CES 2018: Panasonic announces new FZ950 & FZ800 OLED 4K TV line-up with HDR10+

The dynamic LUT and calibration features sound interesting and it's good that the entire range gets them and not just the overkill speaker wise 952, why pay for "four larger woofers, four squawkers and two tweeters, plus a quad passive radiator" when you already have a decent surround sound setup. But I expect there will be more to differentiate the two model ranges than just the speakers.

No Dolby Vision while the new UHD players are able to play it.. The marketing of 21 century that is totally unreasonable
What about eARC?

My first feeling about this TV can be desribed as " the same "close to DCI-P3" coverage. No 3D support. 10-bit panels. No HFR. No HDMI 2.1"

I find it laughable that the Panasonic marketing spiel includes so much technical blurb aimed at AV enthusiasts / calibrators and colourists, just as it did at CES 2017, yet their OLED TVs had a basic flaw in motion handling that you wouldn't expect to find in a £350 set from Asda! What exactly is the point of an advanced "Dynamic LUT system" when the sets are unlikely to even handle 25p motion properly?

The 2017 Panasonic sets have a catastrophic problem with motion handling that after months and months of waiting still is yet to be fixed. The Panasonic sets had a single firmware update in the last year; the LG's received multiple, many of which improved image quality even 6 months after initial release.

If Panasonic want to appeal to enthusiasts then perhaps they could at the very least bother to fix such a basic flaw in a reasonable space of time.

With their recent track record I I think anyone considering these apparent high-end OLEDs in 2018 above those from LG and Sony would be completely off their rocker unless Panny show even the slightest bit of interest in sorting out their flagship sets from 2017.

Panasonic were told about the 25p bug in 2017 models and apparently there was a fix pending final sign off.

Still "pending sign off" in January 2018 when the issue was noted 6 months ago....and helpfully............"Panasonic would not be drawn on a specific timeline..........";

Now that's what I call great customer service! :clap::clap:

Last edited:
No Dolby Vision while the new UHD players are able to play it.. The marketing of 21 century that is totally unreasonable
Calibration features - really interesting to enter into details. Mr Vincent will surely help us to understand it clearly
What about eARC?

My first feeling about this TV can be desribed as " the same "close to DCI-P3" coverage. No 3D support. 10-bit panels. No HFR. No HDMI 2.1"
Had the same thoughts about Dolby Vision as well, why put out UHD players with Dolby Vision and 3D support, yet their displays don't do either.

Last edited:
Had the same thoughts about Dolby Vision as well, why put out UHD players with Dolby Vision and 3D support, yet their displays don't.
I suspect that Panny are still holding out on paying the license fee to Dolby. With DV still being pretty slow uptake at source material level, not quite compelling enough, yet?

I suspect that Panny are still holding out on paying the license fee to Dolby. With DV still being pretty slow uptake at source material level, not quite compelling enough, yet?
You might be right but it seems strange that they will pay the fee for their player but not the TVs.

I find it laughable that the Panasonic marketing spiel includes so much technical blurb aimed at AV enthusiasts / calibrators and colourists, just as it did at CES 2017, yet their OLED TVs had a basic flaw in motion handling that you wouldn't expect to find in a £350 set from Asda! What exactly is the point of an advanced "Dynamic LUT system" when the sets are unlikely to even handle 25p motion properly?

The 2017 Panasonic sets have a catastrophic problem with motion handling that after months and months of waiting still is yet to be fixed. The Panasonic sets had a single firmware update in the last year; the LG's received multiple, many of which improved image quality even 6 months after initial release.

If Panasonic want to appeal to enthusiasts then perhaps they could at the very least bother to fix such a basic flaw in a reasonable space of time.

With their recent track record I I think anyone considering these apparent high-end OLEDs in 2018 above those from LG and Sony would be completely off their rocker unless Panny show even the slightest bit of interest in sorting out their flagship sets from 2017.
Catastrophic lol. Hyperbole much? [emoji3]

All sounds interesting, but a little confusing ?
No 3D
No DV
Yet the new Panasonic UHD Blu Ray players do support it :thumbsdow

So in 2019 we will get Oled with 3D, DV, and HDMI 2.1, :clap::clap:

Hold up. Wasn’t this guy with LG?
Pretty certain I recall him extolling the virtues of LG OLED last year?

Hold up. Wasn’t this guy with LG?
Pretty certain I recall him extolling the virtues of LG OLED last year?
That's what i thought too!

I wonder if the higher model 950 get the black filter as was the case for last year, this is not mentioned here except for the speaker.

There is hardly any reason to get the higher priced 950 just for the speaker and does not look as sleek as the 800 model, which will be cheaper and sell far more. Apart from the stutter in 2017 models, they have been excellent.

Just hope they managed to iron the banding and tinting issues for this year and improve upon near black performance.

All sounds interesting, but a little confusing ?
No 3D
No DV
Yet the new Panasonic UHD Blu Ray players do support it :thumbsdow

So in 2019 we will get Oled with 3D, DV, and HDMI 2.1, :clap::clap:
3D TVs are dead and buried, friend.
You just have to live with it or get 2016 models.

@SteveWithers you asked them about BBC iPlayer supporting HLG. Could you ask Panasonic why Blue Planet 2 HLG does not work on the DX902? As it has had a firmware update to support HLG.

I wonder if the higher model 950 get the black filter as was the case for last year, this is not mentioned here except for the speaker.
It certainly is, he said "Unlike last year, all of the new 2018 models will include an Absolute Black Filter"

We will be doing follow-up technical questions with Panasonic tomorrow and that's one of the questions I'll be asking them.

Thanks for the report Steve.

I'd been hoping Panasonic might add DV this year :(
Always loved (and bought) Panasonic TVs but think I'll have to put my money elsewhere for my next upgrade.

Is it too much to ask for a TV that will handle any and every kind of image processing?
All this DV vs HDR between the manufacturers is ridiculous.

I noticed that Rob Taylor didn't rule out DV for the future... so why not now? So annoying.

Last edited:
With their blu-ray player handling both DV and HDR10+, maybe all that is holding back Panasonic OLEDs is the right deal from Dolby. Be strange if they do support DV though as in some respects if they did, they would be in a better position than LG/Sony, in covering all the HDR bases.

Thanks for the report Steve.

I'd been hoping Panasonic might add DV this year :(
Always loved (and bought) Panasonic TVs but think I'll have to put my money elsewhere for my next upgrade.

Is it too much to ask for a TV that will handle any and every kind of image processing?
All this DV vs HDR between the manufacturers is ridiculous.

I noticed that Rob Taylor didn't rule out DV for the future... so why not now? So annoying.
He didn't rule it out but he was just being diplomatic, I was told that this year's Panasonic TVs don't have the necessary chipset to support Dolby Vision, so they won't be adding it in 2018.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom