CES 2020 News: Is Dolby Vision IQ the next step in image immersion? - news discussion

Edit - So it is just adjusting the brightness of the display based on the ambient light in the room via a senor. Nothing more than that.

Sounds like this is dynamic tone mapping based on frame by frame analysis (similar to what JVC are doing in their latest range of projectors).

Although I'm not sure why IQ mode it is required with Dolby Vision, as the whole point of DV is its provision of dynamic metadata and I can't see why they would want to make HDR10 and other HDR formats look better - it's in Dolby's interest to deteriorate their HDR from the competing standards.

Unless the *only* benefit of IQ is to adapt the overall display brightness based upon the ambient light in the room... which is an option I personally would disable.

Maybe we'll see more technical details of this later, but I don't feel I'm missing out on much without it.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:
I read "This is all brought about by the use of dynamic metadata in the content datastream and removes any ‘guesswork’ by the TV as to how images should be presented, enabling the TV to make intelligent scene-by-scene optimisations. " as being a statement of what DV is already
and "Dolby Vision IQ uses the light sensors built into the TV to measure the ambient light in the room and adjust the Dolby Vision dynamic tone mapping accordingly so that details are preserved " being the new feature
but "It can also inform a TV of the type of content being viewed so any changes lead to an automatic and intelligent modification of settings for the new material" could be new or existing.

Our "old" TV also have light sensors so could do this too. But one of the first settings we often switch off is anything adaptive or Eco. It might be aimed at the observation that DV material can appear to be "dark".

From the report it looks like it solves the problem with the ambient light sensor/algorithm that current TVs have, (Hence most folks turn them off) so it can be left on to get a better picture.

Bill

On the LG 9 series they have AI Brightness which works for SDR - looks like this is the HDR version of that. But it is interesting that if you have LG 9 series OLED calibrated AI brightness disappears as an option. Be interesting to see if this is the case for the LG X series for Dolby Vision IQ. Interesting feature though but not enough for me to swap to a X series - George

On the LG 9 series they have AI Brightness which works for SDR - looks like this is the HDR version of that. But it is interesting that if you have LG 9 series OLED calibrated AI brightness disappears as an option. Be interesting to see if this is the case for the LG X series for Dolby Vision IQ. Interesting feature though but not enough for me to swap to a X series - George
i thought AI brightness worked exclusively on HDR content? From factory of course, not calibrated, and with tone mapping off

In any case progres is always velcome,sad that Samsung choose to stand alone and "punish" their customers....

Dolby would probably be better off trying to segregate their Dolby Atmos Music approach from their Dolby Vision approach as I see their music strategy as devaluing the Atmos brand. For example in this communication they are talk about "hidden details and given a greater insight into the musician’s musical vision, with instruments, harmonies and melodies able to be placed anywhere in the 360° sound field" via a single speaker or headphones! Next we will see Dolby Atoms Music Speaker Cables, that remove that hard to eliminate 360 distortion.

All this innovation - the HLG standard has this built in - you just adjust Gamma to ambient light. Can't understand why this wasn't in the standard from launch.

i thought AI brightness worked exclusively on HDR content? From factory of course, not calibrated, and with tone mapping off
Oops - yep you are correct. I made a request to LG to enable this for SDR. As I haven’t seen this option for six months forgot where it was - george

Dolby would probably be better off trying to segregate their Dolby Atmos Music approach from their Dolby Vision approach as I see their music strategy as devaluing the Atmos brand. For example in this communication they are talk about "hidden details and given a greater insight into the musician’s musical vision, with instruments, harmonies and melodies able to be placed anywhere in the 360° sound field" via a single speaker or headphones! Next we will see Dolby Atoms Music Speaker Cables, that remove that hard to eliminate 360 distortion.

Dolby Atmos from a single speaker - now that's magic...

Unfortunately, this sort of thing always becomes a problem when the marketing folks get involved and the company Executives want to make high-end technologies available to the widest possible market, at a lower price-point. I always worry when companies fixate on bringing their latest technologies to mobile 'phones...

It's like the low-end Dolby Surround/speaker products that attempt to provide virtual rear speakers using psycho-acoustic technology. It's a very poor substitute to using real rear speakers. I imagine anybody who goes down the route is likely to find it very underwhelming and will probably be put off ever buying a surround sound system again. But it doesn't stop companies flogging them.

In general, I think Dolby are usually pretty good at differentiating their low end and high-end products. Hopefully this marketing blurb is only a blip. We have to remember that the high-end market is declining as the smart-speaker (convenience) market is considered 'good-enough' by the majority of customers, so even established companies are racing to the bottom to some degree.

Regards,
James.

Dolby Atmos from a single speaker - now that's magic...

Unfortunately, this sort of thing always becomes a problem when the marketing folks get involved and the company Executives want to make high-end technologies available to the widest possible market, at a lower price-point. I always worry when companies fixate on bringing their latest technologies to mobile 'phones...

It's like the low-end Dolby Surround/speaker products that attempt to provide virtual rear speakers using psycho-acoustic technology. It's a very poor substitute to using real rear speakers. I imagine anybody who goes down the route is likely to find it very underwhelming and will probably be put off ever buying a surround sound system again. But it doesn't stop companies flogging them.

In general, I think Dolby are usually pretty good at differentiating their low end and high-end products. Hopefully this marketing blurb is only a blip. We have to remember that the high-end market is declining as the smart-speaker (convenience) market is considered 'good-enough' by the majority of customers, so even established companies are racing to the bottom to some degree.

Regards,
James.

Quite agree. These implementations of yet another variation of Dolby surround is going to confuse customers. This technology introduces a slight delay in to rear speaker simulation coupled with a tweak in the phase. That is all, it isn't magic.

I'd say it's certainly the next step in marketing guff. Call me cynical, and I appreciate super-techies may scoff at such a suggestion, but come on...

Manufacturers have got to sell next years' almost identical TVs with something 'new', right...(?)

Then again, if it's as much as a drastic game-changer as 'Netflix Mode' was, perhaps I should put my scepticism on hold for now...

Yep... Dolby better be very, very careful with marketing drivel based on imaginary pseudoscience.... or their badge and technologies will carry as much weight in future as THX branding does now.

Another Badge on the TV anything to sell the latest product. So considering this alters the brightness to your room lighting not quite the filmmakers intentions i thought Dolby were all about the movie been showed correctly. Oh well just another useless badge at least you can turn it off.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom