CES 2018 News: Best TVs of the Show - article discussion

Whilst you do need HDMI 2.1 to deliver 4K HDR 120Hz, it is possible to deliver VRR and eARC via HDMI 2.0.

Steve, outside of gaming, is there any content that needs 4K HDR 120Hz?

What 'improvements' would've made you hold on and get a 2018 model?
Well, speaking for myself, in descending order of importance:

1) I'll never buy a high-end TV that isn't 3D-enabled.
2) The ability to have perfect blacks without compromising near-black performance.
3) Good consistency of colour and brightness across the whole screen.
4) The ability to hit 1000 nits brightness without compromising colour saturation at high luminance levels.
5) Support for both DV and HDR10+.
6) eARC.
7) The ability to be calibrated to have deltaE < 2 for every point in the colour space; preferably, the ability for the TV to calibrate itself to that level, rather than requiring the services of a calibrator.
8) The ability to do all of the above, with black-frame-insertion.
9) The ability to watch standard definition material in a window rather than full-screen.
10) The ability to deinterlace 60Hz DVDs to 120Hz.
11) A bright enough display that 3D HDR becomes a viable thing.
12) Reliable 60Hz->24Hz conversion at all resolutions.

Last edited:

2) The ability to have perfect blacks without compromising near-black performance.
3) Good consistency of colour and brightness across the whole screen.
4) The ability to hit 1000 nits brightness without compromising colour saturation at high luminance levels.
5) Support for both DV and HDR10+.
6) eARC.
7) The ability to be calibrated to have deltaE < 2 for every point in the colour space; preferably, the ability for the TV to calibrate itself to that level, rather than requiring the services of a calibrator.
8) The ability to do all of the above, with black-frame-insertion.
9) The ability to watch standard definition material in a window rather than full-screen.
10) The ability to deinterlace 60Hz DVDs to 120Hz.
11) A bright enough display that 3D HDR becomes a viable thing.
12) Reliable 60Hz->24Hz conversion at all resolutions.
Rain drops on roses and whiskers on kittens....

Not yet but there are plans to use it for broadcasting, especially with sports where it makes a huge difference.

Thanks, I’m considering updating my TV this year but head is now saying wait till 2019 if it is going to be important.

So, you won't be buying any high-end (or any level, for that matter) television that's new to the market from now on, until the next incarnation of 3D in about 30 years' time?

I don't know which television you have, but maybe better grab a 3D-capable Sony ZD9 while you still can!

Not really surprised by the lack of innovation this year, the tv industry seems to be in a state of flux as far as adopting and refining new technology and various formats are concerned moving forward.

Backs up my theory that manufactures would be best served bringing out new models every two years rather than every one, providing updates where possible and giving greater consumer confidence knowing their tv wouldn’t be old hat in less than 12 months.

Last edited:
Whilst you do need HDMI 2.1 to deliver 4K HDR 120Hz, it is possible to deliver VRR and eARC via HDMI 2.0.

Have any TV manufacturers delivered that? Would be huge for me. As someone who games on a 165Hz GSync monitor I just can't do 60Hz anymore, too choppy.

So, you won't be buying any high-end (or any level, for that matter) television that's new to the market from now on, until the next incarnation of 3D in about 30 years' time?

I don't know which television you have, but maybe better grab a 3D-capable Sony ZD9 while you still can!
I have an LG G6 which should last me a few years yet. After that dies it'll be low-end stuff.

Good to see a wider range of technologies this year which includes that Samsung MLED .

Looking forward to comparison reviews later this year between the Best OLED TV’s vs that 10,000 nit SONY LCD TV.

Been looking through many Press YOUTUBE videos and surprised no one comfronts Sony about why they failed to deliver Dolby Vision to SONY X1EXTREME chip TV’s - almost one year later than announced.

Last edited:
However I was hoping for a filtration of the high end technologies into smaller form factors such as the 49" and 43" models. I'd even quite like to see a new model introduced between the two screen sizes. I accept that there have been arguments about the benefits of the technology of these sizes but believe the consumer should still have the choice.

I totally agree. I only have room for 40" to 45", currently on a 2011 Samsung. Since then anything less than 50" is dumbed down low-spec budget stuff not worth buying. I hate motion blur and this is what you get as soon as costs are cut. Best TV I had was a 32" Lowe CRT- no HD but perfect motion.

I would pay anything for a high quality 43" (say) even if it's only HD. Put a much more powerful processor and use OLED and that would do. But pushing 8k instead is crazy. It's like the camera story. I once had a 4 MPixel camera, subsequently got a 14 MPixel (with a smaller sensor size), which pretty quickly went in the bin as the pictures were junk. It's not about the number of pixels, it's GOOD pixels.

So I'm stuck with the Samsung for another decade by the looks of it.

Hmmm that Sony x900f 85"sounds interesting. I wonder how much?

As does the UK spec 49XF9005BU. (Full details already on Sony's web site.)

2018!......... now time for me to replace my 5.5 year old 47" Panny for a 4K TV having recently upgrade from Tivo to Virgin Media's V6 box. It will be interesting to see the launch price compared to the 5 star rated 2017 49XE9005 ?. (Currently £949 down from the March 2017 launch price of £1,500 - Whathifi).

I am tempted by XE price but the upgraded X1-Extreme processor in the XF makes it worth waiting for the first reviews. Samsung's products will also be considerd, when known, so a decision to purchase will be made in time for the Footy World Cup .

So my question is, wait for the 2019 new models to release and be announced or buy a 2018 model with price drops incoming?

Thinking about getting a Panasonic Oled 65", LG Oled 65" or Samsung Qled 8k 65".
Not sure yet if it should be a 2018 or 2019 model.

My wife did not like the wallmounted 75" Samsung Q9FN. It was too big for her taste. So I am back on track in finding a tv.

Current model ist a Panasonic 50" Plasma 3D Television. Not broken, just I want something new and a bigger screen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom