CES 2019 News: Samsung to add iTunes to Smart TVs - news discussion

I have a good iTunes collection of junky movies I love which I watch on the Apple TV and I have to say that I wish they put ANY effort at all into the interface.
All it has is the most perfunctory categories and it drops you straight into the shopping (rent/buy) which isn't where I buy them.
When I open it I know what I want to watch (or at least what type of movie I want).
I do hope Apple up their game and make the UI more appealing, Netflix are miles ahead of everyone (even Amazon's is terrible in listing shows by Seasons instead of Series).

Does this mean I will not need to buy an Apple TV 4K, and instead I can access the same content via a 2018/19 Samsung?

Does this mean I will not need to buy an Apple TV 4K, and instead I can access the same content via a 2018/19 Samsung?

Yes.

This is good news, and just another reason why I perhaps should have held onto the Q9FN last year as I could have moved the Apple TV to the bedroom!

Also worth noting this is likely due to their upcoming streaming service.

Also worth noting this is likely due to their upcoming streaming service.
Do you think that we are talking a Netflix style streaming?
Can’t think of anything else

Do you think that we are talking a Netflix style streaming?
Can’t think of anything else
Similar but different. Throughout 2017 & 2018 they were hiring talent from studios and purchasing rights to content ideas. I think at the moment there is a sci-fi show called See, Oprah show, Ed Sheeran Documentary and other bits. They want to focus on quality rather than quantity (somewhat true of the apple brand). If I recall correctly they had attempted to get the rights to Friends last year hence Netflix bumping from $30m to $100m and only getting a 1 year license.. There are buzzings of a more premium video on demand service to to back this up which would be bridging the gap between digital release and netflix budget streaming service release. Roll on March and we should know more.

So does this mean samsung will add support for DOLBY VISION steve or will it just be converted ?

Any idea if that means the iTunes app will also do Atmos on the Samsung? And what about DV or HDR10+?

So does this mean samsung will add support for DOLBY VISION steve or will it just be converted ?

Any idea if that means the iTunes app will also do Atmos on the Samsung? And what about DV or HDR10+?
I'm not expecting Dolby Atmos or Vision support on the Samsung iTunes app. HDR10+ is a possibility, but that will really depend on Apple.

Any chance the firmware update will be applied to the 2017 range as well? The MU and NU series are very similar after all.

Not sure why this is exciting news to anyone who owns an Apple TV..I’ve owned one for about a year and not once watched anything via the iTunes app. It’s a great media player and far more than just the iTunes app that’s coming to Samsung TVs

So I assume the NU8000 series will get this update? That’s awesome news. Anyone know of the timeframe?

Any chance the firmware update will be applied to the 2017 range as well? The MU and NU series are very similar after all.

I think it’s possible that some 2017 models might get the update but perhaps Samsung didn’t say it because not all models will be able to or that they need further testing. That said, I haven’t noticed many firmware updates on my 2017 model.

Samsung only mentioned 2019 and 2018 models, so doesn't look like it.

And there it is. My worry over buying Samsung (55" MU7000), getting over a hatred of the brand in the process, has been confirmed. I witnessed how owners of pre-2017 models were shafted by Samsung regarding iPlayer UHD and yet again they are showing they don't give a damn about customers, only selling new TVs. They'd probably be shafting 2018 models as well if they didn't have stock to shift before the 2019 models arrive... I have been saying for ages that I wish Apple would release a TV app as I'd love to buy iTunes movies, but don't wish to purchase yet another box. I'd like to be optimistic like @dvsuk, but the iPlayer UHD debacle points to history repeating itself. The only thing is I would expect Apple to have the clout to do something, surely they would want their service to reach as many people as possible?

Last edited:
This is fantastic news for HDR10+. After all the marketing Samsung have done in selling their TVs I can’t imagine them going in to this deal without securing iTunes hdr10+ content. Surely? Surely not?

Are there any major technical differences between the Tizen firmware on the 2017 and 2018 models that would prevent it from running the iTunes app? The platform seems the same but I guess the underlying system might be different.

Not sure why this is exciting news to anyone who owns an Apple TV..I’ve owned one for about a year and not once watched anything via the iTunes app. It’s a great media player and far more than just the iTunes app that’s coming to Samsung TVs

...have to agree - iTunes content is way overpriced when compared to the same content found elsewhere (films mainly).

I thought that Airplay support required the inclusion of some apple licensable hardware (a decryption and/or authorisation chip) ?

But if indeed it is coming to 2018 sets, I'll be a happy bunny. The only use I have for the apple box is to stream from other apple products, either mirror the screen for presentation, or streaming BT sport etc.

It'll free up a HDMI port.

Having only recently had a modern PC laptop in our house for the first time ever, I was pleasantly surprised that both it and the TV had the ability to stream wirelessly from it to the TV. Miracast apparently.

Last edited:
...have to agree - iTunes content is way overpriced when compared to the same content found elsewhere (films mainly).

I rent/buy most of the UHD content (that isn't available for free on Amazon Prime/Netflix) I watch from iTunes. Where can I pick it up for less?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom