CES 2020 News: LG launches latest 4K and 8K OLED TVs

Is there any news what's improved?

Upscaling ,motion, near black maybe?

Is there any news what's improved?

Upscaling ,motion, near black maybe?
Nothing during the press conference, but that's hardly surprising. My guess is that aside from possible improvements in black frame insertion, these TVs will be identical to last year in terms of PQ. Phil is at a closed door meeting with LG right now, so hopefully he'll have a better idea soon.

48" model only in C series. I would have thought a 48 in the B series would have been a no brainer to lower the entry price.

The two LG articles both mention real 8k being 3840 x 2160. I thought 8K was 7680 × 4320? Is it an error or are 8K TVs talked about in a different way to how 4K is talked about?

The two LG articles both mention real 8k being 3840 x 2160. I thought 8K was 7680 × 4320? Is it an error or are 8K TVs talked about in a different way to how 4K is talked about?
Typo, I'll correct it.

48" model only in C series. I would have thought a 48 in the B series would have been a no brainer to lower the entry price.
It actually costs more to make a 48" panel than a 55" panel because the factories are geared up for 55 and 65, so you might be surprised at the price of the 48CX.

Hey @Steve any chance these 2020 panels are 12 bits colors dept ?

Last edited:
I hope they boost the Peak brightness to over 1000 nits and also get the 100% sustained brightness up significantly - this dimming in full screen we have on the C8 and C9 is the biggest drawback to OLED currently- it has been limited to around 150 nits to try and limit burn-in. It’s just not good enough and I really hope LG can improve on this with the X series in 2020

Last edited:
Can’t tell from that group picture of the bottom right is the GX or BX and if it is the B what does the G look like?!

Hmm, methinks my C8 will be the last OLED I buy, and I should start saving for the MicroLED I’ll be buying in a year or two.

I hope they boost the Peak brightness to over 1000 bits and also get the 100% sustained brightness up significantly - this dimming in full screen we have on the C8 and C9 is the biggest drawback to OLED currently- it has been limited to around 150 nits to try and limit burn-in. It’s just not good enough and I really hope LG can improve on this with the X series in 2020
I'll go out on a limb and say that the peak brightness and full screen brightness will basically be the same as last year. Aside from Panasonic really driving the peak brightness to 1,000nits on its custom pro panel, I think OLED has basically reached its peak in terms of performance.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the peak brightness and full screen brightness will basically be the same as last year. Aside from Panasonic really driving the peak brightness to 1,000nits on its custom pro panel, I think OLED has basically reached its peak in terms of performance.

Are there any rumblings that LG may release a custom pro panel of their own like the Pana ?

Some digging into whether Black Frame Insertion has improved would be cool

If OLED has indeed reached its peak in terms of brightness, would that be such a bad thing? Given OLED's perfect blacks, contrast is still good from its 1000-nit peak brightness.

Some digging into whether Black Frame Insertion has improved would be cool
This is becoming a dream for LG owners :(, i was also hoping for 12 bit color dept but i don't think it's happening this year neither.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom