CES 2019 News: TV manufacturers announce 8K Association

Associations for HDMI , 4k 8k what a waste

I liked this bit.... TCL will become a global leader in 8K display technology and push our partners, both streaming services and manufacturers, to provide consumers with the best possible content in this emerging new market

More than half the UltraHD discs that are available are not even 4K, they need to get that right first before spinning the 8K yarn :)

I feel the public will take a heck of a lot of convincing to embrace 8k after the lukewarm reception and support provided for UHD and 4k in general, plus sales of 4k uhd discs appear to be in the toilet. The quantity of available material is lamentable. There will be some with more money than sense obviously but even AV enthusiasts are likely to be cautious.

Last edited:
I liked this bit.... TCL will become a global leader in 8K display technology and push our partners, both streaming services and manufacturers, to provide consumers with the best possible content in this emerging new market

More than half the UltraHD discs that are available are not even 4K, they need to get that right first before spinning the 8K yarn :)

I doubt 8K will ever come via discs. It would need to much space and I just don't see 8K discs happening. I think 4K will be where discs stop. 8K will most likely come from streaming services.

Unless you have seriously good WiFi streaming 8 k will be a no go, could be 5 years or more for t.v. stations to get in on the act, even Netflix .long life in 4k

after 8k what will the manufacturers try and sell us? Im all for capturing content at 8k and scaling it to 4k. It looks better than if captured at a native 4k, just as HD looks better when scaled from a 4k source.

Who was the guy responsible for 1 of those hd optimiser discs who said that to take maximum advantage of 4k in terms of resolution you need to be viewing on a 85" + screen. So whats required for the full 8k experience. The 85" 8k Samsung I had a look at in Fenwicks didn't look anything spectacular, it was only because the display area touted it as being 8k otherwise I would have said it was 4k.

Unless you have seriously good WiFi streaming 8 k will be a no go, could be 5 years or more for t.v. stations to get in on the act, even Netflix .long life in 4k
It depends on how they market it I supposed. If it is marketed as a high end thing (which it almost certainly will) then 4K will be for the enthusiast and Blu Ray will be from those who want to upgrade to the new fangled HD technology.

As for bandwidth, 4K kind of only works because of HDR since the vast majority of users will never see anything like proper 4K with the limited bandwidth they have. But HDR can easily make up for that. I also can't see how 8K will work for at least another 5 years when "maybe" a critical mass of users will be on cable and fibre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps the 8K Association could communicate the following questions to their industry partners and broadcasters:

Why are you still broadcasting in SD?
Why do you charge extra for premium 'HD' channels when manufacturers are selling 4k sets as the industry minimum?
Why are you still producing SD DVD's?

We've barely got as far as HD being the industry baseline, let alone 4 or 8K.

And to be fair, the majority of people really don't notice or care about quality. Same with music.

plus sales of 4k uhd discs appear to be in the toilet.
Link please.

From Home Cinema Choice. Jan 2019.

upload_2019-1-11_19-33-10.png

This is the first time whereby I just don’t care. I embraced 4K as soon as I could and the difference over Full HD is there for sure. But it’s not the difference between DVD and Blu Ray in my opinion. The main difference to the eye is the colour.

8K may be ok for 100” displays plus. But what other real world situations do we need 8K? Certainly not in the home.

If sales are good why are a major retailer that's struggling like HMV not benefitting? Physical disc sales were down, what, 30% over Christmas?
Because people are buying online. Physical high street shops have to pay high rents. How's Amazon doing?

This is the first time whereby I just don’t care. I embraced 4K as soon as I could and the difference over Full HD is there for sure. But it’s not the difference between DVD and Blu Ray in my opinion. The main difference to the eye is the colour.
Because of the way 4K has been marketed people will assume that there will be a big difference no matter what TV you buy. There is only a real discernible difference between HD and 4k HDR with the right TV and the right source content. How do you market that? This is where the disappointment you feel is already being expressed in many forums. It would be interesting to see if they try to market 8K over the bones of 4K. By that I mean they could say "we know 4K wasn't that great but try 8K, it really is great!". I don't think they will do this but although marketing is practically a science, the aim is always to stop you from thinking and just to make you "feel" something is right. This works especially well with things where most people don't really have a clue like technology and politics.

8K may be ok for 100” displays plus. But what other real world situations do we need 8K? Certainly not in the home.
Presumably you went from DVD to Blu-ray to UHD. DVDs still sell very well.

You probably also have updated your Home Cinema in increments.

If you had a small TV and then bought a big TV would you notice your old DVDs looked bad?

If you then jumped to UHD would you notice?

Most people probably already have HD Ready or at best 1080p TVs. Buying a new 8K TV is marketed at them and I'm sure they will notice the difference. The older the TV you have the more you will notice stuff like this when you upgrade.

In the same way if you buy a new mobile phone every year you don't notice the difference. The differences are very small.

If you went from a Samsung S6 to an S10 you would.

This association would pique my interest more if the major firms involved in delivery were on board, I get the feeling of "push the panels out" more than "how we going to do it" from reading the press release and commentary from other parts of the web?

There are already some standards out there. This also needs ISP's, and code/decode (VVC on the way....). OTA in the UK I doubt, IPTV, yes but needs faster speeds to the home.

I did appreciate the difference with 4k on the demo panel I saw. I read the upscaling is very good. But I suspect my next panel will be a 4k unless there are some dramatic improvements between now and a few years time. Things are moving very quickly.

If the technology is there may as well push on with it. As a consumer you don't have to purchase it. If you have a flagship 4k HDR you use it until it breaks outside of warranty and then you upgrade to whatever is available then, such as 8k. This resolution jumping is to try and get you to upgrade your kit. Just be happy with what you have got and enjoy the progress of technology.

It will be interesting to see how much content is available in say 18 months time. With 8K, I will be watching the pro camera, ISP speeds, delivery (encompassing a lot of the ways and means to get it to your TV) and content.

Just checked the local fortune teller shop and they are all out of crystal balls so who knows which way it will go.

The recent Samsung ad said it all "upscale your favourite content to 8k" Right there they're underlining that 8k content doesn't exist, but if you upscale it all, it'll be more amazing than you can possibly imagine. Maybe for a decent UHD disc, but the local BBC news isn't going to look too good.

Everyone has to draw a line beyond which there is no need to go anytime soon. I've drawn my line and see no reason to change any part of my AV kit for many years to come. And I'm fine with that, I've got the best set up I've ever had within my budget and house layout. It's why I'm becoming a rare visitor here, over the last year I've used it a lot to help with stuff I've been buying, but right now I'm not researching anything so my visits and posts are fewer.

As for this association, it sounds good, but as with 4K, one of the manufacturers will want to go their own proprietary way; the "UHD Premium" label was supposed to make buying a fully featured 4k tv nice and easy? Wasn't it Sony, hmm?

I bought my last plasma in '12. I thought at the time, before 4K was even mentioned (at least that I can recall seeing), that I would change it around '21 or so. Still looks a reasonable time frame to me the way developments are going. Previously, I had a Panasonic TH5 42" plasma for 9 years (retired to my office), and before that a Sony 29" CRT for 9 years (gone to the knacker's yard).

I doubt 8K will ever come via discs. It would need to much space and I just don't see 8K discs happening. I think 4K will be where discs stop. 8K will most likely come from streaming services.
Streaming "cough" ... in the uk with Virgin Quoting 300+ Meg Then Throttling the Speed (Calling it traffic Management) Trying to Stream 4K is Bad Enough (its like watching Norman Collier - Remember Him? The UK Could Have Been a Leading Country With its Broadband Network? However As ALWAYS NoBody wanted To invest at the beginning (BT , VIRGIN , CABLE TEL) & Now they are ALL Spending Way More ... Than all chipping in at the start? You Gotta Laugh The GOVERNMENT have Promised Faster Broadband For ALL ... Except you know what past promises have come to? NOTHING? Brexit Anyone "cough"

I'm on virgin media myself and stream 4K often and never had a single issue with it handling that. Streaming 4K is about 15mbps and my connection is around 200mbps so it could very easily handle 8K. I know that isn't the average connection speed in the UK but still plenty to handle 8K easily enough. 8K will be streaming, I gurantee it. We aren't going to get 8K discs. It maybe a few years away but for the people who don't have the connection speed for it can still just stream in 4K or 1080P if needed.

If you quadruple the bandwidth 4K needs then that brings it to around 60mbps for 8K but i'm sure they will also come out with much better compression codecs to bring that even lower.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom