), so I'm out.

Maybe in a year or two, competition from Sony & JVC if they get lasers, we'll see something reasonable.

You know, this Epson has no iris, but it dims the lasers instead. I can only presume that's cheaper as there's no mechanism.

Now if Sony were to power their HW40 was lasers...

How much more are the lasers than a lamp? If it's less than a grand, that means you could get a 'Laser-HW40' for £2.5K.

Which would be interesting.

Steve W

I guess you are not using genuine lamps then?

I guess you are not using genuine lamps then?

Yep genuine lamps. I have argued this with JVC time and time again. Apparently it's the way I use the pj. Ie, everyday. The 3000 hour life is only achievable apparently if you never turn the pj off. It's the turning it on and off that causes the bulbs to fault. Oh and a flickering bulb is not a fault according to JVC.

BUT JVC also say I should change the bulbs at 200-300 hours as they would be too dim by then? Ok?

They did once do me a bulb for £200 rather than the £300 srp.

But if you're watching it all night you should be turning it on and off LESS than if you watched 2 hour films only, not more.

Steve W

Again, one of my arguements. But if were to say watch one film a day for a couple of hours you'd have far less time on the bulb than say my daily 8 odd hours of use. But we are derailing this thread....

So back to these Epsons. I very much look forward to seeing these if Epson feel us Brits are good enough for them.

Just as aside (and this applies to the Epsons too, presumably), you should never have an LCD projector in for very long periods if time.

Back when DLP was taking off TI did an experiment, leaving a DLP and LCD on constantly, same material.

I can't remember how long it took, but the LCD chip didn't respond well to the constant heat, and went funny in some way or other.

LCD manufacturers cried fowl, noting that people don't use projectors like that, and that had they been turned on for just a few hours at a time for a film there'd have been no problem.

Speaking as a teacher, in the past we've had mainly LCD models, many left on for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week - it's not pretty when the chip goes.

I wonder if the laser light is less hot than traditional lamp light.

Steve W

Just as aside (and this applies to the Epsons too, presumably), you should never have an LCD projector in for very long periods if time.

Back when DLP was taking off TI did an experiment, leaving a DLP and LCD on constantly, same material.

I can't remember how long it took, but the LCD chip didn't respond well to the constant heat, and went funny in some way or other.

LCD manufacturers cried fowl, noting that people don't use projectors like that, and that had they been turned on for just a few hours at a time for a film there'd have been no problem.

Speaking as a teacher, in the past we've had mainly LCD models, many left on for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week - it's not pretty when the chip goes.

I wonder if the laser light is less hot than traditional lamp light.

Steve W

I wonder if this applies to reflective technology though in the same way as transmissive designs?

I wonder if this applies to reflective technology though in the same way as transmissive designs?

Dunno.

Would you like to spend several thousand pounds on a projector and try?

Let us know how you get on.

:D

Steve W

As long as you remember that comparison of DLP and LCD by maker of DLP chips isn't the most neutral one that there is. A manufacturer of competing products is more keen to find the defects of technology but I don't remember if the longevity of LCD panel has been a real problem at any time or was such test just marketing BS.

As long as you remember that comparison of DLP and LCD by maker of DLP chips isn't the most neutral one that there is. A manufacturer of competing products is more keen to find the defects of technology but I don't remember if the longevity of LCD panel has been a real problem at any time or was such test just marketing BS.

Yes, but I think this was legit (within the parameters of the test), in that Team LCD didn't dispute that's what'd happen, they just noted (correctly) that projectors weren't supposed to be used continuously.

Steve W

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom