CES 2018: The End of Show Post Mortem Video - article discussion

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
@Ed Selley doing it right, I'm certain that's how he kept healthy. His stare (in places) looks like it could do with a cowboy hat and some chewing tobacco. Kudos!

Well done lads, looks like you didn’t escape the UK flu, must have been the plane air con on the way over!

Apprechate all the work.

It does look like 2019 will be a better year, but great to see LG tweak the 2018 sets to bring some very nice features.

What’s the story for autocalibration - will it still run on your laptop with network connection to LG to verify the license or will you now log onto some sort of LG Calman cloud, sync your equipment with it and kick off the calibration so if your not online, you’ve had it?

The bfi and smooth gradation sound like nice additions.

Reading about Sony’s DV lite update...oh dear..hope the like of Apple and Oppo can sort it for the Sony owners. Was this a CES’17 night before decision and will the 2018 oled allow over hdmi or is it the same?

Microled looks great, but they would need to sort out the reflections from the modular design (as in you can see the modules) but very interesting all the same.

Looking forward to the podcast

Last edited:
nice little lunchtime listen at work...yes for me the wall, the 10,000 nits sony and micro LED..all great but more concepts than consumer tvs nearly ready to be sold on the market, and of course the lack of 2.1 hdmi support...does make it really feel like an "off" year for tvs rather than an on with exciting new consumer telly's...yes and im dying with either Jap/Australian cold bug which has lasted 5 weeks and counting!

Thanks gentlemen for a very good end of show round up. Not sure what you will have to talk about in the next podcast. How about addressing the various issues raised in the associated threads? The whole debacle about Sony's DV implementation and how we can get around the growing DV HDR10+ battle for instance.
Don't share Ed's enthusiasm for this year's Bristol Show in view of the lack of innovation at CES and may give it a miss.

Good round up guys. Sorry to hear @Ed Selley escaped the illness! Only joking Ed it sounded like you had a lucky escape.

So yeah, not the most exciting CES there has been. Great for future advances but not a great deal for the next 12 months.

Looking forward to the follow up videos and Podcasts.

Well done guys for battling through it all

Glad my 4000th post is one congratulating you guys!

Last edited:
Cheers for all the vids bad luck with the illnesses!
For me Samsung did a cracking job of spoiling the show with their cracking vapourware Wall TV with the random implementation date of 1-9 years

Always enjoy those January desert-casts. Thanks for the coverage. Look forward to the podcast next week and hope everyone feels better.

MB

Thanks chaps - that was an interesting listen/watch. Good to see you are all fit and healthy, no wait, thats not right is it...

Keep up the good work and get that next podcast out! I feel we need some Star Wars chat!

Good videos as usual, however I was disappointed there were no mentions of the various $1600 4K projectors that are (Or shortly will be) available, were they that bad that they just weren’t bothering with, or will they be upcoming in the future.

NOTE: Nothing like Real Ale to keep the bugs away. (Although even the American rubbish seems to work OK)

Bill

were were you staying? a $10 per night motel :)

Thanks guys grateful for a fantastic job well done.

Seems strange, but i dont see many members as excited this year compared to last year, am i wrong ?.
Also very few members talking about their forthcoming purchases this time round.

I guess from a tv perspective possibly many bought in 2016/17 and if hdmi2.1 is coming in 2019 they will wait (even if there is no need for it - but it’s an excuse to upgrade!).

Seems strange, but i dont see many members as excited this year compared to last year, am i wrong ?.
Also very few members talking about their forthcoming purchases this time round.

used to look forward to CES more than Christmas, this year lacked to ignite any excitement. Were at the point now though that av entertainment is just splitting hairs . Some times you have to make do with evolution rather than revolution. :(

Your post made me think.
I remembered what a french reporter said in his video on ces. I didn’t agree with him initially but think he is right: He said it is too much this year, the manufacturer managed to confuse the consumers by an avalanche of communication and conflicting messages. Think hdr which is a PR disaster with so many options, add quantum, oled, qled,...

I don’t think we lost interest, it is just like good things in life including food/sweets/.., too much and you have an indigestion...or a constipation...

The Dolby Cinema “Calibrators in Cars Getting Coffee” video was worth it for Ed sitting silently in the back like a surly overgrown teenager.

The Dolby Cinema “Calibrators in Cars Getting Coffee” video was worth it for Ed sitting silently drinking in the back like a surly overgrown teenager wino.

FTFY

Why did I feel that "our Ed" was standing with a particular gait. I wondered if our erstwhile hi-fi commentator had encountered a slight problem with his liquid consumption lower down :eek:, and what the hell was he looking at with wonderment on occasions, what goes on in a desert. o_O
Hey Ed we love you. :love:

Thanks for all the podcasts guys and i'm glad that both you Phil and Count "W" are feeling better it couldn't have been much fun, but at least Ed was feeling ok.... I think. ;) By the way hacked off about 3D. :censored:

Last edited:
Thanks guys, especially with your stoic attitude in the face of ill health :)

As an owner of a 50in Samsung TV (2015 model) my main thoughts towards any replacement in a year or two's time was that I move up to a 55in (the largest screen I can accommodate) that would be an OLED TV - with 10 BIT colour, HLG & be 'future proof' on connections - and that it would most likely end up being an LG OLED TV

I must say I'm now liking the new 'upright' Sony (A85) but now that has concerns with Dolby Vision it seems.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom