CES 2018 News: Best TVs of the Show - article discussion

Apparently there was a power outage at CES of about an hour. Hmm no power, no OLED, no LCD, no micro, no 4K, er no nuffing. o_O

Apparently there was a power outage at CES of about an hour. Hmm no power, no OLED, no LCD, no micro, no 4K, er no nuffing. o_O

So nothing was missed then :rotfl:

Have to say the only thing that made me go, wow, after watching the coverage, was the rollable LG OLED.

I know it's only a prototype and may not be seen for a while and all that but still, uber impressive.

That said, I can now turn my concentration back to picking up a 2017 OLED as cheap as possible:D

Really? I haven't seen OLEDs improving at all in the last year or two tbh. Year on year they seem to be suffering from the same issues of limited brightness, poor above-black performance, banding issues and image retention.

I'm honestly not seeing any real improvement in these areas and am starting to think they're fundamental limitations of the technology.
well, i would suggest a c7 or c8 OLED is alot better than an OLED from 2014/2015...so improvements in brightness,shadows, vignetting, ABL etc have been made...and i believe this years LG oleds have BFI as well...granted not massive things but improvements anyway.

Maybe a modular version of OLED (like MicroLED) next year/year after will drive down banding and increase NIT output. But looks like nothing to excite this year. Looks unlike Samsung will have a affordable MicroLED out next year. So 2020 might be a great year?

Have to say the only thing that made me go, wow, after watching the coverage, was the rollable LG OLED.

I know it's only a prototype and may not be seen for a while and all that but still, uber impressive.
I would've found it a lot more impressive if the box the screen "rolls" out of was sitting on a shelf you could see under as opposed to another box slightly larger then a 65" screen!

Really? I haven't seen OLEDs improving at all in the last year or two tbh. Year on year they seem to be suffering from the same issues of limited brightness, poor above-black performance, banding issues and image retention.

I'm honestly not seeing any real improvement in these areas and am starting to think they're fundamental limitations of the technology.

From the LG 2018 CES thread:

The C8 doesn't use a soundbar, I think this TV will be the absolute sweet spot for most enthusiasts this year. I can personally vouch for the fact that LG have really stepped up the picture performance overall, which is impressive considering that last year's models already looked superb.

I guess it all depends how one judges improvement.

OLED issues? What issues?

I've got a LG B6 OLED and NEVER seen any of the problems that you have stated above....

I would've found it a lot more impressive if the box the screen "rolls" out of was sitting on a shelf you could see under as opposed to another box slightly larger then a 65" screen!
The box is simply a cover, there are pics on youtube with the box removed & gubbins exposed. Looks to me like it could be put anywhere

It was a rather fugly box.

Samsung did a horrible PR job this year.

The best TV of ces is kinda being ignored.

The 85"8k micro dimming TV with 10,000 zones and 4000 nits is carrying a big secret. It's the 1st TV to ever use quantum dot color filters. This tv is being sold in the fall and I've been told that this tech of micro dimming with QDCF is coming to the regular Qled line in 2019. This is THE tech that will take down oled and give people a safer option over a pretty stagnant oled technology.

It is shame Samsung have not released their 2018 line up, when everyone else has released most of their line up. I have been waiting to see what them and Sony come out with before deciding to wait 6 months the for a price reduction on 2018 tv's or get a 2017 model at discount prices in couple of months. Perhaps a 2017 oled is on the cards now....:rolleyes:

Very tempted with xe9005, will the xf9005 be much of an upgrade, Dolby vision aside?

Maybe a modular version of OLED (like MicroLED) next year/year after will drive down banding and increase NIT output. But looks like nothing to excite this year. Looks unlike Samsung will have a affordable MicroLED out next year. So 2020 might be a great year?

A few reports said a chequered effected could be seen when near black on the modular microLED, as there were slight differences in the surfaces of each section. It is only a prototype, but I do forsee issues with getting exact alignment, although I hope not as it is an exciting development.

A few reports said a chequered effected could be seen when near black on the modular microLED, as there were slight differences in the surfaces of each section. It is only a prototype, but I do forsee issues with getting exact alignment, although I hope not as it is an exciting development.
I had wondered about how closely you get the modular sections to hide the gaps.

There's been comments made about the lack in innovation in this year's line up, and whilst I understand the comments I'm not overly bothered if there's a limitation in this year's technological advances on larger screens 55" upwards.

However I was hoping for a filtration of the high end technologies into smaller form factors such as the 49" and 43" models. I'd even quite like to see a new model introduced between the two screen sizes. I accept that there have been arguments about the benefits of the technology of these sizes but believe the consumer should still have the choice.

I like many look to get the best available technology when buying a TV, however the dimension of my living room and the views of my wife limited my TV size to 43" (45-46 if such a size existed). As such I am simply getting left behind with manufacturers seemingly abandoning these form factors, resulting in limited options which don't justify purchases. I have in the past replaced my TV every three years and have enjoyed doing so, but unless this current business model changes I can't see me purchasing one in a long time.

I must be special then as my 65 b6 has none of the issues you mention.

However I was hoping for a filtration of the high end technologies into smaller form factors such as the 49" and 43" models. I'd even quite like to see a new model introduced between the two screen sizes. I accept that there have been arguments about the benefits of the technology of these sizes but believe the consumer should still have the choice.

I like many look to get the best available technology when buying a TV, however the dimension of my living room and the views of my wife limited my TV size to 43" (45-46 if such a size existed). As such I am simply getting left behind with manufacturers seemingly abandoning these form factors, resulting in limited options which don't justify purchases. I have in the past replaced my TV every three years and have enjoyed doing so, but unless this current business model changes I can't see me purchasing one in a long time.

Not in CES 2018 but in a LGD European event some weeks before:

Question - A 40" OLED or QLED TV?

What i take away from CES is that OLED has reached its peak for HDR content and the tech just can't evolve for this format . Much like plasma before its great for SDR but it cant and will never be able to fully expand and capture be cutting edge to keep up with the format .

LCD is more of the same ol same ol with certain manufacturers using older tech into 2018 . The 8K Samsung will be a beast but out of almost all on price . MLED may be the future but with Samsungs next year or nine year time span once pushed it is distant and will once again cost one their soul .

Better processing is always welcome but the UHD format has specs that most displays can not yet deliver and in case of OLED can not ever deliver.

Then there is HDMI 2.1 to consider that will be a 2019 upgrade . Tis a bit of treading water year for all it seems .

What I took away is the TV I bought this year (LG B7V) will do for a few more years and the tech improvements are not something that warrants parting with cash again next year. Yes - processing improved in LGs and others, but its seems from C8 upwards you cant escape horrible unwanted sound bars functionality in some form or other and the B8 is now out of the running anyway as good is the minimal model that had the same processing as the others. Instead - you have to have a nasty sound bar included one way or another whether you want it or not.

Samsung (and Panasonic) have utterly screwed up dynamic HDR for everyone probably causing a complete nightmare for the next decade once studio starts to chose between DV/HDR10+ and probably end up going with static HDR10 instead despite what they may have signed up to.
The AVR I have will be functionally good for a year or two at least as well.

And the biggy for me - still very little choice in DV capable 4K players - this being the most disappointing bit. The manufacturers I was hoping to hear something from on player front were not even there at all I think.

Tech is in a good direction (except the HDR10+ nonsense of forcing it to be an either/or) for the future, but nothing unexpected.

What 'improvements' would've made you hold on and get a 2018 model?

Can only speak for myself but HDMI 2.1 and the improvements that would bring;

-120Hz gaming (4K HDR 120Hz)
-VRR
-eARC

Sadly no HDMI 2.1 this year so I'll be continuing to hold off until 2019.
Would also like to see a LG W8 without the soundbar at a reasonable price (C8) price.

There's really not all that much over last years LG models. Still fantastic TV's but as a gamer it's no dice. Hopefully Volta arrives this year with HDMI 2.1.

Can only speak for myself but HDMI 2.1 and the improvements that would bring;

-120Hz gaming (4K HDR 120Hz)
-VRR
-eARC

Sadly no HDMI 2.1 this year so I'll be continuing to hold off until 2019.
Would also like to see a LG W8 without the soundbar at a reasonable price (C8) price.

There's really not all that much over last years LG models. Still fantastic TV's but as a gamer it's no dice. Hopefully Volta arrives this year with HDMI 2.1.
Whilst you do need HDMI 2.1 to deliver 4K HDR 120Hz, it is possible to deliver VRR and eARC via HDMI 2.0.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom