CES 2020 News: Samsung launches Q950TS and Q800T QLED 8K TVs - news discussion

If these are priced well, they will sell thousands..

No Atmos is a no go for 2020...
Also no one needs 8k, better 4k with 120 hz

Also no one needs 8k, better 4k with 120 hz

No Atmos? Anyone buying these almost certainly has a sound solution thats far superior to anything that could be built in to a tv.

No Atmos? Anyone buying these almost certainly has a sound solution thats far superior to anything that could be built in to a tv.

True, but means built in apps also don't support it. So you need external device, which you need to connect to AV then, guess Atmos passthrough does not work either.

But for example xbox needs to be connected to tv to use gaming features.

The TVs have hdmi 2.1 so should be able to pass Atmos. They’ll certainly be able to pass Atmos from apps, just like nearly all TVs nowadays.

Any chance they might have gotten rid of their issues around DSE? Personally, I have always been disappointed around Samsungs performance (quality control?) in this area...

Much as I love the Samsung TVs in general, without Dolby Vision I wont be buying, I was hoping they would introduce out this year as it is costing them sales but alas no.
I saw last years amazing 65” Q90 for €2200 (about £1900) just after Christmas and I have to admit I was very tempted but as an Apple 4K user with loads of movies with DV I’m not buying anything that doesn’t support it

True, but means built in apps also don't support it. So you need external device, which you need to connect to AV then, guess Atmos passthrough does not work either.

But for example xbox needs to be connected to tv to use gaming features.
You don't need to decode Atmos to send it as DD+ from the internal apps on the TV to a soundbar or AV receiver via ARC, the 2019 Samsung TVs already do that. The 2020 models will support eARC, so they can also send Atmos as TrueHD as well.

Much as I love the Samsung TVs in general, without Dolby Vision I wont be buying, I was hoping they would introduce out this year as it is costing them sales but alas no.
I saw last years amazing 65” Q90 for €2200 (about £1900) just after Christmas and I have to admit I was very tempted but as an Apple 4K user with loads of movies with DV I’m not buying anything that doesn’t support it
Samsung's failure to embrace Dolby Vision on its TVs is a mystery to me, I have repeatedly told them to add it because with literally everyone else now supporting DV they are at a disadvantage.

It's weird that Samsung has gone to the effort of putting height speakers in the Q950TS and Q800T but hasn't added Dolby Atmos decoding. The company includes Atmos in its soundbars, so they clearly have a good relationship with Dolby, so this decision makes no sense to me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom