CES 2020 News: JBL announces Bar 9.1 Dolby Atmos soundbar

I've tried to buy another bar, same auto turn on problem... So annoying we can't disable this feature !

Why not use pcm ? For gaming and let atmos for movies

LG C9 doesn't let you select PCM over 2 channels until a firmware update comes out. So I'm limited atm.

LG C9 doesn't let you select PCM over 2 channels until a firmware update comes out. So I'm limited atm.
Yeah I known but I’m using a 40-50 bucks hdmi switch automatic. It works wonderfully with the jbl. Right now I have
Hdmi 2 = earc ==> jbl 9.1 <== Nintendo switch / chromecast / ps4/ Xbox
Hdmi 3 = Apple TV (atmos)

Chromecast (stadia) , and the switch needs Pcm for surround and it works wonderfully that way. Works great for Xbox and PS4 as well. Try it out maybe.

Yeah I known but I’m using a 40-50 bucks hdmi switch automatic. It works wonderfully with the jbl. Right now I have
Hdmi 2 = earc ==> jbl 9.1 <== Nintendo switch / chromecast / ps4/ Xbox
Hdmi 3 = Apple TV (atmos)

Chromecast (stadia) , and the switch needs Pcm for surround and it works wonderfully that way. Works great for Xbox and PS4 as well. Try it out maybe.

I'm not that bothered to spend that, it'll be sorted by the end of the year as LG have said the updated will be sometime in 2020.

I've tried to buy another bar, same auto turn on problem... So annoying we can't disable this feature !
Bummer! I happened across a post researching Apple TV (hardware) issues. This was a couple of years back, but people would see a similar issue (turn back on after 10 mins) . Some claimed it only happened if they left off watching a program before it finished and could be prevented by ensuring they didn't leave off in the middle of a show. Just struck me that there might be something similar happening. Perhaps close every app that you can on the TV as a test.

I'm not that bothered to spend that, it'll be sorted by the end of the year as LG have said the updated will be sometime in 2020.
I hope it's sooner than end of year. Someone posting on another forum about latest firmware but I don't know if any of this is the PCM/LPCM fixes.

upcoming firmware v04.80.03 extracted from the firmware itself:
webOS version updated to v4.8.0-52203
  • The device codec capability configuration for the EAC3 codec changed from 6 channels to 8 channels.
  • The list of CA certificates was updated.
  • Media server 8K video playback support added.
  • The max size of the saved EPG data was increased (size of the volume increased by 10MB).
  • Airplay application was added to the list of apps which are kept alive.
  • Built-In App-Updates:
    - webOS Browser App (Chromium) updated (internal version didn't change).
    - LG Advertisement App updated.
  • Firmware updates of the following modules:
    - WIFI
    - Audio DSP
    - HDMI 2.1

Did anyone have any luck using the Soundbar with a Fire TV Cube (2nd Gen) ?
All the apps (Netflix, Prime, Disney) let me select Atmos sound but the soundbar only says "Dolby Surround". No luck getting help from JBL or Amazon.
So far only my 2015 Shield provides me with Atmos sound...

I don’t have on of those but check to see if you have pass through option for sound on it or bitstream.

Did anyone have any luck using the Soundbar with a Fire TV Cube (2nd Gen) ?
All the apps (Netflix, Prime, Disney) let me select Atmos sound but the soundbar only says "Dolby Surround". No luck getting help from JBL or Amazon.
So far only my 2015 Shield provides me with Atmos sound...

Are you plugging the Cube directly into the bar?

Finally took the plunge and ordered the soundbar from Currys. Was going to use my uni days and Quidco to knock the price down to £750 but with the currys 30% discount if bought with any TV I managed to get the bar plus a TV for £760. (Got 8 Quidco too so £752)

62948CA7-62AC-473E-98C6-FE70A4D0BE6E.png

Will put the TV on eBay and that will help towards the final cost of the bar. Will be night and day compared to my old soundbar.

Finally took the plunge and ordered the soundbar from Currys. Was going to use my uni days and Quidco to knock the price down to £750 but with the currys 30% discount if bought with any TV I managed to get the bar plus a TV for £760. (Got 8 Quidco too so £752)

View attachment 1310589

Will put the TV on eBay and that will help towards the final cost of the bar. Will be night and day compared to my old soundbar.

Genius!!!!

Brilliant, I took advantage of the 30% off too. I bought my LG C9 from them 10 days ago so called and asked if they would give me the 30% discount and they agreed so got it for £629. Which is an amazing price.

Delivered last night so will set up today 👍

Brilliant, I took advantage of the 30% off too. I bought my LG C9 from them 10 days ago so called and asked if they would give me the 30% discount and they agreed so got it for £629. Which is an amazing price.

Delivered last night so will set up today 👍

Well done mate brilliant deal too! Glad Currys honoured the discount. I just need to wait for an eBay £1 fee event again haha.

Hey guys. My jbl say new update today. Anybody has a patch note ?

What firmware version on you on? Mine is: System firmware version: 20133180

Ok. Mine is 20205180.
I wonder what is the patch note.

Tried to call jbl but they have no idea 😅

Last edited:
Ok. Mine is 20205180.
I wonder what is the patch note.

Tried to call jbl but they have no idea 😅

Ooooooooh, it's definitely newer then. I wonder if sound modes have been added?

Ooooooooh, it's definitely newer then. I wonder if sound modes have been added?
Wondering too. Maybe can deactivate smart mode without reset to défaut every time ? I will try few settings later I’m outside now. I called them , they take it to the higher up because they had no idea. Waiting a feedback

Wondering too. Maybe can deactivate smart mode without reset to défaut every time ? I will try few settings later I’m outside now. I called them , they take it to the higher up because they had no idea. Waiting a feedback

Do you know about the sound modes from the other thread?

Yeah I’ve checked them a bit. Will try. What I’m mostly interested is about smart mode remembering after turning off / on

lol typical JBL not knowing anything. Forgot to say I finally got my UK plugs last week after about 4-5 requests.

lol typical JBL not knowing anything. Forgot to say I finally got my UK plugs last week after about 4-5 requests.

Better late then never......🤷‍♂️

If you have a moan they'll probably give you a 20% off code.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom