CES 2020 News: Hisense's upcoming OLED TVs resistant to burn in - news discussion

Would be nice if they released a 48" with HDMI 2.1 and support for G-Sync/Freesync... approaching monitor nirvana then, albeit still a bit too big. Definitely a step in the right direction though.

Sounds interesting and I can’t imagine them being too expensive either.

Those are gimmicks. The only consistent burnin prevention is improved panel cooling and in general panel technology improvements.

Those are gimmicks. The only consistent burnin prevention is improved panel cooling and in general panel technology improvements.
Fully agree - I also suspect the brightness will suffer if these gimmicks actually do anything - rendering one of their ‘improvements’ null and void...

I belive they still use LG Display wrgb panels so for me this sound only as a marketing....

I belive they still use LG Display wrgb panels so for me this sound only as a marketing....

LG starting selling open cell (unfinished) Oled panels to customers within the last 6 months. It will be up to the buyer to make any improvements they want (much like Panasonic have done in the past). I think this is what we are seeing here from Hisense ...

LG starting selling open cell (unfinished) Oled panels to customers within the last 6 months. It will be up to the buyer to make any improvements they want (much like Panasonic have done in the past). I think this is what we are seeing here from Hisense ...
In this text dose not describe hardver modifications only something what seems as pure softwer solutions.....or maybe i m wrong.

It is simple, really really simple.

The issue with the consumer is that the problem is put on their back not the manufacture. IF this problem is so rare the manufacturers should just accept they will get the odd one back and just replace or fix them - no questions.

IT'S just totally unacceptable the clause of burn-in on OLED guarantees at the moment.

AV Forums perhaps should stick up for the consumer and every time they review a OLED with a clause of burn-in on the guarantee make it one of the first things they mention in the review and also as a negative point in the summary.

It is simple, really really simple.

The issue with the consumer is that the problem is put on their back not the manufacture. IF this problem is so rare the manufacturers should just accept they will get the odd one back and just replace or fix them - no questions.

IT'S just totally unacceptable the clause of burn-in on OLED guarantees at the moment.

AV Forums perhaps should stick up for the consumer and every time they review a OLED with a clause of burn-in on the guarantee make it one of the first things they mention in the review and also as a negative point in the summary.

Indeed, and I don't think the damage this has done to OLED's reputation is something that can be underestimated. I've lost count of the number of people I've encountered who won't touch it for fear of burn-in, so it's definitely costing sales. Moving forwards, manufacturers need to adopt a different attitude or find a way to better mitigate the problem, and as you say, at the very least, offer something in the warranty which gives consumers some peace of mind. This position of "burn-in? tough mate, that's on you!" isn't sustainable or one they will be able to maintain forever.

OLED burn-in worries was why I avoided that in the new TVs that I bought last year. That said, broadcasters could help by not using dogs, bright static images and so forth. IMO, it’s a technology that’s still not really ready for prime time use.

Clem

OLED burn-in worries was why I avoided that in the new TVs that I bought last year. That said, broadcasters could help by not using dogs, bright static images and so forth. IMO, it’s a technology that’s still not really ready for prime time use.

Clem

Be a bit weird if broadcasters started making programs to suit the problems of one sort of tech that has come along.

Yes, but dogs and on-screen banners, etc. are grossly over used in any event, which doesn't exactly help the situation. I agree though, that the technology should be able to handle what it's requested to display without fear of damage. Until OLED technology is at a point where normal day-to-day use doesn't bring the risk of screen burn, with all the issues that then brings, it's not something that I'l be buying into.

Clem

Hisense are officially over OLED TVs
I really do not understand the policy of this brand, unless it concerns only Australia !

Yep just seen a video tour of their stands at CES and OLED is nowhere to be seen. They really need to consolidate their products and make the whole range available in all markets or else they are just going to anger their prospective customers.

Clem
I took the plunge four months ago by purchasing an LG 55" B8 OLED. I was skeptical at first but I am now blown away by the picture quality, the best I have ever experienced with no sign of any image retention or burn in. There are several Youtube comparisons between OLED and QLED and in every comparison I have seen the OLED picture quality far exceeds the QLED. It's horses for courses but I am very happy with my OLED TV.

How much would a 48" OLED likely cost?

Probably be just as expensive as a 55" OLED - may even be a tad more expensive.

Been confirmed that for the UK at least Hisense haven't announced any new OLED models.

Exclusive: Hisense is ditching OLED TVs

That's the big issue for those lesser names jumping on the OLED train. LG Display don't seem to leave them too much wiggle room to make a "cheap" OLED and the margins simply aren't in it.

Hisense was priced way too close to the competition to make any sort of a dent - they will have far better margins producing their own LCD tech and can pick up a lot of business as some of the bigger players have given up the ghost in that sphere.

A smart move perhaps ...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom