Centre sounds disconnected from the dialogue

GigabitEthernet

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got my Monitor Audio MASS system installed as per the attachment.

The problem I am having is that the centre channel sounds like it's below the TV, like the dialogue coming from it isn't coming from the image on the TV but instead it sounds very much disconnected from it. It's very annoying.

I thought it was a height issue so I moved the centre to be as close to the TV as possible - but the issue remains.

What could be causing this and how do I resolve it?

Attachments

• IMG_0421.jpeg
    IMG_0421.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 82
It could be a reflection issue. Pull the centre forward to the edge of the unit and see if it persists there.

Agree with Conrad it could very well be a placement issue. It's always best to have any speaker that is set on a shelf for the front of it to sit proud of the edge by a few mm. That will certainly help rid some of the unwanted reflections.

With your left and right speakers as close to the TV as they are I would try setting the system to phantom centre and run without it. You might find this improves things without any extra effort.

Put the centre channel at the front of the stand as advised but sadly the audio still sounds disconnected from the TV.

Happy to consider the use of a phantom but then I feel like I’ve wasted money on a centre I’m not using, so would like to eliminate everything until I do that.

Can you temporarily put the centre on top of the tv, even if you have to McGyver it?

Just to see if that changes the sound.

Can you temporarily put the centre on top of the tv, even if you have to McGyver it?

Just to see if that changes the sound.

My speaker cable won’t stretch that far :(

I can have a look into what I can bodge together though.

I’m a bit bemused because I had my old Onkyo centre in the same position and it sounded fine. I did have the right and left on the same stand so perhaps that’s why? I thought having the speakers wider apart would improve the sound stage. Kind of regret doing that now :(

So I am doing some home improvements and hence I can adjust the positioning of the speakers and the TV.

Is the best thing to do, to lower the left/right channel so it is in line with the centre, or alternatively lift the centre up?

The TV height is pretty much spot on, so wouldn't really like to adjust that but I can't see any other way to horizontally align all of the speakers.

Is it better to have the left/right too low, or the centre too high?

Have you tried running with a phantom centre and simply disconnect it? Your left and right speakers are more than close enough to not need it.

So I am doing some home improvements and hence I can adjust the positioning of the speakers and the TV.

Is the best thing to do, to lower the left/right channel so it is in line with the centre, or alternatively lift the centre up?

The TV height is pretty much spot on, so wouldn't really like to adjust that but I can't see any other way to horizontally align all of the speakers.

Is it better to have the left/right too low, or the centre too high?

Ideally you want the tweeters in the front three speakers to be at ear height. That's often not achievable though, especially with a TV.

You might lower the L and R a little (but not much, they look pretty spot on now) and raise the centre as much as you can, bring it forward, and angle it up so that it's pointing at your ears.

EDIT: just seen @noiseboy72's reply, which is a very good idea.

Thanks both.

Is mounting the centre channel on the wall below the TV, likely to help with the reflection issue, or just make it worse?

It seems like to mount it on the wall would be moving it further back? If so, that's a bad idea.
Can you move it forward to the front edge of the media unit?

Trying a phantom center is what you should do first though, it's free, takes no effort and will give you a good indication on whether it's your center channel or a wider system issue.

It seems like to mount it on the wall would be moving it further back? If so, that's a bad idea.
Can you move it forward to the front edge of the media unit?

Trying a phantom center is what you should do first though, it's free, takes no effort and will give you a good indication on whether it's your center channel or a wider system issue.

I thought I had mentioned, I moved it to the front of the unit and it made no difference.

Phantom centre resolved the issue but then I’ve wasted money on a speaker I won’t use. Never had this problem on my old speakers.

ok, but now you know that the issue is with the center.

It looks like your speakers are the same across the front three? Can you move one of the side speakers to the center position and see if that helps? It'll show up if it's an issue with the speaker.

You could sell the speaker? What's worse, not using the speaker, or using the speaker and it sounding bad?

Fair point. Would a different set of speakers be better perhaps?

I’ll try swapping the speakers around.

So to summarise, you have a fix - don't use the centre speaker, but you would rather use all the speakers you have paid for, even if it sounds worse. However, you would consider a new set of speakers... That's a bit like saying I have a car with air conditioning, but it's too cold when I use it, but because I've paid for it I leave it switched on - but I might buy a new car with different air conditioning in case that works better.

Why not just leave the centre speaker in place and just not use it? It will still look like a 5.1 system, but you will be happier with the sound. In a lot of domestic situations where the left and right speakers are quite close together you do not need a centre speaker. I stopped using mine about 15 years ago as my front speakers are about the same distance apart as yours. I genuinely have never missed it!

I was considering a speaker upgrade anyway, so I just wondered if I’d have the same problem with a different set.

I’m very happy to use a phantom centre but I’d like to know why this happens and how it can be fixed. Surely there is a fix that doesn’t mean just not using a speaker anymore? That’s the only reason I asked.

Take your L and R and see if spacing them apart makes a difference. Even if it means bodging a stand, sitting on the floor and running bell wire instead of speaker cable. Try moving the center off the stand completely, or raise it so that it's in the middle of the TV. Clearly none of this is long term but if you don't know what the problem is then it's difficult to suggest a fix or know whether a fix will work.

Sure, new speakers might do it, but it's a complete gamble.

First you need to know if the center you have is capable of sounding ok. Wire it up to the left channel and run music through it and see what it sounds like. With it back as the center, play a CD and upmix it to 5.1 and see if the vocals sound ok (it could be to do with the image/sound alignment that you're sensitive to). Lots of things to test before you give up on it entirely. But no center is an option. I don't run a center in my living room and I hardly notice.

@GigabitEthernet , my post was a bit tongue in cheek, please don't take offence!

Sometimes the less is more rule holds true. 7.1 and 9.1 surround systems are now being supplanted by 5.1.4 atmos systems, as these offer more "depth" and precise positioning than just surround - and by combining speaker positions so that upward firing Atmos shares the same cabinet as the main speaker the real estate needed is reduced.

I appreciate it's annoying to shell out on something and then not use it, but on occasions it is the fix.

Thanks both. I didn’t take offence.

I was looking at the Focal Sib Evo which would seem to be a good fit for my room in terms of adding Atmos.

Will try the centre as a left/right channel and go from there.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom