CES 2020 News: LG announces 'Real' 8K TV lineup - news discussion

What is nano cell ? Is it LCD or OLED ?

Doesn't look like a massive update this year - the big news is what is leaked before the show (last year, leaks of the Z9, R9 and HDMI 2.1) and the rest of the news ('standard updates") comes during the show itself. Looks like 4K OLEDs aren't headline news anymore unless they are rollable.

The fact that the headling-grabbing 8K sets only have a 3rd gen Alpha9 (rather than and Alpha10) suggests to me that nothing revolutionary is going to be seen. AV1 support is nice but probably not needed since (a) I suspect this will only really come into play from Google and (b) an updated Apple TV will likely bring AV1 support if it becomes neccessary.

(AV1 is the IP-free equivalent of HEVC - YouTube/Netflix/Facebook/Twitch are interested)

the 8K logo below on the news release....
LG Real 8K.png

looks like a variation of the 8K Associations logo below,

5f71a92a92d0ed1bfd8b9bec230cae53_3x3.jpg

CES tech exhibitions, the CTA (Consumer Technology Association) which is behind the CES Show would probably not be that happy that their logo branding below is not being used / supported. Admittedly the CTA logo is a poor design, but that is not reason not to be fully compliant to it. with there news releases at CES.
c0b07bf38f9a88a2e6f8ad6e7d4139e6_3x3.jpg

Looks like LG 8K OLED marketing / production strategy is becoming a Real 8k mess...

Yours for just £9,999.99 ;)

Is there any 8K content yet?
You can see the compression in some of Netflix's 4k content as well as Amazon video if you look for it.
Outside of 4k bluray it's still not 100% there with 4K for me. I won't comment on how bad Sky Q can look
Don't get me wrong a lot of it the good content is stunning, but I dont feel we are quite there yet with 4K becoming the norm, so 8K content seems a way off to me

Can't see any point in 8k.... There's barely enough content of 4k and is darn expensive as it is.... So what's the point in spending a fortune on a 8k TV when there's no content ..... And please don't say it'll upscale 4k...... I'm sorry i simply can't see the point at all at least for several years.!

Is there any 8K content yet?
You can see the compression in some of Netflix's 4k content as well as Amazon video if you look for it.
Outside of 4k bluray it's still not 100% there with 4K for me. I won't comment on how bad Sky Q can look
Don't get me wrong a lot of it the good content is stunning, but I dont feel we are quite there yet with 4K becoming the norm, so 8K content seems a way off to me

Sky definitely use compression. Can't say I've ever noticed any compression on Netflix/Amazon though. Any examples?

I'm guessing the move from 4K to 8K will be even slower than FHD to 4K (which is still in progress ~8 years after the first consumer 4K sets were launched). A combination of few 8K cameras, high computing requirements (to process and store 8K) and the fact that 8K offers no benefits over 4K for 35mm film scans (only 70mm film will benefit) says to me that YouTube and some niche gaming products (i.e. simple graphics) will be the only 8K content for a while. Until 8K content standards are set (e.g. using the VVC codec) I wouldn't be an early 8K adoptor - ask those who bought the first few generations of 4K sets with HDMI 1.4 ports that only supported 4K30 and not HDCP2.2 or HDR how they got on once 4K content appeared that they couldn't play.

Video below very informative.

There still isn't enough Hollywood content in native 4K. 8K is too early l bet this TV won't even support H.266 (successor to HEVC) so what's the point of buying something already out of date! Pointless TV but l guess LG need new features to sell. I want to see an improvement to motion and ABL as a priority.

Experts say, the difference between 4K and 8k can’t even be seen below 100” screen sizes. 8k is totally pointless for the screen sizes we consumers buy. It’s just a marketing buzz word to sell, “the 8k must be better”.

Experts say, the difference between 4K and 8k can’t even be seen below 100” screen sizes. 8k is totally pointless for the screen sizes we consumers buy. It’s just a marketing buzz word to sell, “the 8k must be better”.
I'll be happy with my 65" C8 OLED for some years to come. There isn't even a dedicated 4k channel on SKY yet and the BBC still broadcasts local news in SD! Let's get 4k right first. Then worry about 8K in 5+ years time. On fact let's improve PQ forst and then worry about resolution.

I'll be happy with my 65" C8 OLED for some years to come. There isn't even a dedicated 4k channel on SKY yet and the BBC still broadcasts local news in SD! Let's get 4k right first. Then worry about 8K in 5+ years time. On fact let's improve PQ forst and then worry about resolution.
Exactly

What's with the weird background music and boy does he speak slowly: just want to tell him to get on with it!
Yes, he does speak slowly. Increase playback speed to 1.25 or 1.5.

Any news on pricing for the 77" equivalents? Hoping to see a price reduction this year vs. last year's sets!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom