CES 2018: What to Expect? - article discussion

OLED, QLED, CLED, Micro LED, QD, HDR, HDR10, HDR10+, DV, HLG, HFR, QFT...
almost makes me pine for the days when you just had to choose a brand and size of telly :p

Nevertheless, I look forward to reading your reports from the show. :smashin:

Is AV1 going to replace HEVC and VP9 as the 4K codec, will any of 2018 TVs be upgradeable to decode it?

I'm not buying a new TV now for a long time, as it's a total farce, 4K TVs were being sold in 2013 and even 5yrs later they are still adding stuff or leaving other bits out, the picture quality hasn't really improved at all.

Tiny bit more detail here or there but no big improvements, despite 4K, it's WCG and HDR that's making a bit of a difference.

almost makes me pine for the days when you just had to choose a brand and size of telly :p

You made me smile but you made a very serious point. You need a PhD to understand all this especially if new to all this or simply not that interested...

I dont expect a lot but really want to hear more about the main probs that is actual for me as a consumer:
1. True 12 bit panels availability in 2018
2. HDR+ as an official standard for UHD disk - to stop this format farce forever
3. HDMI 2.1 full compatibility concept TVs
4. OLED brightness banding and vignetting improvements. LG suggestions
5. Finalizing codec solution standart. Will it be HEVC or not?!!

"Hi Mr Salesman, whats the best TV you have"

"This Sony Trinitron"

"I'll take it:

Sigh, those were the days.

"This Sony Trinitron"

"I'll take it:

Love it...
Today:
“Hi Mr Salesman, whats the best TV you have"

"This Super Qled HDR10+ Qantum dot 12 bits wide color gamut Hfr Fald 2000 nite with freeview Amazon and Alexa AI plus Dolby vision and hdmi 2.1 if you lucky...”

“I come back later when I want a terminator or a tan”

After CES it would be nice to have an article explaining what are Micro-LEDs, emissive Quantum Dots and Crystal LEDs. What are their relative advantages and disadvantages. And a comparison between them vs OLEDs and LCDs.

"This Sony Trinitron"

"I'll take it:

Well, I believe currently the dialog goes
"Hi Mr Salesman, what TV I should buy"
"This LG IPS LCD is the best TV (ie. the one I get paid to push)"
"I'll take it"

Well, I believe currently the dialog goes
"Hi Mr Salesman, what TV I should buy"
"This LG IPS LCD is the best TV (ie. the one I get paid to push)"
"I'll take it"
Nah, Samsung.

Was in PC World at the weekend earwigging. The pushing I heard for Samsung was frankly sickening. And it was all total BS. That place really makes me sick. But they had the wallpaper OLED from LG so wanted a look.

In terms of TVs we can actually buy in 2018 what interests me most is FALD LCDs. LG have already confirmed 2 FALD models but presumably they'll continue to ruin them with IPS panels. Samsung should have a FALD TV as well given that there decision to go all edge lit in 2017 wasn't well received, hardly surprising given they're trying to compete with OLED.

My prediction is Sony will make a big splash in 2018 in a bid to revive the glory days of their Trinitron CRTs.

So I think they'll continue with OLED but announce plans to make a 65 inch CLED that will eventually replace the ZD9.

What to expect ? More small big changes from different manufacturers to this UHD fiasco to keep punters guessing or more so to keep punters buying .

This so called alliance ( whatever they call it) and premium cert is a farce when manufacturers in it go their own way. A big fat nothing it turned out to be for an industry all together with a vested interest on physical media ;)

Yeah ok.

With OLED I'm not expecting anything major and quite disappointed so far with their early revelations.
No increase in Brightness, same as last year!
LG will release the same panel as 2016, which they tweaked for 2017.
Same old Bandy panels as 2017, which was worse than 2016 panels

The exciting new developments could come Sony with their advanced LCD FALD sets, the successor to the legendary ZD9 and Samsung introducing QD Emissive LCD. Panasonic will not release any high end LCDs, as last year would release OLEDs with a mega expensive model that only fools will buy.

Can't see any company releasing a consumer set with brand new technology like Mirco LED or Crystal LED, which we never heard since Sony showed a demo set long time ago.

LG have more 77” OLED models, the B8 will have a lesser chipset (Alpha 7) rather than the Alpha9 of the more expensive models, there is also more focus on HFR (120) capability, this is according to the HDTest video on YouTube which is taking quotes from US pre-release published details. (No idea whether it is true or not)

Bill

With OLED I'm not expecting anything major and quite disappointed so far with their early revelations.
No increase in Brightness, same as last year!
LG will release the same panel as 2016, which they tweaked for 2017.
Same old Bandy panels as 2017, which was worse than 2016 panels

The exciting new developments could come Sony with their advanced LCD FALD sets, the successor to the legendary ZD9 and Samsung introducing QD Emissive LCD. Panasonic will not release any high end LCDs, as last year would release OLEDs with a mega expensive model that only fools will buy.

Can't see any company releasing a consumer set with brand new technology like Mirco LED or Crystal LED, which we never heard since Sony showed a demo set long time ago.

Wait and see. We will see new stuff but they will take time to mature...
Samsung is forced to show its hand now versus LG. Biggest surprise may come from Sony in the background...
Don’t discard pana too quick, they have a special ips and can resurrect a dx9 successor anytime....unlikely but...

Biggest mess for me is Dv vs hdr10+ plus hdmi 2.1 (just feels half backed).

OLED? Who can blame LG for milking it further by refining what they have already. How many people beside this forum members check their slides? :).

We don’t talk about it enough but 4K is not broadcasted yet. Judging by hlg, it doesn’t seem to be a priority...
If I buy a 4K tv, I want to see sky and bbc in 4K? Too much asking ?

Samsung is forced to show its hand now versus LG. Biggest surprise may come from Sony in the background...
Don’t discard pana too quick, they have a special ips and can resurrect a dx9 successor anytime....unlikely but...

OLED? Who can blame LG for milking it further by refining what they have already. How many people beside this forum members check their slides? :).

We don’t talk about it enough but 4K is not broadcasted yet. Judging by hlg, it doesn’t seem to be a priority...

Sky already has 4K

Bill

Sky already has 4K

Bill
I don’t believe anyone is proposing a normal 4K channels...4K content is available but restricted...

Just watch Steve and Phil's journey to Gatwick Airport and beyond and then arrive at Las Vegas.

The apartment you guys have for the duration is really good. Guys (Phil & Steve) I would just like to take this opportunity and say thank you for your depth of enthusiasm over the years.

It's always a pleasure to hear your views and comentary at events such as the CES and this years approach is very welcome, as it gets myself into the excitement in anticipation of what's coming along in 2018. Thank you for all that you do Guys and to those behind the scenes and the help throughout the year with your reviews and recommendations, and of course your sense of humor. I shall be tuning into the coverage from multiple sources including of course ''AV Forums'' from this Sunday evening. Again thank you and Kind Regards to you both. Enjoy your time and be good.

The HDR is a mess tbh. Everyone has now realized that HDR 10 with its static metadata is not good and looks horrible with content. HDR supposed to be the biggest selling point to the consumers than the increase in 4K resolution. HDR 10 Plus should have been the default system from the beginning with its Dynamic Metadata which changes the brightness and contrast intensity scene by scene, which is what HDR experience should have been from the start!

HDR 10 Plus and DV can be an option for the consumers to choose but to have the basic HDR 10 is a big mistake and rushed to the public.

We need more 4K content and SKY should introduce some HDR content as well, I bet SkY is also confused with HDR fiasco and playing wait and see game.

Any chance you guys could cover new developments in the world of PC displays please? LG just announced a range of HDR PC monitors, including a 5K Ultrawide. They all use the new VESAHDR standard (yes, another standard), which is weirdly based around nits. VESA400 is a mere 400 nits, and there's also VESA600 and VESA1000.

The HDR is a mess tbh. Everyone has now realized that HDR 10 with its static metadata is not good and looks horrible with content. HDR supposed to be the biggest selling point to the consumers than the increase in 4K resolution. HDR 10 Plus should have been the default system from the beginning with its Dynamic Metadata which changes the brightness and contrast intensity scene by scene, which is what HDR experience should have been from the start!

HDR 10 Plus and DV can be an option for the consumers to choose but to have the basic HDR 10 is a big mistake and rushed to the public.

We need more 4K content and SKY should introduce some HDR content as well, I bet SkY is also confused with HDR fiasco and playing wait and see game.

Sorry, but I really can't agree at all. HDR10 is fine, more than fine in fact. I've seen many 4K BDs in HDR10 and there are no issues, - no banding, no clipping, nothing at all. Look at some of the comparisons out there between HDR10 discs and DV discs, the differences are microscopic.

HDR is a mess because there are too many "standards". There should be only one, if that one was HDR10, then I'd be fine with that. It's a perfectly good format which works.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom